1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Desktop, or gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JC316, Jul 11, 2008.

?

Desktop or laptop?

1. Desktop

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Laptop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I have a slight dilemma and I need yall's advice.

I have a good gaming computer (See specs), but lately I am not using the power AT ALL. I am mainly surfing the internet and playing older games like Doom 3. I figure that I could probably get about $1200 out of my rig, complete with the 22" monitor and water cooler. With that I could get a gaming laptop with a 7950GT, 8600M, or 8700M and those would probably play the only games that I am going to be interested in within the next year. I also like the idea of it being portable.

Now I have noticed that laptops hold thier value ALOT longer than desktops, so even if I got sick of it, I could sell it for near what I have in it. So my question to you is should I keep the desktop, or sell it and go for a lesser powered, but mobile laptop?
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming on a laptop makes no sense to me at all. Why carry around a bulky laptop that has a 2 hour battery life..
  3. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    who games on a laptop? lol I mean professionally anyways. you can plug it in a wall and hook up a mouse but it doesn't seem right.

- Christine
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I like having a laptop to play games like the sims 2 on and defcon when I'm on the train :) and other games I wish I could have one that could play bf2 :D that would make me happy. So I think you might be better getting a laptop and carrying the charger plug around because its not that much more effort if you have it in a briefcase or whatever.
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Nah... gaming on a laptop just doesn't feel right. I like to game on something a little more... sturdy/permanent... desktops just have a quality about them that laptops don't.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I agree there hat but using a laptop when your out or on holiday or travelling is quite good for passing time :)
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely a desktop.

1) It's cheaper.
    2) More upgradeable.
    3) You can get higher spec'd components (the ones for laptops always come a couple of months later).

A laptop is feasible only if you spend a lot of time on the move, and have a wall power socket at hand since battery life of gaming laptops is < 1hour!! Or if you go to a lot of lan parties and wouldn't want to lug your desktop, monitor, mouse, mouse mat and keyboard all the way.

(For example I'm getting one myself because I 'cycle' through 3 or 4 premises especially in summer, so the answer for me would be either one single gaming laptop, or 3 or 4 gaming desktops...:ohwell:)
  8. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think "Gaming desktops" are supposed to be desktop replacements.
    When I was waiting for my PC to arrive I had to use a laptop. I hooked it up to a 22 inch monitor and used a brand new mouse and keyboard.