1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Eyewear? (Gunnars)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jasper1605, May 17, 2012.

1. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    http://www.gunnars.com/

Strolled across this today. What are your thoughts on them; anyone tried them out? At first glance it doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know lol.

2. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    Whats the point of them?

3. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Allegedly to reduce eyestrain during gaming sessions. And also to enable a better viewing experience of LCDs outdoors.

To me, a pair of normal 10 buck sunglasses would accomplish the same thing. Eye strain is from your eyes not being able to handle high contrast differences from bright screen to dark room, how to fix?? Either brighten the room or reduce TV brightness. Sunglasses dim the TV brightness. I'm at a loss as to anything unique beyond fancy marketing these have.

4. St.Alia-Of-The-Knife New Member

Thanks Received:
    are they for people who already have glasses?

5. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    You can put your normal glasses underneath them.

6. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Saw a thread (and Giveaway) related to these over @ OCN. Really doesn't appeal to me though- seems a little excessive.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wearing glasses in general will help reduce eye strain, because they help keep the eyes moist.

I have a pair of gunnars, and I wouldn't use sunglasses. I'm very sensitive to large contrasts in light, so bright headlights hurt my eyes after a short while, so I wear the gunnars at night when I'm driving long distances, and they really help, this is something I couldn't do with sunglasses. The yellow tint is just enough to reduce eye strain, but not so much that you can't wear them at night or in dark rooms. Sunglasses are too dark most of the time, and if the brightness of your monitor is what you think the problem is, then just turn down the brightness setting.

You can get them with no prescription or you can get them custom made with your prescription so you can wear just the gunnars.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I might try something similar for night driving though, good idea.

In the rare occasion I am using a computer in an otherwise dark room, I have found that a simple small bias light behind the monitor keeps me eye strain free.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input. If they weren't $100 a pop I'd love to snag a pair and try them out. After 1st year med school finishes tomorrow I have many an hour to make up in video game land haha

11. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    (Psychopharmacology mode activated)

The only way I can see these really working is by preventing the eyes/brain from becoming fatigued do to the flickering of the screen as well as the high brightness inherent to close up viewing. Regular Rx lenses would have to be polarized to have the same effect.

12. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Go to hardware store. Buy yellow lens protective glasses. I just saved you money. Thank me later.

13. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    That's my basic thought too. I suppose I'll rephrase my last statement: I'd like to compare a pair of gunnars to yellow protective glasses lol.