1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Headsets Winter 2008

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kursah, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to start this thread not only to ask for help, but have a place for guys to share their experience with different headsets.

Recently my favorite headset thus far, the Turtle Beach HPA2 5.1 headset died on me, mostly due to some abuse, but also developed a buzzing from the front channel speakers. They can be found around the 50-80 dollar range, they are very comfortable, can go very loud on volume and produce some very good sound. They don't create the most bass out there, but I never had any severe complaints about bass.

Now I'm back on my Plantronics .350 headset I got for like 20 bucks at a Staples a while back, they're kind of my backup set, they have 2 40mm drivers that do a pretty good job (after some serious equalizer tuning). They are very light in comparison to the bulkier HPA2's, but still put out some impressive sound and just as much bass.

My first 5.1 headset and my least favorite was the LTB Magnum AC97 5.1 headset, they had high hopes, but fell short in overall quality, durability. My G/F uses my 3rd set (from RMA that is, a 1 year RMA, had the 3rd set by 6 months in from initial purchase). They do sound ok, but you will never the the mids or highs to sound right and the bass is really lacking.

So now with my favorite set done for, they've been through a good while of serious abuse and use, I loved how they sounded for the most part. I'm not a serious audiophile, but I like having sound and being able to attain it when I want it. It's time for a replacement, I don't mind the Plantronics .350's, really I'm appreciating just how good they are for a budget headset, the mic pics up clearly, folds up to line up along the lh ear cup/support area, the pads sit on your ears which starts to pain my large ears after a bit...but they do what I want, and can go fairly loud.

So now onto my questions, what as of Winter 2008 is worth looking at? Then what about on a budget, I have a somewhat tighter budget due to the recent holiday so bang for the buck is very important. I am after gaming headsets, not headphones with a seperate mic, that's not what this thread is about. I have been looking at some of the following:

Plantronics Gamecon 367
    Plantronics Gamecon 377
    Sennhieser PC151

All of these can be found in the sub-50 arena which is where I am at right now...but I know damn good sound can me attained in this price range. And there are many others out there too! What do you have experience with? What do you prefer? Post it up here!

:toast:

Edit: I've heard some really good things about expensive Sennhieser stuff, I'm curious how many have had and really liked the PC151's, I want good sound, good bass, etc. The Gamecon's look very comfortable, but beyond that I don't think they'd be that much different from my .350's.
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have Sennheiser PC151 and I am preety satisfied with them, very light to wear, dont press on the ears, very crisp sound, you hear much. They would do good with a tad more bass on some occasions, but it's ok. (I like bass, so for some it might be enough, hehe)
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at that Razer set, looks tempting for sure...I'm still researching the Sen PC151's because a buddy of mine said to look into them. Definately a couple of good options, though I can find the Sennheisers for about half the price of the Razer's, I don't have too much experience with Razer, I've seen their stuff around for quite a while, just never purchased anything of theirs. Same with sennheiser tho, I've heard really good things for most of their headphones/headsets, but they get expensive very quickly too.
  5. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Razer is a good company. I RMA'd my Moray's because I broke them and they were prompt and friendly.
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Anyone played with the Steelsound 5H's or Sennheiser PC350 gaming headsets? Both look pretty comfortable, granted both are on a more expensive budget, both look impressive, but we all know that's not what good sound is about. Though comfort should be very important, it is to me at least! :D

7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have a Plantronics Halo 2 headset, it actually fully cracked on my side but i just taped it back up, they are really cheap ones.(they have a mic to, so that always good)
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I can't really complain too much about the Plantronics .Audio 350, they put out pretty decent sound for a budget headset...but the Turtle Beaches were by far better overall. I'm still kind of leaning towards the Sen PC151's, I found them for 39.99 shipped, and I'm sure they'll smoke these plantronics. I do require decent bass output and response..I am kind of looking at the PC350's, but they're a significan't price increase, I doubt I could pull that off...I'm on a pretty tight budget right now...and another TPU user is having issues with his set of PC350's atm.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  9. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can get like, a Senn PC151 from a shop just to try it out and then decide what to do with it, then do it.
  10. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    /subscribe I'm looking at the Gamecom 367 headset since my logitech one's screwed and I need one for my new rig.
  11. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    This is the one I have and I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006688ZC/?tag=tec06d-20

No one would have heard about this and would be laughing but you have to try to it to feel it. It has plenty of bass and infact more and I don't know how to tame it down. Games and Movies are really good.

It has both optical and coaxial inputs and can be attached with additional headset incase if someone else also wants to watch a movie or something.
  12. apheX?

apheX? New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1, The sound quality is good and with it turned up a lot, the bass makes them rumble and iss soooo cool whilst having a good ear massage! Comfortable over the ear headset and the sound is good quality as far as I know (as in i havnt had any experience with other ones everyone else had). Oh and its cheap.... :D

Only 1 problem i had with it. It requires quite a hefty bit of power, its usb and well i plugged it into my motherboard usb connection and either the mic or the sound wouldnt work. So basically both couldnt work at the same time, i had to buy a pci usb controller thing which had 4usb slots and provided enough powert and yhh it works immensely now!

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/products/sonar-5.1-gaming-headset.php
  13. apheX?

apheX? New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just looked at the Turtle Beach headset you had, they look amazing, much better than the one i suggested... no wonder mine had problem with its demanding power the Turtle Beach gets plugged into the wall and if you use the usb it still separates the mic.. :O

I found my next Headset!! Thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  14. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    I loved my old Cyber Snipa mouse, just a shame it broke after a year.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking of getting another pair of the Turtle beaches, they were just sooo good...but I think for now I'm gonna settle on the Plantronics 367's, they will be more comfortable than my .Audio 350's, and have at least some what improved sound. I may go for the 377's, though there is little difference between them to justify the extra cost in my mind...I actually sent an e-mail to Plantronics asking them to help me distinguish them beyond the vents on the back of each can.

16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well I bit the bullet and just went with another set of Turtle Beach HPA2's. The plantronic sets looked comfy, but I don't think the sound output or quality would be much beyond my current .Audio 350 set, which is decent, but seriously pales in comparison to the HPA2's. Plus at the price newegg has the HPA2's (52.99 shipped, 3-day UPS free), ya just can't beat them. Sure I could've went with some cheaper Sennheisers, but I just don't think they'd be as comfy or up to par for what I want. I'm not a serious audiophile, but I do enjoy well-rounded sound.

The HPA2's also come with an amp that requires a wall-plug, so no worries about underdriving from the sound card, plus with a decent add-in sound card they really take flight. So I'll be happy as can be with my next pair, for me it is the Gaming Headset choice for 2008 in my budget.