1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mike0409, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Just looking to see what everyone likes for Gaming keyboards. I had a G15 (The 1st edition G15 with the blue backlights)..and finally found out that it was shorting out causing my system to blue screen and crash, so I've smashed it into a trillion pieces and am looking at a couple of them online.

One is the G19 if I can justify the cost.

The Saitek Eclipse III (or 2)

The current Updated G15 with the orange lights doesn't really perk my interest.

And finally the Razer Lycosa

What's everyone experience with any other keyboards that are good for Media/Gaming?

2. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    and you didnt take a video for us to watch? :p

but ive had no problems with my g15(The Orange one :)), id say go with the g19

the lcd screen is the best, for vent clock or whatever.

Mike0409 says thanks.
  3. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Lol I should have.

Ya i mainly enjoy the LCD for Vent, or clock usage. So I would like an option with it, the only ones I have seen with the LCD screen.

4. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm also looking for a good gaming keyboard and honestly can't justify the cost for the G19.

5. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Me either...I would like to find something just as good as the original G15..but the orange colored one just turns me off. I guess I can order it and then return it or resell it if I don't like it.

But $150 for that keyboard...seems over priced.

6. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126034&cm_re=g15-_-23-126-034-_-Product
    the g15 is 75 after Mail in rebate US, so thats not bad

7. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I've never found a 'gaming' keyboard that wasn't pretty much all about gimmicks.

Some years ago, I got turned onto stand-alone board pads, and have never looked back.
    I now use:

Ideazon Fang:
    [​IMG]

Combined with Razer Deathadder(for strictly basic fast paced shooters) and Razer Naga (for most other things)

The Fang board has forty-one buttons(not including the very top row of multimedia). Combined with even a simple two side-button mouse, and out of the box, that's one hundred twenty three possible button combinations(and you could add the shift key, for another forty-one, and then special remap any number of keys in conjunction for a virtually infinite amount of combinations).

Yes, you could do that with a normal keyboard, but the layout is just so uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

The Fang does not require any software, though installing the basic driver that came off of the disc means you don't ever run into any USB issues(which I suspect some older Windows might have).

It took me about a month to get up to speed with the Fang, and the comfort, flexibility and accuracy is unmatched by standard keyboards. That's why I still have some crappy Compaq made keyboard lying around, because I only use it to type.

Oh and the Fang is cheap. You can get these types of stand-alone boards for less than $30, if not $20 at some places.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    digibucc and Mike0409 say thanks.
  8. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Was just looking at it, but its $8.95 for shipping....basically breaking even with the damn rebate!

Hmm... G19.......G15....time to flip a coin..

WHOA!! That's something i've never seen before.. Looks complicated as hell. Theres a TON of buttons up there damn!

Is there some other version's that Light up or what not? I tend to play in the dark..

9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Not complicated at all brother. Seriously, one month and you'll be flying, and the layout is just perfect. Forget all of the pretexted buttons, they aren't force-mapped. Windows will read them all as normal keys, no forced emulation or special remapping needed.

There might be other board pads like the Wolfclaw, that light up, but I don't believe any of the new Fang models do.
    Though you won't need it, your fingers will know what to do. All it requires is you to get used to it, and you're set.

10. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

So this thing replaces a keyboard completely during gaming sessions. So I use that + my mouse and just remap all the key's I want in each game?
    Looked at that, but for 80 bucks I can get the G15 with a LCD. Seems a bit overpriced for it. Seems a LOT of logitech equipment is that way.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. Enter a game, goto a binding options, press the button on the Fang and that's it.
    Set your mouse buttons (with whatever software you use) and it's the same as with a normal keyboard.

It doesn't matter if you play shooters, RTS, adventure or MMO/RPG, the advantages benefit them all.

12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
  13. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Hmm...very interesting. Are there some other variations? Something with a back-lit, since i do play in the dark.

This is very interesting tho..low cost, seems to do what I want...Hmmm...

14. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    The interesting thing about some of the Razor keyboard is that people are seeing a quicker response time with them. Some of them come with a polling rate of 1000Mhz. Although IMO anything above 500Mhz shouldn't matter. This is were the problem starts with other gaming keyboards. There is no information on their polling rate or how responsive they are in gaming. If you want just a keyboard for typing that's not a concern. But if you want a keyboard that cost more then $30 you want to make sure that you have one that's responsive enough to be considered a gaming keyboard.

Mike0409 says thanks.
  15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    truthfully i've had a much better experience using something like the G13, n52te, or wolf king pad.

wolf king has tons of keys, and is the first one i got. the only reason i stopped using it was the g13/n52te are more ergonomic, better for my fingers with long sessions. but if you are ok playing on a regular keyboard(g11,15 included) than a wolf king may suit you well.

then just use a regular keyboard for typing. a $15 logitech would do, i use my g11 for regular/work use with macros :) and the g13 for gaming.

it just makes sense. it's still a keyboard but it's MUCH better suited for gaming. a good one and a good mouse with a few extra buttons leaves every control at your fingertips, less finding keys and straining to reach them. plus the g13 is programmable, so any key can be .... any key. the g13 also has the g15s lcd, without as much bulk.

G13
    [​IMG]

16. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Is there a Backlight on it? Can't seem to tell... (Can't look it up at work..everythings blocked..)

Thats cool as hell. I never knew exactly what that thing did. I really liked this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826169019&Tpk=n52

17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:

yes it does. multi color actually.

all the keys you see there, mulitply by 3. there are 3 buttons at the top that switch through key designations. you can assign any of a number of colors (ill find out how many) to the lcd and key backlights. it also has profiles for many games, and you can create your own that launch when you launch the game.(sorry, that's all the g13)

the n52te is very good as well. I would recommend not using the dpad for movement, as it gets tiresome. use it for sprint or something that doesn't get used all the time like forward. also, it has a blue/green/red light i think. it also has multiple profiles/key designations. there are not hardcoded keys for switching though, you ahve to assign it to one of the existing keys if you want it.

18. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

Awesomeness.. Totally tit's. :toast:

Im pretty stoked about trying this.

Now that little thumbstick on it? What's the main use for that? Or an example of where it would be used..I cant see it being used in a FPS.

19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah im sorry i was talking about the g13 with choosing yourcolor. the n52te is very close in features though. 3/colors, tons of keys, profiles, etc. no lcd is really the only big change.

they mean for you to use the thumbstick as a movement key, but it's just not placed very well for that. also the key below it is for space, which prevents you from moving /jumping at the same time(if you assign that key to space that is). stupid on their part. it is also totally configurable, no set keys so they can be anything, including macros (toggle crouch instead of hold for example)

but i use the thumstick as: entire top half is run and bottom half is melee. then i don't have to find those two keys, and i just assign the center keys as wasd, and it works and comfortably.

20. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    there is also the g110 by logitech and i wouldnt look over the G11. It can be picked up for cheep now with the updated G110 coming out.

The g11 keyboard is great, the extra cash aint worth it for a little lcd screen, that only a handful of games support.

21. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I want a G19, but they are just too much, G15's I never really liked, I don't need that many hotkeys and lets be honest, it's fugly. I would suggest looking at the Saitek Cyborg, not the Eclipse. The Cyborg looks great, has lots of features, and is pretty strong, and incase someone breaks into your house you could also bludgeon them to death with it.

22. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i thought the same, but between fraps, sirreal, and bc2s stats im sold.
    it can be a perm hardware monitor. cpu load/temp, etc. fps.

i do wish there was more software for it, but i am happy with it(on my g13)

i did buy the g11 though, the screen wasn't worth THAT much extra :)

23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Here are a few that I've been looking at so far:

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110 (no info on responsiveness)
    MS SideWinder X4 Gaming Keyboard (prevents anti-ghosting for up to 26 keys) (Released March 10, 2010)
    Razer RAZER Arctosa Black (1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time, Anti-ghosting capability for WASD keys)

source

24. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

Can the Profiles be backed up after you configure them in case of a system loss? I would HATE to have to reset everything back up.

So both the Belkin/G13 are comparable. Hmm...interesting.. I think i'll try that G13.

Man this just opened up a whole new world, had no idea these things existed and how configurable they are.

Oh i like that MS X4 keyboard...it's pretty sexy...

25. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah you can import/export profiles, as well as download other peoples configurations off the forums, for both.

highly recommended :)