1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming laptop - Let me pause and ask you guys before I make a big mistake.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shevanel, Mar 26, 2010.

1. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am thinking of selling all my hardware to buy a "gaming laptop"

I am curious as to what people think about "gaming laptops"?

I know that this PC Asus w/ mobility 5870 is probably one of the better choices as far as gaming but what should i expect as far as for performance from this type of laptop?

Am I going to be able to play BC2 at reasonable framerates at native res and high settings? Hmm, I think not but what is your thoughts?

I went from a haf 932 to a smaller lian li htpc and it fits my 5870 perfectly and has handles and isn't too bad to transport around.. but I was thinking If I had a laptop that I could game with then taking it to work and over to friends houses would be much more convenient.

Can someone either A shed some light on the true performance of laptops that are designed for gaming and other possible laptops that could get the job done?

I'm looking to at least match 75% the power of the rig in my specs but im not sure thats even possible with a laptop so please, educate me! My budget for this latptop would be about $2200 so please make suggestions if you know of a machine I might be interested in.

Thanks!

2. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll keep it as simple as I can.....

I would not change any of my desktops for a so called 'gaming' laptop, not even my HTPC.

Why??

Because "gaming" laptops are hot, heavy and run out of battery life 5.2 seconds after you start them, the idea of a laptop is a portable, lightweight solution, not something that will break your legs because its heavier than one of Salma Hayek's tits. :shadedshu

Keep your desktop, enjoy it...maybe pick up something like an MSI Wind or even the EEEEEEEEEEE PC if you want to play around with a 'laptop' to keep your interests alive....you'll be shocked at how much you'll enjoy using one. :)

Edit: The Asus laptop is very nice but very expensive.....I'm sure if you absolutely must have a true laptop that can game you could get something relatively decent for around $1000.

These maybe??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220612
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696 (my pick)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    shevanel says thanks.
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Very good advice IMO...

4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming laptop? PM BlackPanther, she has one (and a very powerful one at that). I think she can better inform you of the pros and cons. I personally have no qualms on a gaming laptop as i am used to game with extremely weak graphics card (Nvidia 8400GS and things like that).

Gaming laptop is not ideal if you can have a proper rig as they are much more expensive and still quite weak compared to their bigger cousins.

5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    have you thought about a mini-ITX rig?

6. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL. I have no problems keeping my pc but I was just curious as to what kind of power i should expect from a gaming laptop with a mobility 5870.. If I can shove a machine that will play BC2 in my backpack then I am tempted. I am the type that cannot use an eeeeeeeeeeeepc.. I like my computers to be as powerful as I can afford but the mobility of the laptop has interested me but I dont want to get one and be dissapointed.

I am scouring the net but there isnt much info on 5870 mobility version.

I wonder if it is even as strong as a single desktop 5750?

I dont care about battery life. I am always within reach of a power outlet and I normally dont game in the woods.. I reallllllly just want to know how mobility graphics compare to desktops?

7. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    bollocks
    source

Maybe I should look into a smaller case LOL. My case is pretty compact as it is.. but there must be one that can fit a 5870 and be slightly smaller than my lian li pc-c33b

[​IMG]

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I like the sugo series from silverstone

9. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    correct me if im wrong, 5870m should get a GPU score of around 10000 in vantage, and desktop 5870 around 16500+ , big difference performance wise, BC2 wont look as pretty.
    so "Mobility Radeon HD 5870 should perform somewhere between a Radeon HD 5750 and 5770" sounds pretty much true

10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:

agreed battery/ heat big problems

11. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    yeah i've got an asus g71gx with a gtx260m in it, it is nice, and i like it but the added size and weight as well as the lackluster battery performance is not good. I can game places with it, i mainly take it to a friends house or to the coffee shop, but i won't be cought dead with it and no power cord lol, instead dead, like 30 minutes hehehe

performance wise, it's not bad, the 260m is only pushing 1440/900 res, and can play games like codwaw, mw, mw2 maxed out without a problem... games like bad company 2, dragonage origins... like med/hi settings.

one of the things i liked about my laptop was 6 gigs of memory and 2 500 gig hdd's right out of the box, nice fature, and the asthetics of the thing are epic, i just says gaming to me.

I wouldn't sell you desktop for a gaming laptop, it isn't worth it, and you can't always upgrade like you can a pc. Just isn't possible.

12. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    a mini-ITX rig with i5 750 and a 5770 should be easy to do... and not that expensive!

else a nice sugo series case, like the SG02-F should cost around 70$, you should check if your card fits! I just checked and apparently it does!

13. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    5870 fits inside the SG02-F?

I'd probbaly have to sell my mobo though eh?

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    yea, you'd need a m-ATX board... the 5870 fits if it is in the first slot I think?

-look here

The 5870 is 11.125" btw

shevanel says thanks.
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I like changing hardware and playing with new stuff as much as anyone but you never seem satisfied with your setups in like the most extreme ways :laugh:

16. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say buy a gaming laptop if it's reasonably within budget, but never to totally replace your desktop rig.

I bought mine since I have to travel to other locations, and only because such locations have AC ready to keep the power on. Basically the only game I can comfortably play on batteries is Sims3 not only because gaming battery life is only 45 minutes but mainly because the graphics cards downclock themselves while on battery and basically cut my fps in half.

Another reason not to replace your desktop with a gaming laptop is the lack of upgradeability. My lappie has a desktop processor Q9450 which I can upgrade to a more powerful processor provided it's 775 socket, and 4GB RAM which I can upgrade to 8GB. It's also got 2 8800M GTX graphics cards in sli. They're G92 and they perform much better than the 8800GT I had on the desktop especially considering the laptop's 1920x1200 resolution which I keep while gaming. But my upgrade options there are very limited. Afaik I can only upgrade to 9800M GTX and the hefty price to get 2 of them is definitely not worth the performance increase.

Add to all this that I bought this Clevo D901C (US Sager 9262) in July 2007 for nearly €3000, it's certainly no bang for buck at all. Convenient? Yes because I can carry it easily whereas I can't easily carry all my desktop stuff. For me it's convenient because I spend like 5 months every year away from my home where the desktop is. It still pwns every game I throw at it, at 1920x1200 max settings even Dirt2 on Dx10 (obviously with the exception of Crysis :laugh:) but in the future when it won't cope at all my upgrade possibilities are minimal and I'd be stuck with it as it is.

With a desktop it's easy to change the motherboard, upgrade to DDR3, i7 and whatnot. A laptop it's a different story altogether.

Another disadvantage is that it can't be overclocked. Mine's got a locked bios probably for safety reasons because one can't really install a good aftermarket cooler on a laptop.

17. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    The cat has spoken ;)

18. caleb

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt say that desktop is upgradable if you wanna game on it... 3 years and super hardware becomes junk.

19. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry, but the words 'GAMING' and 'LAPTOP' should never appear in the same sentance!

20. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I know I'm about to sound so stupid, but I did not know any women were here. I guess after going thru all my computer and networking classes and not seeing any girls, made me think women and computers didn't mix:confused:

21. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    You sexist pig........:roll:

22. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Sooo, what should we do to him, BlackPanther? :nutkick:

23. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    make him walk the plank

24. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    most of TPU was surprised, I bet, when they first met BP... not because she is a women into computers, but she is an extreme enthusiast like some in TPU, which you rarely see in women... And if you go to http://www.generalnonsense.net/, you will find out she is pretty too xD (ok maybe way off topic lol)

Some might even fantasize about their lady being as enthusiast as her lol :D

Then we get used to it and call everyone who does this type of remark a sexist, almost all the time followed by :p because we were just like you before :D

25. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Not sure but i think there is 3 girls here at TPU , maybe more..?

Another site where i am register there is one girl there that can mod PC cases like it was nothing she can also overclock & all...

We need more girls in the PC world , heck! I would like my wife to be a PC addict... ;)

Love you! Black Panther :toast: (that goes for all PC girls out there)