1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming mice : advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by assaulter_99, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Stearic New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've used both. I had an MX518 for ~ 2 years (2005 - 2007) and it was pretty darn good. Still in use on another system for general work and despite the abuse it has suffered, it just keeps going on and on.
    It's only problem was that if I alt-tabbed out of a game and back again, the custom bindings to the side buttons wouldn't work. I think that was a software/driver issue; the mouse customization software was itself a bit buggy and some settings wouldn't stick. Those issues may have been fixed by now.

Since 2007 I've been using the Deathadder and performance-wise it's better than the MX. It's more comfortable to hold, feels lighter (don't know if it actually is, though lol), easier to move around, and the Razer customization utility is top-notch. You can customize profiles (upto 5) easily with individual sensitivity. dpi, and keybinding settings. I've assigned macros to the side buttons for general usage profiles- very useful.

The deathadder's main drawbacks are its relatively poor build quality (my first one quit after 1 year or so) and the lack of a on-the-fly sensitivity changer switch. It has a profiles switch at the bottom which is pretty much useless in-game.

All pros and cons considered, I'd pick the deathadder for its better feel, performance and customizability, if you can live with its possibly premature demise under heavy usage :D

assaulter_99 says thanks.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I love my asus edition MX518!! i got it for free from a friend that ordered a gaming laptop and didnt need it (he didnt know what it was) so i traded him a OLD logitech football mouse that i got with my laptop :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    they would have been fixed, they completely replaced the software in setpoint 6.0 for the older devices.

4. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    One vote for G5, but the middle button is REALLY hard to press. Way too heavy compared to other buttons. If you open every link with middle mouse button, like I do, you'll have your hand hurting.

In fact I mapped the other side button as middle button, so if I need to open lots of links I don't kill my finger :)

Other than that it's pretty perfect, although could be a bit lighter (I don't use any weights) and a bit smaller.

Oh, just noticed, it's 2year birthday on my rev.2 G5 now. Bought it 7.4.2008 still going strong and gets plenty of use daily.

5. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    I've had both MX518 and Deathadder and for me, Deathadder is the way to go. It's just so much more.. I dunno, just better. Can't comment on G500 or G5 though, never tried them but Deathadder is just perfect for me and I love it.

BTW About the guy saying that build quality is shit, I have no idea what he's on about as for me, my Deathadder is absolutely top notch quality and after some fairly heavy use (at times), it still holds up like new after a year of usage. Also, On-The-Fly is one of the most pointless things ever, I had it on several mice in the past and it's just complete BS and I actually never used it because it's just not needed for 'gaming'.

6. Stearic New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's good to know since that mouse really deserved some decent software. I really miss its sensitivity switches; a godsend for sniping.

In BC2 my set sensitivity is perfect for infantry, but using a turret/ATM/vehicle MG, it becomes too sensitive and there's no easy way to switch back and forth without sacrificing one of the Deathadder's side buttons..sucks. I've stopped using those weapons due to this problem :banghead:

7. Stearic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dp

8. Stearic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I hope your mouse holds up and doesn't die just outside of warranty like so many Razer mice I know of.:D

As for the sensitivity switch, just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't .:rolleyes:

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    both my G5 and MX518's scroll wheels went crap after about 2 years of use. 518 stopped clicking/free scrolled (gaaaaaay), and the G5 just 'twitched' a lot.

that said, i damn abuse the things. toss em in a bag for lans, 8+ hours a day of use with constant scrolling on TPU...

10. Stearic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those were similar to the symptoms on my first DA. It had a blue LED in the wheel (gaudy! but disable-able via the utility), and while the LED worked perfectly fine :)D) one day, it decided it wouldn't scroll for shyte. A few days later, left click died. I swapped the L-R mouse button function via the utility, and although it felt weird :wtf: , it worked..used it for a couple of days until I got a replacement and by then it started jumping all over the place. Tried driver reinstall, software updates etc, but no go.

What infuriated me was that it died just about a month after its warranty was up (we get a 1 y warranty here).

But I got another DA nonetheless, this time with a white LED. Seems to be good so far.

11. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    This is not always the case, usually it is just because 2nd generation laser mice like the G5 uses a much heftier jitter reduction / artifact correction system, which on good surfaces causes them to be less precise than their optical counterparts.

Back on topic. The DeathAdder has one of the best sensors around and has minimal prediction. Overall I think it is better than the laser equipped Logitech mice in the same price range, plus the new version of it fixes some reliability issues that was present on the old design.

The DeathAdder and a decent mat will give you a lot of performance for the dollar.

Of course if you can try out the two mice in question, ergonomics have a lot to say so get one you feel comfortable with.

12. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    Theree best ones I have ever used are MX518, G5 and the razer Deathadder

13. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  14. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah the 518s texture leaves something to be desired, otherwise it is the best mouse i have owned.
    I currently use the G500, which is very close in feel, same function, and better texture. I am liking it a bit more than my 518 dare i say ;)

recommendation for G500 instead of 518. say no to Razer

15. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhh k i was thinking of getting the g500 when i give in the g5 that i have, and have the lachesis as backup.
    so id be paying 35 you think its worth it? ill prob go out and buy it anyway but though id ask on your opinion

16. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I def think it is. I thought the weights were stupid when i got it, but after messing with them they definitely made a difference. no weight was way too loose and too much was hard to move, but just right was... just right. i'm sure that point is different for everyone so that's why the different weights are actually pretty useful.

the mouse itself rocks. solid, performing, fast. the texture feels so much better than the 518 did, not greasy or slippery after extended sessions. I def think it is worth the price :)

and it's got the click/auto scroll wheel. whatever it's called you click a button and the wheel spins freely. very useful for long pages, etc. some people hate it but i love it.

epicfail says thanks.
  17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My G9 has that freewheel thing,i use it to read pdf's,its useful for that.Its over a year old now and still fine.

digibucc says thanks.
  18. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahh okay, ill probably be calling the logitech rep that told me i could get 50% off soon then and get a gift card visa when i go to town, i hate the lachesis for bhopping and liked the feel of the g5 so much more lachesis feels kinda smallish, and weird.

19. adcom32

adcom32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go with the logitech mx518 its really durible and and very well built very very smooth no need for those gaming mouse pads at all.

20. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Wow, thanks guys for all your precious insights on the subject. I think I'll be going with the deathadder, I got a killer deal, and it'll come with a razer mat. I'll just give me a day, maybe even less to be sure before pulling the trigger! ;)

21. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    So at the last minute, after testing both mice (feeling the deathadder/g500) I had a sudden change of heart and went for a g500, which I'm really loving, thanks for all of you who learnt me some precious stuff I didn't necessarily know with gaming mice! ;) So many buttons (which have already been configured : Setpoint 6 works like a charm on win7 64) cursor moving from angle to angle effortlessly, browsing tpu isn't such a core anymore rofl. So far, so good, it felt better in my palm than the deathadder. So again, thanks to all of you who have helped me.

22. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    g500 is ordered as off today so lets see how it goes :p

23. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    The problems with mice is that it doesn't fit everybody's bill. Like, for example, the free spinning scroll wheel, a lot of people hate it, but I am loving it! Thats what always buggered me with el cheapo mice, like my x6, jeez it started hurting me @ every click. I do hope it works for you tho, awesome mouse.

24. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The G500 (and I expect every high end mouse from them since the MX Revolution) has the new scroll wheel with free spine mode. I love it as well for going down really long web pages.

25. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had that on my Lachesis also, my lachesis works perfectly still i just didnt like how the mouse wheel was working, so ill keep it as backup, unless i decide to sell it to a friend for like 30-40 bucks to pay what a good portion of what my g500 cost me, which was 55 or something after shipping and tax

i probably will it looks alot like my fav the g5 but with more dpi