1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming monitor for £150

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aaronjunited, Sep 28, 2011.

1. aaronjunited New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you all recommend me a monitor on the above price tag or very close to it.

Looking for a decent monitor, preferably with 120hz refresh rate, if its not 120hz what performance will a monitor under 120hz be like?

Thanks.

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    You won't get many 120Hz monitors for that price, unfortunately. I think there's one or two and they're 1680x1050 panels. The Samsung 2233RZ I believe, you can now pick up for around that.

Note that I had one of these and the only thing it did well, was 3D gaming, the rest was average or below average - check out reviews. And it had one flipping well annoying irritating feature you won't find mentioned in reviews: Samsung monitors as a rule have their power lights flashing in standby. This one has a large part of the bottom transparent part of the bezel lit up attractively in blue when it's on. In standby it flashes like a lighthouse beacon and is intensely distracting and annoying. :banghead: I'm so glad to no longer have this monitor just because of this one thing.

I don't have any specific recommendations for monitors, but check out hardware reviews and prices from your favourite retailers. Just watch out for inflated prices and older product versions at PC World and stay away from those fraudsters, Overclockers UK. :nutkick:

Oh and welcome to TPU. :toast:

3. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
  4. qubit

Thanks Received:
  5. KieX

Thanks Received:
  6. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, after checking it out, that was a nice find. :D

I found a review for it and it got a "highly recommended" rating. Here's a snippet from the conclusion:

Apparently it had zero input lag in Thru-mode, which is fantastic. Personally, I find zero to be a little optimistic, because everything has a tiny bit of lag - nothing is infinitely fast - but it still must be really good. I want to use it for gaming at 120Hz, whether or not I use my 3D Vision glasses.

That review: www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1280136712

And finally, it arrives tomorrow, so I'll do my own mini review right on TPU! :rockout: