1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming mouse skeptic tries a gaming mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by james888, Jun 19, 2012.

1. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I have friends who tell me I really should get a gaming mouse. They say they are better but I never get a real objective reason. I have read reviews. The only thing I can see is better hardware. I just don't see that better hardware doing much.

My current mouse and keyboard set up is a logitech lx 310 combo. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q6RETS/?tag=tec06d-20
    I remember the packaging saying the mouse was 2000dpi but I can not find anything to back that up. I am happy with this mouse. Nothing to call home about, but nice.

I got a hold of a Creative hd7600L (velocity micro edition) for free. It has switchable dpi up to 2400dpi. My initial thoughts were that it is better built, and that it had very bright lights. . After some general use and gaming I have some pros and cons. The mouse sucks in general non gaming use. Either the mouse is too fast or two slow. I really liked the switchable dpi in games. The mouses' shape seemed like nothing at first, but was missed when I switched to my other mouse.

Was it a worthy upgrade from my current mouse? Not really.

I do realize that other gaming mice are magnitudes better than this. I still fail to see what appeal gaming mice have other than pretty flashing lights and better hardware. I still don't think that better hardware in mice makes that big of a difference.

Am I right in my assessment or am I wrong?
    What even makes a good mouse?

I'm not looking to buy a mouse. I just don't get it.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Tonduluboy

Thanks Received:
    Gaming mouse normally quite expensive.
    Bought $20 mouse n $100 mouse not much different.
    From my point of view as ordinary people, expensive mouse tend to last long ( from my own experience)
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I have a gaming keyboard, an A4Tech X7 G800 (PS/2) so it's relatively cheaper at around $18. My gaming mouse is an A4Tech X7-710BH, their cheapest, which costs $16.

The software that comes with the mouse allows me to reprogram the buttons, and it also has 5 programmable dpi. The 5 default values are 400/800/1200/1600/2000 dpi.
  4. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Well I will be honest - I resisted "Gaming Mousez" for a long time, preferring an ULTRA cheap generic optic/usb Logitech that one of my suppliers used to give away free whenever you purchased a PC case/ PSU combo the "M-BJ69"

The "BJ 69" amused me no end...

But this mouse felt nice responded well and did all I wanted just fine.

I tried a number of "GAMING mice like the god-awfull Logitech G7 and they honestly felt rubbish - they where to big too fat unresponsive unpredictable and just plain crap... EXPENSIVE crap!

THEN I TRIED A RAZOR DIAMONDBACK 3G... and my entire human-interface universe shifted.

I was forced to order one online immediately, and have loved the hell out of that simple sleek accurate and sharp as a tack little bastard ever since.

At this point a number of my friends then said "Aahhh he has finally come over to the dark side and accepted the true power of gaming mice"

But this is also not true - see my poor Diamond Back has now clocked a bazillion miles of furious dungeon crawling, frantic head-shots, and vicious rage-quits, and is getting close to the end of its days.

I find more and more as I test newer "GAMING MICE" that they are all pretty much the exact same SHIT that I had tried before the 3G... Bulky heavy clumsy unpredictable unreliable over accelerated garbage!

The problem is this : the fact that the Diamond Back was a better mouse for gaming had nothing at all to do with it being a GAMING MOUSE, and everything to do with it simply being a GOOD MOUSE.

What you really need to do is throw the "GAMING" bullshit away entirely and just look for a "Good Mouse" - one that suits your hand and play style, and just forget the rest.

This stupid "GAMING" label that is being attached to everything these days is just marketing garbage, and serves only to tell you that you about to pay double the regular profit margin for a product.
    erixx and KieranD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. aayman_farzand

Thanks Received:
    If you don't play games competitively, then you really won't see much of a difference.

I used to be on the same boat, and then I started CSS :p Some mice are crap though, acceleration or lift of issues and what not. And yes a lot of them do try to sell you just the lights.
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    True that. The problem with finding a good mouse is you have to try them. I don't have a local hardware store here so I can't try them easily. I am pretty happy with my Logitech mouse though.

I try to play well, if well means competitive.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Buy some cheaper Logitech gaming mouse. They have great warranty and I think you can get a cheaper mouse with same sensor as the gamer ones just read some reviews.
  8. Tonduluboy

Thanks Received:
    quite true some cheap mouse are garbage.
    My 3yrs old wireless mouse still working handsomely, n it only cost me around $25
  9. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    A4Tech's X7-710BH has the same optical sensor (ADNS-A3060) of higher end mice like the Zowie EC1/EC2 and Steelseries Ikari. It's the cheapest X7, so I doubt the more expensive ones have cheaper sensors.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  11. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    That's $115 over here. :laugh:

At that price though, someone's selling a used one. LOL
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I'm not really looking for a mouse but am happy to hear suggestions. I didn't realize it when I started this thread but I think bazookaJoe hit the nail.

What is it that makes a good mouse? Edit: and Why?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    sensor of course, polling rate which bigger is better
    buttons, that you can customize
  14. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Im still using one, it is truely amazing... the difference is slight at first but the behavior is superior whilst fast gaming and with longer sessions ;)

I haven't looked back since.

Keyboard is less of a difference, only the spacebar needs to be solid on that rest is over-rated
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Gaming mouse is just a lame marketing term, my Kinzu has no extra buttons and an optical sensor and its classed as a "gaming" mouse. A lot of companies just slap on extra buttons or a feature and term it for gaming.
    I just buy a mouse that has features i require or like and that is comfortable in use for my grip style. If i didnt play computer games, i would still require an accurate mouse.

The worst one is stuff like gaming headsets lmao.
  16. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    My first gaming mouse was a logitech G5. Comming from a cheap optical mouse, the accuracy was better, and was raping in cod. G5 made my hands hurt though.. the ergonomics was a bit weird.

Bought one of those a4tech x7 types (OCZ Equalizer) and the tracking felt off and was a bit 'jumpy' at times Lacked the smoothness of the G5 or the DeathAdder. The Equalizer's middle click and roller died after a few months as well (this is a known issue to those x7 mouse). Switched to a Razer DeathAdder, accuracy was good.. middle click died after 4 years though.

Currently rolling on a Razer Imperator and it pretty much feels like the G5 lol. Accuracy is exquisite. My BF3 stats sig is a testament to it :D. Middle click is starting to fail though.

To sum it all off, Razer is an overpriced pos. They look cool and gets the job done, however they have questionable build quality. Get a logitech or a corsair (heard the vengeance line of gaming mouse has good build quality)
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    A good gaming mouse can help a lot indeed compared to a generic $5 office mouse. Higher DPI for quick accurate movement is a great thing... I have 2 side buttons as well, but I've never used them. I like the adjustable DPI too... easy access on the fly button on the top of the mouse between the left and right mouse buttons. I can turn it down when sniping or turn it up to make very quick movements.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    "Gaming mice" are a bit more accurate in game and have a bit faster reaction speed. Usually these are mice with sensors that don't flip out when you move your arm really fast, and customizable hardwares settings. With a normal wired mouse, you are limited to 250Hz refresh whereas gaming is 1000Hz, if you turn down the sensitivity but make the dpi higher, you get better responsiveness.

This matters for FPS games.

The first real "gaming mouse" was the Microsoft Intellimouse explorer, so that goes to show you that the term is a bit vague... if they called it a "More responsive, better designed, more accurate" mouse it would be pretty self explanatory why it's better.

If you ever see some of the really good FPS players play, they have mousepads the size of pillows and move their arm across them in 0.1 seconds - really shows off the need for a good sensor.
  19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    gaming mice dont need to be expensive. I went from a $100 Logitech G9 to a $50 G500 and ive never looked back as far as the G500 is concerned its a 'G9x' in disguise as it uses same laser.

the laser tops out at 5700 dpi, but i really only need it to go upto about 4000 when gaming (starting from 3000dpi) and i zoom around my desktop in 3000dpi.

most people dont like using my PC because the mouse speed gives them motion sickness due to the speed it moves at which is fine for me as i dont like people using my shit any lol. no-one touches my baby but me!
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    to the OP:

the fact that its creative, means that its not a gaming mouse :p

try a mid/high end logitech or razer mouse, and you'll see things differently. (and use it for at least an hour, then swap back to compare)
  21. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I think just the fact that many mice are designed to be more compatible with games via their software suite and esp how many games recognize their added buttons is enough to warrant calling them gaming mice. Then there's the fact that many have higher DPI and/or on the fly adjustability for it, which is nice too. Some mice are also much smoother tracking than others. Along with these features durability ought to be a key factor.

To imply no mice are really made for gaming, or that their gaming features are irrelevant or redundant is nonsense though I think.
  22. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Steel Series has a nice lineup but I just can't spend more than $50 on a mouse.
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I know and it is tough for me to spend so much on a mouse.. I have a G5 (which is a good gaming mouse) but I can't stand using it due to its shape and the fact when you lift off, the cursor will jump to the left.. Can't have that and it's inherent with that particular sensor.

The first mouse I really liked was the Razer Copperhead and the Sensei or Xai are pretty close to it in terms of shape but with way better sensors and features. I wish Razer would still make the Copperhead. It's a shame they don't.
  24. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I had a MS Habu by Razer for a few years and then when it died recently I researched for awhile then said screw it and bought a DeathAdder which is similar. Fits my hand well, used to the side button placement and didn't break the bank.
  25. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    On what makes a good mouse?
    I am hearing a good sensor, a feature set match to your needs, and a shape matched to your hand.
    I'm not saying all of you do, but how do you buy these offline without trying them first?
    Crunching for Team TPU