1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming on my pc...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Victor286, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Victor286 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Specs:
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410
    CPU: i5 3570k: Stock 3.4Ghz / Turbo 3.8Ghz (so far I haven't figured out how to get the turbo to kick on)
    CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
    Mobo: ASRock Extreme4 Z77
    GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature Edition (Currently running idle at 1138 MHz via the Physic X App)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB (Windows 7 64-bit installed on this drive)
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB SATA 6.0 (Currently Empty)
    PSU: Seasonic X-Series 850W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Optical: ASUS DRW 24x DVD Burner
    Monitor: ASUS 23.6" Full HD w/Speakers (1920x1080P using HDMI to GPU)

I just put this system together and it was my first time building a PC ever. I had a little difficulty figuring out where all the cables plugged into because the overall lack of diagrams or decent information provided with the products. However, I was able to figure it out after a little trial and error (5 hours worth). I still haven't tried to do any cable management really I was more concerned with getting everything connected initially so its not as pretty on the inside as I would like.

I would like to start palying some games on this thing. What are some games that would play well on my current system at 1080P with graphics at the max or as close to max as possible? I currently only have Rome Total War installed on this PC from my Amazon Digital Games Library. I haven't had time to see what it's like on it but it's an old title so I doubt it will show off what my rig can do.

Is it Important that I overclock my GPU/CPU, or should running things at stock settings be fine? How much more performance does OC'ing generate in regards to gaming and everyday usage like surfing the net and messing around on the desktop?

Also should I purchase a gaming controller for games like Hitman Absolution, Assassins Creed 3, Battlefied 3 and so on or is it just as easy to use a keyboard and mouse? I would think a controller would be more intuitive and less time consuming which would result in a better gaming experience. Am I wrong to think this in a FPS where every second counts I would think navigating a keyboard and using a mouse would be a severe disadvantage over someone using a controller.

2. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about almost any game out there give or take a bit of AA.
    If I can't play a game with the KB&M, I don't play it.

3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

For the CPU, turbo should be auto enabled (?)
    Use a program like CPU-Z to run while you do something intensive. You should see the processor speed ramp up. If not, then it's disabled in the BIOS - you can enable it yourself.

Make sure your Vertex SSD has most recent firmware *or check that firmware works well without any bugs; it's hard to 'roll back' firmware once you've applied it*

Shame about your monitor. The GPU have for it is .. more or less overkill.
    Look to get a 27" or 30" soon if you can. 30" will be costly since the LG w3000h is out of production, but there's a lot of good 27" for $400 or less.

And in conjunction with the monitor comments, you won't need to overclock your GPU as long as you have that screen.

Yes, definitely get a controller. Logitech Rumblepad 2, XBOX 360 or Playstation 2/3 wireless (official only, do not get an imitation third party). The first two can come with PC usb versions (or can get a cheap usb adapter) and work with any game that supports controllers.
    It's nice and comfortable for certain game types. You also find that you will switch back and forth depending on the game or if you want to sit further away from the computer.
    Certain programs may be written to use both KB/M or game pad, but the experience might be clearly better with one or the other.

As for which games to play, anything you like!

4. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    You already made this thread and got an anwser so why are you making another one?

edit: And about using a controller... sure if you aren't planning on playing online FPSs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    If you already have answers I won't bother with that.

But I will jump on the controller discussion, they're great for a limited number of games. Just buy a used wired xbox 360 controller as almost all modern games have built in support for it.

6. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Or if you have a PS3, download MotionJoy.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    For FPS and some TPS You want a mouse and keyboard because there is never a Deazone like there is on a Gamepad. Driving- gamepad, joystick, Wheel with throttle/brake. Flight- Game Pad or Joystick with Throttle and yaw Pedals. Fighting Games- Definitely a Gamepad.