1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming problems, 8800GT, IP35 - crashes, glitches, quirks, BSOD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by harambasha, Nov 24, 2009.

1. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,
    I really hope to find one or two experts in this area ;)

As the title says, it's not been easy gaming with this rig:
    Asus nvidia 8800GT G92GT rev A2
    Abit IP35 Pro 1.0
    Zalman 600W modular
    Corsair 4x1GB CM2X1024-6400 XMS2 5-5-5-18

Problem: All kind of games are crushing down followed by BSOD. Even 3DMark06 crushes sometimes (IDirect3D9::GetDeviceCaps failed: Not available (D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE)).
    I have many error msg writen down, and I was investigating my self all over the internet, found a lot of nice hints and possible solutions but problem still exists - and I think I can't fix this.
    Here you can see screenshots just before BSOD/crushing, and there is few error msgs under some of the screenshots: http://amer.pictures.fi/kuvat/nvidia_errors/
    Crashing happens after 5 to 30 min of playing :banghead:

Played with different Windows versions (32bit / 64bit of XP, Vista and 7 ), ALL (mobo, nvidia) drivers versions tested - no go. The only noticable improvement was with Windows 7 x64 but still crashing and BSOD sometimes.

- RAM is tested few times in many different ways, works for sure.
    - Another used 8800GT tested and the same problem occures --> used card so can't be 100% sure (card owner says it works on his machine thou) :wtf:
    - ATI 4850 didn't even POST (beep, beep, beep, beeeeeeeep) but that was also used card so who knows :confused: but at this point it was hard to suspect the graphic card anymore so next was mobo to be replaced.
    - Tried with another mobo, Asus P5QL Pro, brand new one - actually was much faster mobo than IP35 Pro in everyday Windows tasks, but in games the same fcking errors and crashes occured - didn't help so I returned that mobo back :shadedshu
    - I ve tried a couple of different 8800GT BIOSes but no difference in here.
    - Tried also mobo's BIOSes 16, 17 and 18 but no go

Well, I m getting new Corsair TX 620W PSU and ATI 4870 Vapor-X these days but what do you suggest me to test first, new PSU with present 8800GT or new GPU with present Zalman? --> I should definitely return one of these new things since I m not rich at all right now, and I m planning to build new system next year anyway.

Any thoughts, help is much appreciated!

2. rahulyo

Thanks Received:
    Y not u try ur GPU on ur friend's system ???

U tested:-
    1.Mobo
    2.RAM
    3.GPU

U not Tested :-
    1.CPU
    2.PSU

3. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    No friends :D No but really, I just moved to Ireland few months ago and I still don't know anyone who has system with PCI-E here where I live, it's crazy that everybody is buying weak tiny laptops nowadays :O

1. CPU is tested with Prime95 and CPUBurn for many hours both cores 100% loaded and no errors.
    2. PSU I can only change to new one this week and will see what happens.

Thanks rahulyo!

4. IndianScout New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was on pretty much the same system but an 8800GTS, was rock solid with a good PSU,

5. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Looks like an error between the card and the drivers, probably due to a minor hardware fault. You need a new graphics card, mate. Is it old?

6. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Looks like an error between the card and the drivers, probably due to a minor hardware fault. You need a new graphics card, mate. Is it old?

Yep Graphics card problem I would say also.

harambasha says thanks.
  7. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    thats a nasty problem,,,, try the new psu, its the only thing u didnt check,,Corsair is good, i hope that model has Active PFC
    u might wana check out ati 5770 first,, its as fast , but more features and better energy efficiency

8. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    heh talking green BraveSoul? ;) actually good point.. and believe me or not I thought the same a couple weeks ago and was choosing HD 4770 because I have that so-called feeling that PSU is a problem at very peak power output, so the cheapest solution for me could be just to buy one 80eur card.. and the best for earth too :)

btw thanks all on sharing ideas

9. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    Zalman is a good brand, 620w is plenty for ur setup, perhaps the problem is in something else, but it would be wise to test every component, borrow psu from someone to check ur system
    BTW how is ur case air flow,and what temps gpu-z is showing for ur gpu

harambasha says thanks.
  10. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    will defo try another PSU --> next thing todo this week.

GPU temp is not shown anywhere else except in Everest Ultimate edition v5.xx TEsting mode it has, if you know what I talk about? it doesn't show temps in main Everest Sensor windows but in that little one which you open with right click from icon in task bara.
    Anyways, GPU temp is changing there from 50 to 60 C while in windows and goes up to 85 C in little gaming I manage to do. I remember it didn't show GPU temps in GPU-Z ever!

Case cooling should be fine. From the front 12cm modded a bit inclined but firm on place ;) blowing directly to RAM and GPU (downside of GPU card aka upside when you look at it in the case). There is 80cm on the back and Zalman's 12cm which is proly helping a little 80cm fellow a bit.

I ve found somewhere (damn can't find it now!) a thread about the same graphic issue and the last statment was from a couple years ago where they blamed Nvidia for not fixing the bug with that kind of system incompatibility. Well, there is new BIOS and many drivers come after that time so SHOULD be fixed many times already!

Keep you updated..

11. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    sounds like windows corruption to me have you tried a reformat??

12. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Played with different Windows versions (32bit / 64bit of XP, Vista and 7 ), ALL (mobo, nvidia) drivers versions tested - no go. The only noticable improvement was with Windows 7 x64 but still crashing and BSOD sometimes.

--->I tried a couple of different SATA II HDDs and always formatting (NTFS ofcourse), never upgrading

Got new PSU and HD48990 yesterday! Today test w/ new PSU first then if it doesn't solve, will throw new GPU in and watch P35 melting under it :D

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tested system ram?

have you manually set voltages and timings for the ram?

14. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming problems, 8800GT, IP35 - crashes, glitches, quirks, BSOD [SOLVED]

Mussels: RAM is tested in many different ways, and voltages tried with 1.8-2.1 scope - no errors but no improvement.

Tried with new Corsair PSU + old 8800GT --> problem persists, games stuck and crash.

Tried with new PSU and new HD 4890 --> problem solved.
    Tried with old Zalman PSU and new HD 4890 --> problem solved.

There was a minor hardware fault with 8800GT.

As I said in previous msg, looks like P35 is melting down because now I have some stability issues but that will be my next post to the forum if not solved in couple of days.

Thanks all for your support.

edit:
    Found another identical card and it does exactly the same problem! By the way, this is Club 3D nVidia card, not Asus a I mentioned in original post! Actually club 3d didn't even bother to answer me when I wrote them few months ago when problem occurred for the first time - Club 3D never again !! !

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009