• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Slowdown in COD4 online

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
you ever had an assumption it could be your room temperture effecting your computer; remember its summer so your computer temperture be abit hotter aswell.
But if you got the thermalright ultra 120 bp,the fan should be facing the front of your case? meaning it should be pointed at your DVD drive.
Make sure the pins are properly fitted in the motherboard,to test it is properly fitted in you try pulling the fan but not really hard so it comes loose lol.after that and its properly fitted in its all good :) and if you needed to re-apply thermal paste buy a arctic cooling MX-2 it would drop your temp by 2-5*C or something.
No-one should use a program to overclock the CPU because you can't set up the voltages properly etc.Best way to overclock the processor is by the BIOS.And if its un-stable at the lowest voltage e.g 1.32v,increase it to 1.35v or so to get stability.

bugzmurphy

The fan is positioned to force air through the cooler, in the same direction as the case cooling fans. My airflow is front to back, so there is no counter-flow air in the case. Where I live, you need air conditioning in the hot season. I don't run the computer unless I have air conditioning on.

The guy who put this thing together for me said that it is common to be able to move the thermalright cooler like I described, and that cooling should not be affected. Like I said, monitoring programs indicate that the maximum core temps I get are 43 and 41 degrees C, so unless they are massively wrong, I am guessing that the cooler is still doing a good job. I upgraded directx 9 (my version was not the latest) but havent tested the game with it installed.

Dumb question number two: Does DirectX 10 work with Windows XP 64 bit, and could it give a better gaming experience than Directx9?

thanks

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
depending on what games you play on DX10 and i don't think windows XP 64-bit does support DX10

Charper2013

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma Black Edition @ 3.2GHz 16x200
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Cooling XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler
Memory OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 & Corsair Dominator (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1250
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
Storage Western Digital 3.25 Inch SATA 320GB Drive
Display(s) SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor
Case LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Mid Tower Computer Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 8 Channel Audio
Power Supply Corsair 650HX ATX12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Proffesional
depending on what games you play on DX10 and i don't think windows XP 64-bit does support DX10

Well... I might get a infraction for this IDK.. But there is a way to get DX10 on windows XP... But it cant be tlaked abut in the forums..

bugzmurphy

Well... I might get a infraction for this IDK.. But there is a way to get DX10 on windows XP... But it cant be tlaked abut in the forums..
LOL, that would not stop you, would it?:laugh::laugh:
Im finding out a lot of things it isn't likely to be. I will probably be playing a bit this evening. will leave xfire running.

thanks

bugz

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
LOL, that would not stop you, would it?:laugh::laugh:
Im finding out a lot of things it isn't likely to be. I will probably be playing a bit this evening. will leave xfire running.

thanks

bugz

Just get Windows 7 RC. Its free and has all direct x you could ever need.

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
it sounds like it could be a hard drive problem i had a laptop with a dying hard drive and when you were playing music or video it would freeze for a fraction of a second every 10 seconds or so. the drive worked apart from that and all my files were still intact.

1. when your computer starts playing up minimise cod4 then check your task manager to see if a program is using up all your ram.
2. do a full reinstall first with all your hardware at stock settings them try the game.
3. get a loan of a hard drive and reinstall again.

bugzmurphy

thanks geofrancis. the hd doesnt seem to be the problem. I tested it when I tested the mobo components using some of the programs listed in this forum. Used a ton of stuff, so I dont have the names in front of me. it passed. I got the latest dx 9 upgrade, and played the game for a few rounds. I did not notice any problems. Maybe that was it? :) I downloaded a little program that is supposed to be able to suspend unneeded services while the game is going. If it isnt a trojan, it might be worth using it to see what it kills. I have looked in task manager, but am not smart enough to figure out what services are essential and what I could do without.

thanks
bugz

bugzmurphy

May have found one source of the slowdown. Several of you commented that windows services and other background programs could be stealing cycles from my computer, and causing my game experience to be slow.

I found a program called gamebooster.exe from 10bit information technology. It promised to help me to stop the unneccessary processes while I was gaming, and allow them to restart once the game was over. Crossing my fingers, toes, eyes, I installed the program (after scanning the download with everything I own). I fired it up, and let it stop most of the services that it considered unneccessary to carrying out the game.
What a difference! It was like having a heavy anchor removed from my leg. My avatar moved with good speed and no slowdown while I played. did not help my playing, but I dont get run over by inanimate objects anymore, lol. I hope that this was the solution I have been looking for. No need to bump up either my cpu or gpu to play perfectly adequately. I will game with this thing for a few days, and hopefully will be able to consider that problem solved. :) Thanks to all who responded, and if you find out that this program may be problematic, please post.

thanks
bugz