1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Upgrade: Which path should I take?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MaxAwesome, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Option A - Keep sig rig, upgrade to HD 6870:

Q9550 @ 3.8ghz
    8GB RAM
    HD 6870.

Option B - Get P67 + i5 2500k, 4GB RAM, keep HD 4890:

i5 2500k
    4GB RAM
    HD 4890

I want to believe that my sig rig can last another 2 or 3 years in gaming if I keep upgrading the GPU over time, but I don't think I can cope with peer pressure, so I was also thinking of moving to SB if the prices are right.

Which one would be the best overall Gaming rig?

Q9550, 8GB RAM, HD 6870

OR

i5 2500k, 4GB RAM, HD 4890

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get option number 1. but instead of getting the 6870, wait a bit longer for the 6950. Then laugh at people who suggested that option number 2 is better than option 1 in terms of gaming. Don't worry, your processor will still last at least a year, most likely 2 years before you will be forced to upgrade again.

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    NEITHER, what resolution you gaming at? It appears that ACER AL1717 runs a native 1280x1024, which is fairly close to 1440x900 for a widescreen res.

Honestly, upgrade your monitor first. That HD4890 and the rest of your rig should have enough grunt to push most games to 1680x1050, and quite a few games at 1920x1080.

Really I think a GPU or even system upgrade here would be a waste without pushing your hardware more with higher resolutions. Which is a plus for you with a larger screen, higher res, better GFX, easier to see enemies, text etc.

Get a monitor first imho. Something in the 22"-25" range, 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 or if you can afford it a 1920x1200 monitor. Just some food for thought...you're severely lacking in this dept where-as the rest of your rig is still quite good for gaming imho..why not utilize it finally?

:toast:

wolf and Fourstaff say thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, right. Kursah has got a good point. I totally forgot about that. But that said, you will still have some money left over if you picked option 1 and went for the 6850, so that can be used to buy new monitor!

wolf says thanks.
  5. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    option but but dont get a 6870 IMO, your rig is still beasty, it will be a while before that base setup will be letting down a reasonable single GPU.

keep your cash, and wait on what the 6900 series offers, personally (given what I'm expecting from reviews) I'd look at a GTX570, that should be a beast of a card.

EDIT: highly consider what Kursah is talking about.

6. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Yes, my monitor is 1280x1024, 75hz, 5ms, 17".

Thanks for the suggestion Kursah and all the others, but a monitor upgrade is out of the question.

You will probably say I'm an idiot, but my eyes are just so comfortable at this resolution and I don't want to change it. I've had it for a few years now.

7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Kursah on the monitor upgrade. Also, it is a wise idea to wait and see what is released this summer. We will have price drops on many cards, as well as Sandy Bridges and Bulldozer being released. When that time comes, you will be able to make a more informed decision. For now, WAIT.

8. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    ur an idiot.... :D

but honestly any gpu upgrade now is a waste... ur monitor is currently ur bottleneck

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    If you don't wanna run a higher res, I can't imagine you are having performance drops in games with your rig at that resolution, just keep what you have and save your money for a while till A. games catch up and stress your rig at that resolution, or B. you decide to game at a higher resolution. Save your cash man, you won't gain a thing right now except for e-peen and an emptier wallet imho.

You should at least go look at some monitors, it's a nice difference and I would be shocked if you weren't at least a little surprised how much nicer a larger viewing area is.

10. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, keeping the same monitor, how long do you think my CPU would serve me well in terms of gaming? If I keep upgrading my GPU in the future, but keep my CPU.

11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    atleast 2 years. Games for the most part still are not very cpu dependant.

12. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    with keeping the monitor your entire system will serve you well for a very long time at that resolution. As others have said don't waste cash on a gpu or cpu upgrade unless you're upping the rez; it's a flat waste. I game at 5760x1200 with a lone 5850 and an i5-750 and the only game that gives performance issues is crysis: everything else still sits at 40+ fps. If you really want to get rid of some money for no reason at all allow me to give you a suggestion go here. The children in Ugandan orphanages will thank you. (Note: that's not a joke, I support them financially and I've also been there and met the little one my parents sponsor; it's an awesome thing to do.)

13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Years, honestly that CPU should last. That rig will probably STILL be at least mainstream capable in 3-5 years. I run a Q9650 and recently upgraded from a Q6600...both of which are in similar shoes as your proc and are still VERY capable. Newer CPU's are badass yes...but I have read of many disabling HyperThreading so if you think 8 cores worth of threads on a 4 core good for gaming, start reading about it....at least right now in some games I play, people are having issues.

And on upgrading the GPU, I cannot say anything different than my A and B options in my previous post. It's a pure waste of money to upgrade your perfectly good GPU that is more than capable at it's current task with your current resolution and higher resolutions. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a good year or two or well more out of your current GPU atm too. The HD4890 is a pretty capable GPU as you know...why you're even running it OC'd defeats my mind. I love to OC too...but I've yet to OC my HD5870 because it runs so well at 1920x1080.

Honestly man, save your money until you wanna do the upgrade process right...you will waste your money if you upgrade before 2013-2015 (-ish... :rolleyes: ).

14. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Let's say that I started to game @ 1680x1050.

Would that significantly reduce the useful time of my sig rig? Or only the GPU would have to be upgraded sooner?

Because what worries me the most, is the longevity of my CPU in gaming, regardless of resolution.

15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    The GPU would probably need upgraded sooner than 3 years at that resolution depending on what game graphics settings are OK to you. But even then you'd be fine with the rest of your rig imho.

I have yet to see a CPU fail in my years of PC's, building and OC-ing and gaming. I've seen everything else fail, HDD's, CD/DVD, PSU's, MB's, RAM, Fans, etc. And yet I've yet to see a CPU fail in my experience, and if your temps are realistic for that OC, the voltage is fine, I'm sure it'll be ok. If you're worried, put it back to stock and worry no more. Hell even your system OC'd isn't necessary for gaming at your resolution. And with less volts and lower temps, in theory your CPU and hardware should last longer. Maybe you should detune your rig for piece of mind on longetivity, plus you shouldn't lose much on performancy if any noticable, keep your monitor that you're used to, detune your rig and gpu's OC's, run cooler, consume less power, and last longer.

The CPU will probably outlast everything else in your PC...so that'd be the LAST thing I'd be worried about, regardless of resolution.

MaxAwesome says thanks.
  16. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    i say WAIT hold on to your $$ till the new stuff comes then see what you can get

MaxAwesome says thanks.
  17. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Thanks once again :)

But I actually meant longevity gaming-wise. As in, how long till it gets slow?

18. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, there a bit of an update...

Today I sold my E8400 for 80€, and now there's a guy that offers 145€ for my Q9550. It seems to be a fair deal... I would probably get less for it after the launch of SB.

So, 80 + 145 = 225. I also have my two 4GB RAM kits (the ones from my system)

Kit 1: Kingston HyperX 1066mhz 2x2gb = 45€ (they are rated @ 2.3v for stock speeds, so they aren't great clockers)

Kit 2: G.skill 1066mhz 2x2GB = 60€ (Rated @ 2.1v for stock speeds)

So, If I can get another 100€ for my RAM... I will make a total of 325€.

That should cover much of the costs of going with SB, no? I only need RAM, MB and CPU.

19. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Im not trying to be an ass.. but are you dumb or just ignorant of the fact that weve told you 5 times that your bottleneck is your monitor and any upgrades you do is just pissing money away.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    ToTTenTranz says thanks.
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    ^ a bit harsh (better after the edit XD), but true

Unless you start gaming at 900p or better, you might as well invest that money in the Uganda kids, the karma boost will probably give you better quality gaming. I seriously think that giving money to charity will be more helpful for your gaming... YES I'M SERIOUS

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  21. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    haha being nice wasnt working :banghead:

22. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    This.

The problem with these threads is that most of the time, the OP isn't honestly willing to learn something new. He's just trying to get someone to say he should do what he's already decided to do, so that he feels better with the money-waste he's planning.
    And that's just anoying.

23. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Actually, no. I have decided to keep my current system for at least another year or 2. I was being influenced by the novelty of new hardware and feeling left behind, but after the replies on this thread, I realize that I am not, and that my system is perfectly capable.

If you think it's annoying, then stay out. I don't have to deal with arrogance and useless posts. If you had anything to say regarding my question and didn't, too bad.

If anything, posts like yours are what is, in fact, annoying. You come here, full of yourself thinking that your opinion will make a difference. Well it didn't.

Those who were willing to help, already did so.

rickss69 says thanks.
  24. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I would agree that the monitor comes first when upgrading so you should look into, but the graphics card part needs to wait until most of the AMD 69xx series cards comes out to decide on what one is worth buying over the other.

MaxAwesome says thanks.
  25. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:

I stand by what I said about most threads like these. Glad to know it wasn't your case (even though you did scratch the stupidity line with the CPU deals after everyone told you it was useless to change the CPU).

Regarding my annoyance, I wasn't even referring to you directly (I didn't even address anyone in particular) so there's no need for all that agressiveness.
    I have as much rights to say how this is annoying as you have to ask how you should spend $200 on gaming hardware to play on a $90 monitor.