1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gateway laptop left click issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karolpl2004, Apr 18, 2013.

1. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    not sure on the model number but the problem is the left click. first i suspected it was the track pad issue. after plugging in external mouse, the issue persists though less often. could it be that the track pad is shorting it out or something?

2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Have you try disabling the trackpad using the Fn+F key and testing with the mouse?
    And/or disabling the trackpad in the device manager and testing?

try reinstalling the trackpad software?

If it is a physical problem with the touchpad... you may need to disassemble it to clean it.
    It could have gotten gunked up.

3. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    its my friends laptop. she told me she had issues withe the thing locking up. but her version of a lock up was she couldnt click. i didnt try disabling the trackpad but ill try that tomorrow. by disabling it, does it actually hardware-wise disconnect it or just software-wise... my next step after that is to actually take it apart and make sure the ribbon is properly connected as she told me someone actually took it apart a few months back.. (noob) ;)

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe check the mouse settings to like speed and you should be able to set it up as you plug in a mouse the mouse pad gets disabled.

5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    No, you would have to remove the connector to disconnect it from a hardware point of view.
    You are only electrically shutting it down the way I stated. Sorta like flipping a chip to an off state; it is still connected, but not functioning.

However, if your friend is having "I click it, but it don't do nuthin" syndrome... Have them run a good virus scanner.
    Also, try turning off the A/V software or reinstall it. <--This is for testing purposes.
    Check the task manager to see if there are any memory/cpu hogs.
    Clean up with something like ccleaner and windows own disk cleanup.
    Defrag the drives.
    Use something like Autoruns or msconfig and disable unneeded startup items.
    Have them uninstall any apps they don't want or use.
    Turn off "call home and report" options for any apps that call home on a regular basis to better improve your experience.

Could be a system just being dragged down by junk.
    Just a few recommendations to try, if it is not a hardware problem.

6. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Is it single clicks or double clicks that aren't registering?

7. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    tried all that. no viruses, saved her 6.5gb in temp files, defraged, safe-mode does the same thing. it looks like a hardware issue...

both. its like as if it allows you to move the mouse but you cant click, double click, click and drag files..

8. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Gotta be software if an external mouse behaves in the same fashion like you said it did. Have you checked the mouse settings in the OS/driver to make sure that they aren't causing this behavior somehow?

9. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    yes, i tried reinstalling drivers/ removing drivers and still same issue. im still thinking it might be hardware related. im guessing its sticking maybe, thats why the external mouse has a similar issue just less often. thanks for all input!

10. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    If track pad start getting defective it may sometimes detect movement when there is none. So the mouse will do the same even on external.

deactivate the internal trackpad and see if the external mouse have the same behavior.