• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway Owners, C51GU01 Motherboard

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
while i had my gateway i looked for bios's that could unlock it. there were quite a few retail boards that used the same,but the foxconn was the only one with the stability but even then you can only change memory timings..the biostar 6100939 will let you overclock but the system is very sluggisg while using it

SAlexson

Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 3800+; 2.0 GHz; 2000 MHz FSB; L2 cache: 512 KB x2
Motherboard Gateway (Foxconn) C51GU01
Cooling Heat sync; Air Duct; 120mm Duct Fan
Memory 4GB 400 MHz (PC3200) DDR memory (4x OCZ Platinum 1GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS PCI-Express x16
Storage 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (Perpendicular Recording) 3.0Gb/s; RAID 0
Display(s) 2 x Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20.1" LCD
Case Gateway GT5058
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC653 AC'97
Power Supply Corsair HX520W 520 Watt
Software MS Windows Vista Home Premium; MS Office 2007 Enterprise Edition; Mozilla Firefox
I have a question about the flash procedures for Xerphon. I have a Gateway GT5058 with the C51GU01 motherboard (I physically verified this). I want to install 2 SATA hard drives and configure them in RAID, but Gateway seems to have hidden the RAID options in the BIOS. I know the board supports it because the identifiers on the PPID label of the board are "-6ELRSK" which according to Foxconn means 6-channel audio (6), 1394 (E), 10/100 LAN (L), RAID (R), SATA (S), Gigabit LAN (K).

So, I downloaded the latest firmware for the 6100K8MA-RS motherboard from Foxconn (version 54AW1P40). I downloaded Winflash (version 1.84, I believe). When I try to open the BIOS file in Winflash, I get an error to "Please open the correct BIOS file". Any ideas? Did you have to do anything special to get Winflash to flash the bios?

The board is currently running Phoenix BIOS 6.00PG.

Last edited:

Xerphon

I have a question about the flash procedures for Xerphon. I have a Gateway GT5058 with the C51GU01 motherboard (I physically verified this). I want to install 2 SATA hard drives and configure them in RAID, but Gateway seems to have hidden the RAID options in the BIOS. I know the board supports it because the identifiers on the PPID label of the board are "-6ELRSK" which according to Foxconn means 6-channel audio (6), 1394 (E), 10/100 LAN (L), RAID (R), SATA (S), Gigabit LAN (K).

So, I downloaded the latest firmware for the 6100K8MA-RS motherboard from Foxconn (version 54AW1P40). I downloaded Winflash (version 1.84, I believe). When I try to open the BIOS file in Winflash, I get an error to "Please open the correct BIOS file". Any ideas? Did you have to do anything special to get Winflash to flash the bios?

The board is currently running Phoenix BIOS 6.00PG.

I'm pretty sure I had the same prompt, is there any way to continue flashing after that message comes up? I don't want to see you mess up your PC, but let me look into it a bit more and i'll get back to you, but answer that question for me if you can.

SAlexson

Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 3800+; 2.0 GHz; 2000 MHz FSB; L2 cache: 512 KB x2
Storage 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (Perpendicular Recording) 3.0Gb/s; RAID 0
Case Gateway GT5058
Software MS Windows Vista Home Premium; MS Office 2007 Enterprise Edition; Mozilla Firefox
no...it closes the program completely when I hit ok

Xerphon

no...it closes the program completely when I hit ok

Hmmm... that sucks. I'll look into it and re-download everything and see what happens. It's almost 1AM right now so I probably won't get a chance to do it until the morning, but i'll try and get back to you ASAP... just hang in there...

Namslas90

Hey guy's, you probably need to DOS Flash with Boot disk(ISO).

Namslas90

Yes NP:D. I did however have a problem getting that old Biostarr bios off. But as long as his current bios is Foxconn, he shouldn't have a problem. Maybe try again, follow instructions on site.

Xerphon

Yes NP:D. I did however have a problem getting that old Biostarr bios off. But as long as his current bios is Foxconn, he shouldn't have a problem. Maybe try again, follow instructions on site.

Awesome, glad to hear it man. I fell in love with my PC since I flashed the BIOS to an unlocked version... Dropped the multi down to 10 and raised the FSB to 250, lowered the mem timings a bit, but running so much better overall... I'm glad to have someone else verify that it actually works too... I felt horrible when that other guy messed up his PC... :(

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
Well, I think I may have Biostar BIOS on this board. CPU-Z identifies the motherboard model as C51MCP51. When I google that, it comes up as a Biostart motherboard. However, I have opened the case and verified that the board is actually a Foxconn C51GU01. I also contacted Gateway, and they confirmed that.

CPU-Z also states that my BIOS is Phoenix Technologies, version 6.00 PG, date 2/10/06, if that helps any.

Xerphon

Well, I think I may have Biostar BIOS on this board. CPU-Z identifies the motherboard model as C51MCP51. When I google that, it comes up as a Biostart motherboard. However, I have opened the case and verified that the board is actually a Foxconn C51GU01. I also contacted Gateway, and they confirmed that.

CPU-Z also states that my BIOS is Phoenix Technologies, version 6.00 PG, date 2/10/06, if that helps any.

CPU-Z identified my mobo as the same thing, don't worry you have the right motherboard. We just have to get it to take the flash for the 6100K8MA-RS bios.

This is the page I used to figure out what to do using Winflash, http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

Also, make sure the bios file you downloaded is http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US...name=6100K8MA-RS,6150K8MA-8EKRS,6150K8MA-8KRS that bios file.

Sadly, I can't get winflash to work on Vista so I can't check to see exactly what I did. However, I do know that I selected all of the options to update (all the boxes should be blue, no green ones left) and you should check the box to clear cmos after flash.

I just followed the instructions on that page for how to use Winflash, with that bios file I linked you to and it worked for me.

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
CPU-Z identified my mobo as the same thing, don't worry you have the right motherboard. We just have to get it to take the flash for the 6100K8MA-RS bios.

This is the page I used to figure out what to do using Winflash, http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

Also, make sure the bios file you downloaded is http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US...name=6100K8MA-RS,6150K8MA-8EKRS,6150K8MA-8KRS that bios file.

Sadly, I can't get winflash to work on Vista so I can't check to see exactly what I did. However, I do know that I selected all of the options to update (all the boxes should be blue, no green ones left) and you should check the box to clear cmos after flash.

I just followed the instructions on that page for how to use Winflash, with that bios file I linked you to and it worked for me.

Well, I will try it when I get home, and let you know how it goes! I will be doing this with my fingers crossed. I have already looked into buying a new BIOS chip if this goes bad! :)

Namslas90

Ok, just so you know; The Raid Drivers are missing from your gateway, they are available on the gateway home site> downloads sections, They are not pre-installed on the gateways, but are available as a downloadable option. You do not need to Flash your BIOS to get the Raid funcion to work on your MOBO. To find them at Gateway go to the site and select downloads > All Desktops > then your model # and the list of avialable drivers should come up. If you just type in the Serial # or the Model #(and stuff) at the begining they will NOT show up.

:toast:

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
Ok, just so you know; The Raid Drivers are missing from your gateway, they are available on the gateway home site> downloads sections, They are not pre-installed on the gateways, but are available as a downloadable option. You do not need to Flash your BIOS to get the Raid funcion to work on your MOBO. To find them at Gateway go to the site and select downloads > All Desktops > then your model # and the list of avialable drivers should come up. If you just type in the Serial # or the Model #(and stuff) at the begining they will NOT show up.

I was thinking I need to flash the bios because I don't see the raid options in the bios. Am I making the wrong assumption?

Namslas90

I was thinking I need to flash the bios because I don't see the raid options in the bios. Am I making the wrong assumption?

Even the Stock Gateway has the option in the BIOS, but without the Mobo Raid Drivers it does not work. The Raid drivers were not included in the stock driver package. It was offered as an additional download at Gateway download section.

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
Even the Stock Gateway has the option in the BIOS, but without the Mobo Raid Drivers it does not work. The Raid drivers were not included in the stock driver package. It was offered as an additional download at Gateway download section.

For whatever reason, the RAID option was not available in BIOS. But, I was able to flash the BIOS last night with the Foxconn distributed version.

Couple of scares and notes though:

1. Clear your CMOS - I had a minor heart attack on the initial reboot after flashing the BIOS. After the OS shutdown and the system began to reboot, I got no video, and the POST just gave me a single beep. Talk about panic! :) Luckily, a simple clearing of the CMOS fixed it, and the system booted with no problems. I know winflash gives you the option to do this (though I didn't). I just did it the old fashioned way with the board jumper.

2. OEM OS Key - Being that this was a prebuilt system from Gateway, I don't know why I didn't consider this earlier. The OS license key is the OEM key from Gateway. So, changing the BIOS invalidated the key! Doh! First boot into Windows told me I had to activate my OS (I have had this system for almost a year, fully activated). This wasn't such a big concern for me since this whole process is to get RAID functionality to install Vista. But, in the interim, the COA key that is usually found on a sticker on the case, worked without a problem. OS activated again!

3. Hardware - Interestingly, a lot of my hardware was reinstalled in the OS on the first boot after flashing the BIOS. Not a big problem, no lost functionality, but makes for a very long boot process.

4. Software Licenses - Some software licenses became invalid causing me to have to reinstall the software. The one I had a problem with was AVG Anti-Virus. Not a big deal since I just redownloaded the software, reinstalled, problem solved.

5. RAID Controller - The RAID controller will not be detected by Windows until you enable it in the BIOS (I know this may seem a bit rudimentary). Even if you are not using RAID at the moment (like me), but want to make sure it is seen by the OS, enable it in the BIOS. Just don't configure any of your drives to use it.

6. RAID Drivers - Curiously, the RAID drivers that Gateway offers, stating that they are for the system model and the motherboard model didn't work. Windows XP could not install the drivers using the Gateway INF file. Going to the Foxconn website, I downloaded the drivers they offer for the Nvidia RAID controller. Installed without a hitch!

One last question I do have, after flashing my BIOS, my power LED (the blue light in the power button) no longer comes on. Is this controlled by the BIOS (couldn't imagine why), or might I have instead just knocked a wire loose when I was clearing the CMOS through the jumper? I am more inclined to guess that I knocked something loose, but I haven't had the opportunity to check yet (tonight's project). Just wondering if this happened to anyone else who flashed a Gateway system
I would like to thank everyone for their assistance in this project. I would especially like to thank Xerphon and Namslas90 for their insights and aid.

Good luck to all those that wish to try this in the future!

Last edited:

Xerphon

For whatever reason, the RAID option was not available in BIOS. But, I was able to flash the BIOS last night with the Foxconn distributed version.

Couple of scares and notes though:

1. Clear your CMOS - I had a minor heart attack on the initial reboot after flashing the BIOS. After the OS shutdown and the system began to reboot, I got no video, and the POST just gave me a single beep. Talk about panic! :) Luckily, a simple clearing of the CMOS fixed it, and the system booted with no problems. I know winflash gives you the option to do this (though I didn't). I just did it the old fashioned way with the board jumper.

2. OEM OS Key - Being that this was a prebuilt system from Gateway, I don't know why I didn't consider this earlier. The OS license key is the OEM key from Gateway. So, changing the BIOS invalidated the key! Doh! First boot into Windows told me I had to activate my OS (I have had this system for almost a year, fully activated). This wasn't such a big concern for me since this whole process is to get RAID functionality to install Vista. But, in the interim, the COA key that is usually found on a sticker on the case, worked without a problem. OS activated again!

3. Hardware - Interestingly, a lot of my hardware was reinstalled in the OS on the first boot after flashing the BIOS. Not a big problem, no lost functionality, but makes for a very long boot process.

4. Software Licenses - Some software licenses became invalid causing me to have to reinstall the software. The one I had a problem with was AVG Anti-Virus. Not a big deal since I just redownloaded the software, reinstalled, problem solved.

5. RAID Controller - The RAID controller will not be detected by Windows until you enable it in the BIOS (I know this may seem a bit rudimentary). Even if you are not using RAID at the moment (like me), but want to make sure it is seen by the OS, enable it in the BIOS. Just don't configure any of your drives to use it.

6. RAID Drivers - Curiously, the RAID drivers that Gateway offers, stating that they are for the system model and the motherboard model didn't work. Windows XP could not install the drivers using the Gateway INF file. Going to the Foxconn website, I downloaded the drivers they offer for the Nvidia RAID controller. Installed without a hitch!

One last question I do have, after flashing my BIOS, my power LED (the blue light in the power button) no longer comes on. Is this controlled by the BIOS (couldn't imagine why), or might I have instead just knocked a wire loose when I was clearing the CMOS through the jumper? I am more inclined to guess that I knocked something loose, but I haven't had the opportunity to check yet (tonight's project). Just wondering if this happened to anyone else who flashed a Gateway system
I would like to thank everyone for their assistance in this project. I would especially like to thank Xerphon and Namslas90 for their insights and aid.

Good luck to all those that wish to try this in the future!

Awesome, glad to hear everything worked out. As far as the power LED, yeah it stops working. I'm pretty sure it was Namslas who told me that it stopped working because it has something to do with Gateway's BIOS.

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
Awesome, glad to hear everything worked out. As far as the power LED, yeah it stops working. I'm pretty sure it was Namslas who told me that it stopped working because it has something to do with Gateway's BIOS.

That's rather annoying!

Xerphon

That's rather annoying!

Yeah, it is. I'm still looking into a way to get it working though, if I come across anything I'll be sure to post it. It's worth it though, unlocking your PC and all you have to give up is a little blue light lol

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
Yeah, it is. I'm still looking into a way to get it working though, if I come across anything I'll be sure to post it. It's worth it though, unlocking your PC and all you have to give up is a little blue light lol

I guess it is worth it, though I miss my little blue light! :) I am looking into it too. I have a few things to try tonight. I will post any progress (or lack there of) after my tests.

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
One thought I had...

Will I have problems installing Vista onto this RAID array without any drivers loaded? Will I need to have the drivers available on a disk (hmmm...no floppy drive on that machine currently)

Namslas90

The Power light function is in the BIOS and Gateway added a line for it, the stock Foxconn BIOS does not support the power button light. YOu would have to add a line of programming(or changing a value) to the BIOS.(good luck, I have had several people try this with no success).

Last edited:

SAlexson

Case Gateway GT5058
how obsurd is it to put the control of the Power LED in the BIOS?! I know some people like to customize their case lighting, but if you want it off...just unplug it from the board! If you are not saavy enough to do that, you probably shouldn't be poking around in the BIOS anyway!

Namslas90

Yeah, once the BIOS changes the MOBO identifier changes and according to MS that means new MOBO, If you call them you will just have to verify the mobo. The gateway RAID drivers will not work on the Foxconn BIOS, you need the Foxconn drivers(of course you found that out). Check the Optimize window thread to clean up your Boot process;
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11119&highlight=optimize+windows
Go here for Vista Raid drivers for Nvidea chipsets;
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/vista/beta2/

Namslas90

how obsurd is it to put the control of the Power LED in the BIOS?! I know some people like to customize their case lighting, but if you want it off...just unplug it from the board! If you are not saavy enough to do that, you probably shouldn't be poking around in the BIOS anyway!

I followed a lead from a freind once that said the power light connector could be connected to another location of the MOBO, but found no information to prove this. Have yet to randomly plug the header into possable locations on Mobo in the chance of finding it!!
(sounds too risky to me)