• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway Owners, C51GU01 Motherboard

Kibith

I have a Nvidia in currently. But the first thing we tried was trying a few different video cards and it still did not work.

Peasantman 67

Kibith,

I wouldn't have thought it was the bios based on that description.... and it it sounds like you have ruled it out as the cause. Besides the lack of video, does the computer seem to boot up normally? Do the keyboard lights blink? Or does the PC itself just give a series of beeps?

Thoughts about diagnosing are right along with AthlonX2's.... Have you tried removing the video card and connecting the monitor to the mobo video out? It should revert to onboard video auto-magically (no bios tweaks necessary). If this doesn't work then your mobo may be hosed.

Other things..... Remove everything that isn't necessary for PC to work (modem, tuner, etc) except for the monitor and keyboard and while you are at it examine to mobo for any loose connections, leaky capacitors, etc. Even try removing all but one of the memory sticks (assuming you don't have to pair up RAM sticks in this mobo) and try booting again. If there is still this problem, swap the memory stick with the one(s) that you took out . Absent any signs of life after doing this, or if there is any physically visible problem with the mobo, then I would start to agree that it is time to think new motherboard :cry:.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Namslas90

Before paying $200 for a new motherboard, go to BIOSMAN.COM and get a replacement Bios chip with stock Bios Pre-Installed(less than $30). A lot cheaper than the mobo and gives you a spare bios chip also. If the Bios chip restores the mobo then you can hot flash the old chip with a better version bios, like one linked in this thread.

:toast:

Kibith

In response to Namslas90 see my first post on page 5 on this thread. And in response to Peasantman when i boot up there is no beeps whatsoever. Some lights flash on the computer but that’s all. Also I have tried removing the unnecessary parts and booting, it still has not work, and I have also checked for loose connections. So yeah, it must be the motherboard, I ordered it and it should be here by tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

Peasantman 67

Kibith,

Good luck and I'm looking forward to finding out if swapping the mobo fixed the problem!

jafosse

i have a gateway GT5056 im intrested in overclocking it. it has the g1 version of this motherboard. It has anthlon 2.4 dual processor which i have heard good things about as far as overclocking but all the settings r locked out. If neone has ne idea how i can do this it would be comepletey appreciative...i am computer savy but new to the idea of flashing and overclocking....thanks for ne help

Peasantman 67

jafosse,

If you are serious about overclocking, then check earlier postings on this board about flashing this motherboard with links to unlocked bios for it. The unlocked bios will let you tweak all the necessary settings. It will also allow you to use higher-performing memory and to optimize that memory for your oc'd system. But you need to be brave because there is some risk. . . .

Good luck!

instyne

I have a Gateway GT5034 with of course a C51GU01 Mobo. It was my sister in-laws and all I can find out is that she said she was on-line when it took a dump. A lot of the things Nickl talked about seem to apply to this machine. I'm trying to confirm that the BIOS are the main problem but must eliminate several other parts first. With the monitor and keyboard hooked up. I plug in the power cord and without pushing the power button the lights on front panel come on, the HD and the fan on PSU both spin up. the monitor displays (no signal). I can hold power button 5 secs to power down and when I try to restart light comes on in front, HD and fan spin up but cannot get anything on monitor again. Are these things that others have experienced and not discribed. I really need to eliminate the PSU as cause before I can blame the BIOS or anything else. Does this mean the mobo is a total loss. My sister in-law paid about $1700. for the system and it will be a long time before I can go buy a new system, so this still might be a cost effective way to get something newer than my 5 yr old HP. Now comes the "PLEASE HELP!" opinions welcome.

Namslas90

If the PSU is the original one than it could be bad...If it went bad it most likley took the mobo with it. Shut down and unplug computer, open case side and look in botom corner near the back of case for a blue jumper. This jumper resets the CMOS. After grabing the inside of case (to remove static from youself) move the jumper to the reset position, wait 10 seconds and replace it to run position. Plug in computer and attemp reboot. If no change try a different power supply.

Last edited:

instyne

I tried resetting jumper no go. I will see about new PSU, as at this point it sounds like the quickest and easiest thing to try. As Arny once said "I'll be back"

Namslas90

FYI there was a bad mobo(C51GU01) version installed in some gateways computers. If it's still under waranty contack Gateway to see about getting a new mobo (free). If it's not under waranty, you will be better off getting a diff mobo, the authorized Gateway replacement is about $200.

Gerasik

ok dont be stupid

if you reflashed to this BIOS and your pc beeps like a dying animal, don, i repeat, DO NOT go out and buy a new mobo. sure go ahead hot flash, but thats more dangerous than what i did to restore my pc after this reflash screwed me over. basically everything is cached in CMOS and all you have to do is reset it. but how? open your pc case and remove the round battery on the mobo (on a GT5032 its right next to the pci slots, towards the bottom of the case.) now leave it out for a minute or two, to short out the CMOS. or to make things a bit faster hold a knife to the 2 prongs for maybe 30 secs. just stick the battery back in and VOILA pc will be back up again. of course you also have the reflashed bios there. when you get back on, start windows in safe mode, restart, go to BIOS settings, and load optimized defaults, dont go screwing around or same thing will happen again. hope that helped!

p.s., if this didnt help, go get yourself another nforce 6100 motherboard for like 80 bucks on newegg. =)

PuluPulu

I have a problem with my gateway gt5056.

Once turned on, the fan will run, LED will light up, and beep will start continuously with no display.

It just happen randomly just a few days ago, but I was able to boot after a few more attempt at turning it on and off; the same didn't apply again.

Any clue on where the problem is?

The only thing I done to this thing is insert a new graphic card awhile ago, and opened it up for a new 1GB ram, then it happened. It is not the RAM, because I removed it and same thing happened.

Namslas90

I have a problem with my gateway gt5056.

Once turned on, the fan will run, LED will light up, and beep will start continuously with no display.

It just happen randomly just a few days ago, but I was able to boot after a few more attempt at turning it on and off; the same didn't apply again.

Any clue on where the problem is?

The only thing I done to this thing is insert a new graphic card awhile ago, and opened it up for a new 1GB ram, then it happened. It is not the RAM, because I removed it and same thing happened.

Most likley you need a new PSU, the OEM PSU is not a quality piece of equipment. Oem PSU'S do not last long. I usually replace mine soon after purchase of a new OEM rig. What kind of GPU did you install, if its anything thats needs a power connector I'm suprised it worked at all. BE carefull, when the PSU blows is usually takes the mobo with it. Get a New and better PSU as soon as you can.

PuluPulu

It was ati 3850 256mb GPU.

I guess that is shocking discovery for you that it worked for more than a month :p

Are there any physical evidence I can identify with whether the PSU is done and/or the M'board as well?

Namslas90

It was ati 3850 256mb GPU.

I guess that is shocking discovery for you that it worked for more than a month :p

Are there any physical evidence I can identify with whether the PSU is done and/or the M'board as well?

Well the fact that the mobo boots means it still works. The problems you had booting tend to point towards the PSU. The PSU thing is just common knowledge for the most part. OEM psu's are usually the ones that dont pass the final test with a good rating and are therefore sold to OEM builders at a greatly reduced price.

Furthermore, on my GT5056, I instaled a 1900xtx and when i called Gateway I was told I needed at least a 500 watt PSU, they wanted to charge me $250. I bought one at Fry's for $160, and got a better PSU.

Gerasik

make sure all your drivers are up to date, if the middleware does not work properly, the hardware will have issues launching. hope that helps.

PuluPulu

Now that I checked my PSU wattage, I couldn't believe it last for a month either... 300? wow

thanks for the help, now I hope my PSU arrive before weekend (T-T)

PuluPulu

Ok my PSU arrived, and plugged in.

Now my gt5056 is still doing the beeping without boot screen.

It show the boot screen (gateway logo) once, and got stuck there when it was first turn on; then not anymore.

I did take out the round battery before, does that have anything to do with it? It seem to show me the boot screen with the logo after I remove and put in the round battery again.

Thanks in advance.

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Could I flash my HP NODUSM3 and OC my 4200+?

Namslas90

Ok my PSU arrived, and plugged in.

Now my gt5056 is still doing the beeping without boot screen.

It show the boot screen (gateway logo) once, and got stuck there when it was first turn on; then not anymore.

I did take out the round battery before, does that have anything to do with it? It seem to show me the boot screen with the logo after I remove and put in the round battery again.

Thanks in advance.

did you get a PSU with 20 pin ATX connector or 24 pin ATX. You gota leave the back 4 holes of the mobo conector empty with the 20 pin only connector, the extra 4 pin should be removeable from the PSU conector.

PuluPulu

With both 20 and 24pin connector to main board, the thing still beep like dying animal =(

jerc

Definely not a PSU issue. Try reseating your memory sticks. Almost everytime ive encountered a long endless beep it was loose ram.

instyne

I think you will find your mobo is shot. How long have you had it, maybe in the 12 to 15 month range. I have done a little research on Gateway. It seems that just about all of the GT5000 series computers had an almost identicle mobo. Many have gone bad. Mine was the C51GU01 which is a uBTX motherboard. I have found what I hope to be a replacement, this board is a KTBC51G. The web address is http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/AMD/KTBC51G.aspx. I'm not sure I will get it until I can find out more about its stability. I am e-mailing FIC.com to get more info and find out what kind of warrenty it carries. From what I have found out this is not the same mobo Gateway used but is based on it. (I'm really thinking of just getting a good ATX mobo and building something around it.) I will supply more info on this FIC board when I know more. If someone has checked this out already please post your experiences about it.