1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gearing up for the HWC Battle !!!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by BUCK NASTY, Aug 12, 2009.

1. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just gotta say that you Folder's have pulled out all the stops lately. During one of the toughest times to fold(Summertime heat), you have managed to fend off two teams the would have overtaken us in a couple of months. Hardware Canucks Forum was poised to overtake us in a few months, but a drop in their PPD coupled with the increase in our production, has eliminated them as a threat to us. Hunt-dis is a one-man show for Atlas Folder and we should be able to hold him off indefinitely. Now on to our future overtakes. It will take about 2 months for us to hit #55 at our current rate. With the fall/winter coming we should be able to recruit new members and have a nice jump in PPD. If you are having any issues with hardware/clients, post up in the F@H Tech Assistance thread. Once again guy's, Great Work!!!

EDIT: HWC is now bearing down on us. Please join the fight to protect our place in the F@H Rankings.

F@H Tech Assistance Thread

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    LOL, today while setting up my Pentium D 830 to fold, I realized there was a drop in update for the SMP client...and all my SMP clients in my folding farm had stopped working a while ago, about a month ago based on what I could tell...:banghead:

I guess that is what I get for setting the machines up and not monitoring them close enough.:banghead:

So come this weekend, we should be getting at least a little PPD boost when I have the time to fix all the clients!
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I have to say you have some decent PPD for a semi-retired folder.;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    We're not out of the clear yet. Hardware Canucks has been on a slight decline since their folding contest in May (or June), but I think this current drop is due to them missing some key folders. One folder, 3.0Charlie, is currently out his main and backup rig (if not a third in there) due to selling a fair amount of parts to customers. However he's currently making an Octo Core system with 3 or 4 video cards. I believe he was eying GTX 285s, though I'm not sure. He's doing a Tyan motherboard system though so he's going to come back swinging. Estimates put him around Bogmali in PPD.

Aside from that I believe a few others were in the process of upgrading / not folding at full for other reasons. We needed this time to widen the gap, however I wouldn't be surprised if we see them again and soon.

Absolutely great work on picking up the PPD however, its helping us take full advantage of this opening and also takes some of the heat off otherwise. Keep it up folks.
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  5. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Come winter time I should be up there with you Buck:D I just need to upgrade my circuits to 20A or even 25A. I can only put three rigs in my garage ATM, I'm aiming for five but with only 15A in my circuits breaker trips own me:wtf:
    mike047 says thanks.
  6. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Why did I ever feel like I could wage a folding war against a man that clearly has too much time and resources.

Damn you, Bogmali. Damn you.
  7. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You got caught in the rapture with Mmaakk:D
  8. mike047 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If we were closer, I would come wire it up for ya.

I did dedicated circuits for all my crunchers.
    bogmali says thanks.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I just can't keep up with the GPU folding, most of my PPD come from CPUs. I can't afford to keep up with the GPU numbers...right now...

I put together about 8 machines for little other purpose than to fold on the CPUs, some SMP, some just regular CPU folding. They all have PCI-E slots in them, but I can't afford to stick GPUs in them right now to fold with.

I consider myself semi-retired because I'm not really focused on folding anymore, I don't have the time or money to keep it going. So basically the PPD I still have is from the machines left over from when I was more dedicated to folding.

Though when I find good deals on folding cards, I still try to snag them up if I have some extra cash laying around, just like when newegg had the $40 9600GSO's. I could only afford one, but I snagged it up, and actually just brought it online folding this week.

If it wasn't so hot, I could at least have my X2 4200+, HD4890, X3370, and GTX285 folding...those would add some decent numbers, but saddly they make the upstairs in my house way too hot...
  10. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    The trendline is definitely heading in the right direction, up!

I'm waiting to hear from EVGA on my tradeup to a 250. Then I should be able to contribute even more.
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  11. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Well, they're mobilizing.

HWC
    [​IMG]

They're also 1 step behind us at #62. The big gun I was talking about earlier in the thread has come back, as of a few days ago, only at 22k PPD strong but I still expect to see him jump his PPD far past this. They've also got a slew of new members recently. They hit 472k yesterday overall.

With my first i7 100% ordered on enroute (should be here Monday) we should see a nice boost back up as I'll be adding 25-30k.
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Pfft, let's see them off my 9600GSO once I get back to school. Additional ~7hrs folding time 5 out of 7 days a week.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty sure I will be adding another 260 216 to my computer shortly, with the possibility of a major CPU upgrade around November (cpu is strictly WCG though :))
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I'm adding an additional quad GPU rig to the mix. I still have no idea where to power it from, but I'll figure something out. We need to start recruiting again. Any ideas???
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Check out the Folding Pie thread and leave your suggestions on what I'm thinking with the MPAs. The two can tie together quite nicely.

Also, we're looking at a hell of a rally then. Buck adding a rig (if he can power it) and several members adding cards / increasing folding time. Bogi fixing his intermittent issues and me adding in my i7. Looks good guys, love seeing it.

We might have a toe to toe war though.
  16. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, we have not folded this hard to be overtaken by anyone!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Buck, maybe you should consider purchacing a tesla coil to power your rigs?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. fixt New Member

Thanks Received:
    We See You [​IMG]
  19. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    this makes me wish that i had the money to buy a new PSU and a Nvidia card for my x2 crunching rig
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Trying to get a buddey with a PS3 to fold
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  21. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Oh Noes, Ninja's!:roll: Shall I smite them with my Ban Hammer? Welcome aboard and post up anytime. Remember, we are all brothers fighting for the same cause(and you know how brothers fight;)).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
  23. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Ok, the rivalry between TPU and Hardware Canucks is heating up. This Fall/Winter will apparently be brutal with much bloodshed on both sides. They claim to have a secret weapon and will be unveiling it in a few days. Regardless, I am stepping up my production. Later this week I will have Quad-GPU Rig#5 online and I am already working on the next rig. Post up and tell us of your plans for the Winter. If you were waiting for a reason to upgrade your farm, now is the time. I want to hear big plans from you guys!

:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. MonsterSound New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] no spies around here...(p.s. I've enjoyed your site for years, but the gauntlet has been thrown - all in good fun, of course.)
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  25. chriskwarren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha awesome! TPU is a great site and I have been coming here for a while.

It will be an honour to pass you guys as folding brothers.