1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gears of War (PC)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Grings, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anybody got this yet?, i didnt realise it was out yet, and there still hasnt been a demo but according to play they have it in stock.

So, if you have whats it like?, i havent a clue, as i've never played it on 360, so...

1. Is it good?
    2. Is it a good conversion? (or is the 360 version better?)

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I have it for the pc,i've not tried it yet coz it wont run on vista or it could be the anti cd inserted file doesnt work.

I do know the pc version is specially written for the pc tho'

3. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    it is a real shame M$ had to put this game on the windows Live nonsense, i cannot see many people being willing to pay to pay a pc fps online.

4. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, to clear up the Live! business, you don't need a Gold account to play the game :p

I'm using a xbox live silver account (aka totally free) to play on my pc. "The NINJ4" for those that care...

To summarise, it's sodding impressive (can I even use that word?? :p) On my 7900GTO i'm running it MAXED out at 1280x1024 with no lag, only a few lag spikes when it's loading in the background - yes, NO loading screens! The Vista recommended score for performance is 5.0... B-E-A-Utiful :p

The conversion is great, it plays wonderfully it's smooth - looks just as good, if not better than the 360 version. Oh, if you plug in your 360 wired pad you can use the original controls which are great, that's what i'm doing.

Oh, the bad part is that it's a 12GB install and takes absolutely ages :(

Oh, running it in DX10 mode seems to give no visual improvements over DX9 mode but you still suffer frame rate drops...
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxNiw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Chewy and Grings say thanks.
  5. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i got it 2 days ago completed today it is amazin there is just one stuttering issue i and some other have it generally stutter for a couple of seconds on some parts needs a patch i think the graphics are really awesome some of the most high res textures ive seen in a game

some people experience crashes but it runs fine for me the game takes 1 hour to install tho

ohh you dont need windows live gold to play online its free just some extra ranking feature are for windows live gold

6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Keep the reviews of this game coming.
    I had a suspicion there would be some stuttering in this game, being a console port.

7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    i bet theres a way to uncompress textures\sounds etc to clear most the stuttering up.

8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:

Have you done that or tried with Stalker?

9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Well, I decided to run it on XP, and I'm getting a problem that others have written about elsewhere.

Some of the menu/UI functions do not work. When I enter my video settings in the options, it won't let me exit them. Nothing will get me out of that screen. This happens in other places as well.

So I assume this is something that needs to be fixed with a patch, which unfortunatley comes through the Windows Live Games. Right, so I have a Windows Live account already. I also have XBOX live silver already. I even went as far as downloading and installing (shiver) the Windows Live Games msi.

I still cannot access the 'guide' from the GOW menu. So how am I supposed to log into LIVE and update it????

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Tried with stalker. Extracting the sounds almost completely cures the massive long pauses in the game. Such as when your coming back from wild territory an u head to that barrier post in front of you and the engine stalls where its unpacking sounds.

11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    NVM running it on XP. I knew that would be a headache, and all I had to do was go through Vista and voila; but I was being hard headed.

Anyways... minus getting used to the controls, this game is shaping up to be fun. The blood could be a bit more realistic but other than that looks good so far.

It's kinda like MGS + UT3 + Area 51 :)

Runs fine on my system with the DX10 + 4XAA setup.

12. v-zero Guest

Yep, it's great fun. Looks much better than on my 360, but the stuttering is really annoying me... I'm in Vista running this by the way - runs beautifully except for the stuttering.

13. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the stuttering comes just before cut scene's and large battles, it's gotta load at some point XD

14. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    But its not a console port! Its been totally rewritten for PC ;)

15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Mhmm, too bad I cannot get my playstation 2 controller to work. It won't even read it in the game ;/

That and I can't get it to accept my CD key. It just hangs.

Mebbe I should go around some forums and ask if anyone wants to sell me their Live account with GOW on it ;o

16. hugz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought it, but its not working :/ , I run it, then I watch intro movies and after microsoft's one the game is over =[ , I installed that vista fix, doesn't help, I run Vista 64bits, 8800GTX. and new beta drivers. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

17. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a bit wierd :(

I've had no issues at all with mine, yes it stutters - but it stutters when nothing at all is happening, or when the play pauses for the characters dialogs.

On Vista, I press the middle button on my 360 pad, the guide pops up, and updates install...

Anyway here are some screenies, my rig is in my sig.

Attached Files:

18. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK I found a fix for the stuttering, but it comes with a catch, you need alot of RAM. If you have, this should work great, it has for me.

In the file WarEngineUserSettings.ini (in C:\Users\*Username*\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Config\WarEngineUserSettings.ini),
    I found that changing;
    OnlyStreamInTextures=FALSE
    to TRUE (eg: OnlyStreamInTextures=TRUE) removes the stuttering, but probably will use more RAM since everything else (but textures) will be pre-loaded it seems.

Don't confuse C:\USER\......Gears of War with C:\Program Files\......Gears of War

This will cause slightly longer pauses between areas, I assume to load up textures. But then it runs smooth without stutters, which IMO is much better than before.

Enjoy :)

19. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    i have completed it on the pc and i must say it was very enjoyable too, i think the stuttering is because the game loads sections of each map as you progress rather than loading the entire map all at once resulting in long loading times.

20. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats not the stuttering bug people are talking about, I could put up with that ;)

21. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Im loving this on PC (I was a huge fan of the 360 version)

Im getting no problems and I think it works really well with the keyboard and mouse config :rockout:

22. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    It's ok with the mouse/kb, but ...it's not 'quick' enough. Even when I jack the sensitive up, both in game and out of game.

I actually want to use a controller with this game, but damned if I'm buying a wretched 360 pad for this.

23. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    But the 360 pad can be used for othter games aswell and they are very good quality. If I was you I would get a wireless 360 pad and the wire PC dongle :)

24. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Meh. There's gotta be a way to get any USB controller to work!

25. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    There should be but I remember oblivion and it didnt want to work right with my l=ogitech rumblepad controller :( I was in the same boat your in now... not wanting t pay for a 360 controller and 360 usb port thing lol.