1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce 9800GTX Tri-SLi versus GeForce 9800GX2 SLi - Who is the Winner Here?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by AuDioFreaK39, Mar 24, 2008.

1. AuDioFreaK39 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had an interesting question posed on me the other night regarding whether a Tri-SLi 9800GTX configuration would outperform an SLi 9800GX2 configuration, or if it would be the other way around. I thought it was a very controversial argument, and so I eventually came up with two of my own opinions on the subject matter:

The 9800GX2 is comprised of the same chips used in the G92 8800GTS (see here: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6392&Itemid=1). Therefore, it's a tough call whether a Tri-SLi 9800GTX setup will outperform the 9800GX2 - seems very reasonable. Here are the possibilities to consider:

1) Nvidia developed the 9800GX2 under the premise that it would be thee world's fastest graphics card, for the time being, until GT200 is out. And under that premise, they want their consumer base to have more expandability options (Quad-SLi), but at a sacrifice of expandability comes a sacrifice of performance, and therefore 9800GTX Tri-SLi is better.

2) Nvidia is asserting that two 9800GX2s in Quad-SLi will always give you top-notch performance for the current generation cards, and three 9800GTXs in Tri-SLi is the next step down for those with Tri-SLi supporting motherboards. Therefore, in this case, it would be logical to assume that three 9800GTXs ARE NOT better than two 9800GX2s.

If I were to choose a side, I would pick possibility number 2. Any well-thought arguments and opinions are welcome.
  2. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    only the trustowrthy benchmarks and time will tell im afraid.
  3. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well initial reasoning tends to suggest that more is better, therefore quad beats tri. Since the GX2 is essentially two cards operating as one then running an SLI setup with two GX2s actually equals four high end cards.

But... initial reasoning is often incorrect. Once you start considering scaling, PCI-E bus throughput, GPU processing power, effenciency, blah blah blah... the argument gets very murky.

If I had to make a choice with what I know now then I would choose two GX2s in Quad-Sli... but not until someone figures out how to water cool it.
  4. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, that'll be a show... 4 8800GT's verses 3 underclocked (upgraded) 8800GTS's, lemme get some popcorn first :pimp:
  5. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:

I'll bring the salt and butter and a 3 liter coke
  6. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    how much money y'all got
  7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    iGrenade, hilarious...
    the benchmarks of both will be out in due time, but im pretty sure it will be 3 8800GTS DDR-OC, i mean 9800GTXs. Simply the throughput will be easier, with less bottlenecks for the gtxs rather than the gx2s. Too many issues will hamper the gx2s, not to mention the gtxs performance wont be much worse than the gx2s, not to mention probably only about 8-10% worse if you OC it. just watch, should be fun either way.