1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 470 Graphics Card Pictured

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Apocalypsee

Thanks Received:
    Looks good, I hope to see their benchies and power requirement soon :)

2. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's tiny! Looks shorter than GT200, closer to GTS250 range. Oh and the fan diameter is also smaller than in GTX260, can't be that hot.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That is why they make adaptors. They are probably going to include two 4-pin to 6-pin adaptors with the cards already. I saw toss those out, move to a single 8-pin, and include a 6-pin to 8-pin adaptor.

I would just prefer the cleaner look of a single 8-pin.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's fine. More HDTVs / HD projectors support HDMI. I'm sure there will be a little dongle included for miniHDMI-HDMI. At least they left the exhaust vent full-sized.

5. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to see Nvidia finally back in the game!

I know it'll probably be equal or at least as fast as the HD 5870 -- here's hoping ATI drops some prices. ;)

6. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's just a picture.

You have all lost your minds. It's just a freakin' picture of a card (still in plastic). Why is the picture of the back of the board blurry? Also, only the 470 seems to be making any news. Now, i know this link will cause some controversy and yes, it's from CD but if you read between his lines there is something still very amiss with Fermi.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/02/nvidia-threatens-its-partners-cebit/

By now there should be benchmarks. Proper ones. Not the same powersled demo. I know the PAX event is the real launch but this is CeBit ffs! Where's the promo goods. This is like in films when they put a dead person at the wheel of a car and hide out of sight to pretend he's really alive.

I so wanted to buy the Fermi card last year. I prefer NV's drivers and i like the sheer power of the cards but i honestly believe that the people that rush out to buy these cards will get a whole bunch of RMA shocks.

I have never seen a card so hyped with so little substance and so much 'proven' issues (TSMC, massive delays, compromised and selective benchmark - unigine). People - please do not buy a Fermi till W1zzard has had sex with it.

8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    These delays have no bearing on the quality of the product when it comes out. They want to make sure you won't have "RMA shocks", hence these delays. It's not like ATI invented the wheel when it comes to such issues. Not very long ago, ATI was seeing similar delays with its then similarly hyped Radeon HD 2900 XT. There were no quality issues with the product itself.

As for performance, nobody points at these cards to be "competitively priced" against Radeons, so far. Should tell you a little about performance.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. SteelSix

SteelSix

Thanks Received:
    Looking forward to those hi res naked shots W1zzard..

10. Roph

Roph

Thanks Received:
    The wood screw debacle made them too paranoid :laugh:

EastCoasthandle says thanks.
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    "As for performance, nobody points at these cards to be "competitively priced" against Radeons, so far. Should tell you a little about performance."

Does this infer you mean, as they are not suggested to be price competitive they are superior? If so your logic isn't necessarily correct. The current slew of cards are skewed performance wise. The 5850 outperforms the 285 on most things but is considerably cheaper. Heck, even the 275's creep into the 5850 price bracket.

And for the record... I do believe the GTX 4xx series will be mighty powerful. I stated i believe the 480 will undoubtedly outgun the 5870 - so i'm not shying away from the obvious but the awful ambiguity around the card and very obvious subterfuge about it's performance is worrisome.

To remove the stench of ATI bias - i have none. My plan when i got my 5850's was to appraise Fermi when it came out and if it was cheaper, more powerful and less noisy and power hungry than my set up, i'd go back to NV. Now, as a consumer, if the 480 (wont touch the 470) is better, not so much more £££'s and just as quiet and cool, then all's well for NV. But do you belive that will happen?

12. jaredpace

jaredpace New Member

Thanks Received:
    "cuda cores"

I heard it's less than 448 cores for the 470, and that the 480 model will have either 448 or 480, not the full 512

13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I definitely agree with this, I expected the GTX285's price to come down a while ago, they should be sub-$300 right now, but they are about $50 overpriced.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  14. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i need the card not only a pictures, before 6 month i see the fermi pictures but where is the card, NOT READY