1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 680 Up To 40% Faster Than Radeon HD 7970: NVIDIA

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Hi Columbo. My name is Sherlock and I got to the same conclusion some time ago.

These slides are based on an old leak which we don't know how accurate were and anyway 95% of the people laughed when they saw. I mean, c'mon "performance" chip to be better than AMD's high-end? This must be a bad joke?

Well, in the meantime the joke is not so much... a joke. Add to this old chart some driver improvements and tweaks and 20% over the 7970 isn't too far fetched. But that was not my idea, it was Dr. Watson's so don't blame me if it's less than 20%...
  2. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    There isnt any benchmarks, so nobody knows how fast it is. For all we know the 680 might be 10% slower than the 7970.
  3. N3M3515

N3M3515

Thanks Received:
    Nobody said 40%, but everyone said it would be massively faster, including you until 2 days ago.
    14% is not massive.....
    Anyway, lets end this pointless talk...........it is obvious gtx680 has been over-hyped everywhere.
  4. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    This makes me chuckle a little bit. What makes you think...or anyone for that matter think that NVIDIA's cards won't be as OCable or even moreso than AMD's 7k cards? However, it is 2x 6pins, so what do I know? :) I mean, I love AMD cards, but their pricing at launch really bites the dust especially when there is no competition for them. I for one can't wait soon enough for NVIDIA to come out guns blazing and give AMD a swift kick in the ass to lower not only their prices, but also GTX 5xx cards too.
    But then NVIDIA will charge a premium for being the fastest....and so the cycle continues :laugh:
  5. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes but you have to take into account that "now" it is 20% smaller too. And we don't know performance anyway. These results are fake? And if they are... actual performance is necessarily worse? It could be faster actually, we don't know, so you are jumping to conclusions. As for rumors there's also rumors about a last minute BIOS update that upgraded performance by 40-50%, so according to this rumor the results that indicated GTX680's performance as similar to HD7970 were just an smoke bomb. I'm not giving these rumors any more credit than the rest, but you just can't go by the "it's only 5% faster" rumors either.
  6. borden5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the key word is Up To
  7. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    See I've been reading the situation a different way. The quarter ends the 31st of this month, and Nvidia has the NDA not end until about a week before the quarter.
    While I can see it your way, I see it more plausible that Nvidia is trying to hold back AMD's first quarter profits back as much as they can, saying "kepler is unbeatable" and the like. If it were truly unbeatable, why doesn't Nvidia just show us the part and benchmarks and show that it is, getting people whom right now are being told to wait instead told to go get a kepler GPU. Surely they have working silicon.

Look at AMD for example with their APUs, they've proven to be effective to SB/IB in laptops, and are marketing them by their benchmark scores, despite not being released. Intel has released benchmarks of Ivy bridge despite only 10-20% increase over SB.

Yet Nvidia, while touting that they're unbeatable with kepler, have it under lock and key until the end of the quarter.
    theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  8. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Yea but, but, but...look at those pretty red and green colors on that graph!!! The higher numbers mean its faster, surely that counts for something? :roll:
    Oh wait, darn!!!! It's not faster in Civilization 5 :eek: !!
  9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    we need your chart W1Z
  10. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    oh marketing slides lol i like how they start at .8 times
  11. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Bs!!!!
  12. eddman New Member

Thanks Received:
    40% in just one specific benchmark. It seems to be around 10% on average, if that slide is even real that is. If true I might say it's a very good result considering that it was supposed to be a performance kepler, not high-end.
  13. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    Yes, well let's also point out that this graph has been specifically made to exaggerate differences, and that we have no solid benches from reputable sources. The NDA isn't up yet, and we don't know this is gk104. it might be gk100 test silicon or simply completely made up by a propaganda source or simply a Nvidia fanboy messing around.

I would say the latter is quite possible.

But we'll find out when the NDA is over I suppose.
  14. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I repeat what others have said. This is not even an Nvidia slide, it's made up from a chart posted at pcinlife by somebody one and a half months ago so it has zero relevance. We should stop talking nonsense and make predictions based on this.
    Vulpesveritas says thanks.
  15. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    NVIDIA employee 1: So we got that sweet KG104 core
    NVIDIA employee 2: Oh kinda like GTX560TI
    NVIDIA employee 1: Yeah, its awesome and will have a nice solid 40-45%-ish gain in performance over it
    NVIDIA employee 2: So... when are we gonna launch it?
    NVIDIA employee 1: Oh wait... it surpasses the 449$ HD7950 in games. Screw every thing, we're not suckers to sell it for 299$, lets name it GTX680 and put a 500-ish price tag
    NVIDIA employee 2: Good call... good call...
    N3M3515 says thanks.
  16. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    The performance difference is on average 10% going both ways. There are some areas where this card does beat the HD7970 but there are a other areas the GTX 680 looses too. What they failed to mention that it also looses sometimes by 20% or more too.
  17. Nihilus

Thanks Received:
    I think it would be a really stupid wast of time and money. On average, this hand picked Nvidia list is giving the GTX 680 a 15% edge. We know for a fact that the HD 7970's are wonderful overclockers. Not so sure about the GTX 680s yet. You may already have the fast card factoring that in.

Just wait for the reviews...
  18. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    My take on that is that Nvidia is not worried about how much AMD profits this quarter. Set aside the fact that volume is so low that it's not going to be much anyway, lower AMD sales on that segment are not going to make them, Nvidia, sell more Kepler cards. It won't make them sell more GTX500 cards either, wuite the opposite. If GTX680 is better it will sell as many cards as they can make. AMD can sell all the cards in the world for all they care, they're just as supply constrained as they are, more probably because practically the only thing Nvidia has said about Kepler is that they have been stockpiling for a hard launch. Whether it's completely true or not remains to be seen, it's the ony official claim either way.

The thing is that for some reason a lot of people think this is an AMD vs Nvidia thing, and that that is the case for them. It's not. Nvidia cares about their sales and profits and nothing more and will do what is better for their profits. Releasing info about Kepler before launch is not going to make them sell more cards, never really did, never will. People buying this kind of hardware waits for reviews. And on the downside, it can tell AMD what to do next. So why do they need to release anything, when silence is just as good or better marketing campaign? So they remain tight lipped and AMD is in the dark.
  19. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course they would say 40%. Few would like to buy a newer card if it does not perform very well
  20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    yeh but AMD's no more in the dark then you or I, and have still managed to release many a new GPU for near a year or more with little new in reply from nvidia just rehash after more core, so to me they need to get their asses movein as many a sale HAS gone Amd's way because some people couldnt wait a year:p
  21. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does? Nvidia's discreet GPU market share, which is what GTX680 is all abut, grew 4% (to ~64%) last quarter. Reality and your claim just does not compute. During the Fermi time Nvidia has GAINED market share. I could say that people bought GTX500 because they couldn't wait over a year to buy something as fast from AMD.
  22. Nihilus

Thanks Received:
  23. N3M3515

N3M3515

Thanks Received:
    Where did you get that info?
  24. beck24

Thanks Received:
    680 is only the third ranked card nvidia will release this year. nvidia also has proven to have superior driver teams, as many independent sites have attested, and will undoubtedly get more performance out of this series, sometimes very significant increases. It will be a great year for nvidia!
  25. beck24

Thanks Received:
    great card

This is a great card for what will be the third fastest in the nvidia line up this year. It is supposed to overclock like crazy so I'm excited to see what it can do as drivers mature and vendors customize.