1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 780 Ti Pictured in the Flesh

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 2, 2013.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think this thread has run its course. Let's wait until some hard evidence of its performance turns up. It won't be long now.

2. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    You should thanks to the competition amd have made. Without 290x your favourite card wouldn't get price cut and stay on 650$ price point.

What the different term between scream and boost v.2 is?

3. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I looked at the source (translated; I can't read Chinese) and it seems like the card has a "quiet" and "uber" mode just like the R9 290X, but in the case of the 780Ti the "uber" only has a high temperature target and doesn't restrict power consumption like the R9 290X's "uber" mode does. It looks like this card was tested in "uber" mode for these results, which would explain the findings exactly and why it uses 75W more than the 290X. I would expect the "quiet" mode to stick to the 250W power target and probably only slightly edge out Titan.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. 1d10t

1d10t

Thanks Received:
    You don't believe leaks from Chiphell that makes nVidia look bad,eh?

Now you quoting some rumour from vidz and stating it's was a "supposedly performance" ?

Yeah, fanaticism > logic :roll:

5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:

Both companies have their issues, and how is that hot noisy 790 treating you that can easily be damaged by drivers killing it?

Seriously though, the 290x was a cheaper answer to the Nvidia gouging for those who want to and like to mod their cards to get the most. I would still pay for a 290x so I could stick on my waterblock and remove the voltage limit to see what it was capable of. For much less than the green camp.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Damn, I can't believe you spent all that time to dig out all my quotes! :laugh: Bottom line is that NVIDIA cards work pretty well regardless if the odd model is a bit noisy or a rebrand etc. It also proves I don't fanboy any particular brand as I do call them out when things should be improved.

Yeah sure, if you want to mod the 290x with a waterblock or something go right ahead, that's proper enthusiast territory. I'd be interested to see how it improves the framerate performance and noise. :) It'll be significant whatever the actual numbers are.

7. nem

nem

Thanks Received:
    i hope than all this is no only benchmarketing :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Razerian says thanks.
  8. harry90

Thanks Received:
    Not fair benchmarks amd R290x quiet mode lowers its core to 800mhz under full load to save power. Try finding benchmarks with R290x Ubermode and 780Ti stock, before you(NVidia fans) call amd cards shitty. Even if slower R290x is a steal at $550 cheers:laugh:

9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Well you can always mod your 780ti with water and over voltaged bios, so that is pretty much back to square one in terms of 780ti being faster vs a modded 290x.

10. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    More a sound level (fan RPM) dynamic...probably why it's called "Quiet Mode" rather than "Power Saving Mode". And this is representative of actual clocking:
    [​IMG]
    Yep, My sentiments were exactly the same. $485 for an overclocked GTX 780 with 3 AAA games added. Couldn't justify paying 20% more to get a few percentage points increase in framerate and a single game....that's if I could actually find a 290X in stock at MSRP.

11. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When someone sends us one, which has a closed loop water cooler (think Sapphire Atomic). We've never tested cards that are just PCB + FC blocks.

12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Not close. The 290 is pulling better numbers at 200Mhz less than the Titan and with no voltage limit it will perform much faster than a chip that is already at maximim, plus the piece of silicon Nvidia is selling costs more as its significantly larger. I am not saying it will be the fastest ever, but bang for the buck only Nvidia fanboys will be buying one.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Or for people that don't give a rats ass about bang for buck. Why do you think people bought Titans, or why I went from a 680 to a 780 right away.

14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Comparing them both on water would be interesting.

15. harry90

Thanks Received:
    well your article actually confirmed my claim. At quiet mode not only the fans spin slower, the clock rate is also reduced.

16. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Actually, W1zzard found that "Quiet" mode uses more power than "Uber" mode in his R9 290X testing, so the conclusion is exactly the opposite. Why this is I don't know.

[​IMG]

17. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Just to be clear. It just tells us the average power draw in Crysis 2.

The charts be it real or fake aren't limited to just 1 game.

18. Nihilus

Thanks Received:
    Whoa, the 7990x owns 4k. Not bad for 3 GB memory. I would of liked to of seen higher demanding games like bf4 or crisis. Btw the 780ti power consumption shows that it's mostly a hyper clocked titan. Little performance gain at the price of high power increase.