1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX TITAN Black Pictured, Isn't Strictly Black

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Goodbye GK110, you'll be missed.

The final threads and countless... OMG it's $1000, I can't believe nVidia are forcing me to spend money, and of course the bastard isn't even black... are upon us already.

The king is dead, long live the king.

2. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Currently the only Maxwell part that is going to be available is the 750Ti, which is a low end part. 28nm is deprecated now anyway, any new architecture should be looking to 20nm to be able to make the proper gains.

I doubt we will see a performance delta like when we moved from the 7xxx series GeForce cards to G80 based GTX 8xxx series cards. The times when we've seen huge gaps in processing power on new chips vs. old have usually been when a manufacturer made a misstep with the previous design; like the P4 to Core 2 you note above. P4 was a brand new architecture which just simply was not as efficient as the P3 architecture was (and coincidentally what the Core 2 was based on).

Now, the 7xxx series wasn't that much of a misstep especially compared to the 5xxx series, but it still was a small plateau before the big drop of G80.

Once we start seeing Maxwell on 20nm I think we'll see a good improvement in performance.

3. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    To be fair the "Titan" is black. Still FU nvidia for not making it moar sexy.

4. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    Will the 6GB vram be 6 GHz or 7 GHz?

5. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Al Sharpton is going to be upset at Nvidia

Low Key release during Black History Month

[​IMG]

The look on Jules face when he noticed the card wasn't black

:D

6. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    Those early 2x advances weren't just made on process or design, but by using more and more power.
    And that pretty much had to stop when things started running into heat and power limits.

The 8800GTX was only 175W, GTX285 200W, and we finally hit the 250W ceiling with GTX480. After that all gains had to be made from design and process because TDP was pretty much maxed out.
    Same thing for ATI/AMD. 3870 105W, 4870 150W, 5870 228W, and with the 6970 250W where it's stayed since.

Efficiency is the new speed. If Maxwell can perform same as Kepler at 1/2 the power, then we might just see a doubling of performance at the high end.

7. pjl321

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. It will be a combination of many factors but just irritates me when they wonder why sales have slowed when they don't release anything worth replacing what you already have. Give us a reason to give you our money!!

Prima.Vera says thanks.
  8. pjl321

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. It will be a combination of many factors but just irritates me when they wonder why sales have slowed when they don't release anything worth replacing what you already have. Give us a reason to give you our money!!