1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GELID Solutions VGA Cooler ICY VISION, SO WORTH IT!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by vnhill1981, Mar 1, 2012.

1. vnhill1981

vnhill1981

Thanks Received:
    So just in case some of you haven't seen my previous post, I bought a MSI Hawk Talon Attack off of eBay about a week ago. Installed the card to only to find out that one of the fans barely ran. Doing some research with the Twin Frozr II system, this seemed to be a common thing. I did a "Ghetto Mod" to this and installed 2 80mm fans on the heatsink, until my new Gelid Icy Vision arrived. I did run Furmark using all three systems and here are the results which speak for themselves (test was ran for 10mins as I found out that by this time, the max temp would be reached and leveled out):

With Twin Frozr II (take into account one barely running fan): 87c
    With Twin Frozr II: 74c
    Gelid Icy Vision: 56c:) let the OC begin

One thing that should be mentioned is that if the nuts are tightened down all the way, the card will bow pretty bad (at least with this card). What I did was tighten the nuts all the way down and then back them out a little at a time equally, until the card went back to its original shaped and left them there. As far as size goes, once installed it takes up about 2.5 slot (counting card as well) so it might not be suitable for SLI or Crossfire depending in size of setup. Price was $55 shipped but with a drop of 20c (or more over stock cooler) I think it's money well spent.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    it looks work pretty good
    take a look at this
  3. vnhill1981

vnhill1981

Thanks Received:
    Another thing to add is that fan speeds never exceeded 67%.
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Odd results. My twin frozr II cooled about the same, maybe better, than my icy vision. And the twin frozr only took 2 slots to do it.
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    dont forget there many parameter that affect the temp, like airflow, room temperature, fan speed etc not only the cooler :toast:
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm just comparing the difference. His difference was big, mine wasn't even a difference, so that stuff shouldn't matter. The card will ramp up the fans based on temperature. They should be performing the same even if rpm/noise levels differ. My only thought is I know with the frozr they use less heat pipes on the variants for midrange cards. Maybe that's why.
  7. neoguyver1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got the Zalman with a 470 i bought but got the Gelid PWM adaptor so it runs from vga instead of motherboard.