1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General Build problem

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Pandaz3, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just replaced my working Dual Sata-2 with a Dual VSTA, No problems there. I had a new build using a just back from RMA, Abit UL8. It would not post, tried different Video cards and Memory and slots, cleared CMOS, in and out of the case, different PSU, nothing worked.

So out comes the UL8, in goes the "I know it works ASRock" and it does....sort of ..... It will go to post and say it has a 3500 CPU and 1024 Ram, press F2 for setup or F11 for boot options. But it hangs there. It won't respond further. I cannot get into setup. I have cleared CMOS. I have BIOS 2.20. I have tried different keyboards.

I have yet to try different memory or video cards. I am using Corsair XMS 3200XL that I bought in our trading forum, but I think it is okay or I would not have gotten a message at all, but I have spare Kingston and Super Talent RAM so I will try it in the board. (Both worked in this board before) and I have a AGP 9600XT that I can swap a 7000 or a 9500 Pro with for testing. I have a new Sparkle 400 PSU that I could use in place of the nice modern 350 W PSU in the case now. So I am not at the end of my rope, but concerned as usually my problem is a flat no post, Any other tricks out there, kindly post 'em.

OOh , I heard no beeps, but I don't hear well.

To recap the new build.... ASRock 939 Dual Sata-2 (Bios 2.20), 3500 Venice, Freezer 64 Pro, 2 X 512 Corsair PC 3200XL (2-2-2-5), Gigabyte 9600XT, Audigy SE, two optical drives, a floppy, a USB Card reader, Hitachi 250 Sata II HHD, WD 80 Gig Sata (Not hooked up to board yet.) All in a IN-Win case with 350 W PSU (I have the same model powering two other A64's)

And it makes an initial post, then freezes

2. Aguiar New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi,i had a similar problem and all came out because of the raid control erased boot sector data from HDD.could something of this kind happen to yours HDD ?
    Have u some how stressed mobo ?
    Try to install one hardware piece eatch reboot,and pay atention to the beeps,theyre very importante to solve problems...be cool and donĀ“t rush doing things.

3. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both hard drives are new and yet to be formated, and I dont have the 80 gig connecter to the Motherboard yet. I do have memory and video cards and PSU's to try so all is not lost. It has been a while since I really had a problem putting a mzchine to gether, my troubleshooting is rusty!

I'll post back if I find the problem

4. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried one stick of single sided Kingston, and it just reports 256 instead of a Gig. I tried a different video card.... no joy .... next a new PSU

5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Methinks something in that other motherboard mortally wounded your proccie and maybe your RAM :(.

6. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay out of the case, one stick of Kingston and it posts goes right into setup so I feel better. I had screwed it with an assortment of screws and that may have been my problem.... I also had a sound card it may not have liked... we'll see

I will use five more carefully selected screws and install it and try it again.... Incrementally

I'll get it sorted yet!

7. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found a bad CD-ROM Drive, Now everything is back in the case using the 2 X 512 Corsair, Sata II drive, 9600XT. I have not installed the sound card or second HDD. It post and acts like it want to load windows, but I think I need to attend it better, probably go to defaults in the BIOS for now.... At least it's working, I'll get Windows on it after a bit.

8. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow More troubles, I couldn't get Windows to post, I did install the 400W Sparkle, Tried Memtest and it would not work as I had version 1.60 and 1.65 has the right configuration for ULI 1689 and 1695 chipsets, While Downloading that, I swapped for some Super Talent Ram ( I just let Memtest do it's thing for a couple of hours when I noticed the screen said ir was DDR 314 and hmm. I reset it in the BIOS, (I Know I had set it for the Corsair one time, but maybe when I loaded defaults...) Anyway Windows is formatting the HDD right now and all looks good. The Corsair will go to another machine it was 2-2-2-5 stuff and the Super Talent is 2-3-3-6 a tad behind, but still good, But I have a 2600 Mobile and a EPox.... just leering at the Corsair! ;)