1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General discussion based on Extreme Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FireKillerGR, Apr 7, 2013.

1. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I was thinking of finding a way to promote extreme overclocking here in TPU.
    As I saw that there wasn't something regarding Xtreme OC, I had the idea to create a general discussion thread. :)

Purpose of this thread is to discuss about Xtreme OC, see if there are people who are interested in this. BUT I am aiming for people who are just enthusiasts and wanna try their hw's limits like I do.

So, we gonna chit-chat about creating some threads like FAQ and How to in order to inspire new.

Rules of this thread:
    1) No flaming, we are here to talk and I will try to solve some of your questions so be polite
    2) Everyone is free to express his ideas, thoughts and opinion
    3)Forgot what 3 was for... xD Thanks cadaveca... 3) is to have some FUN :D

So, first question. Are here people who want to participate, learn and discuss with others how to overclock in xtreme ways? :D

what to include list:

Components insulation/preparation for extreme cooling methods.
    Operating System (OS) preparation and optimization
    Overclocking guides for specific hardware
    Post Codes errors and meaning of them
    How to bin hardware, mostly processors.
    How to find best driver for a specific benchmark
    Which OS is best for each benchmark
    Software (may be possible to make a kit of software) thats helps you overclock you components
    Overclocking terminology like what is CB, CBB, LOD,Copy Wazza and so on :)
    Hardware modding which will include voltmodding, bios modding and similar mods that can help you achieve higher frequency or solve problems like cold-bug

More to add :D
    Where to buy equipment and what you can do by yourself

[XO] Tweaked and Tiny Operating Systems
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2884450#post2884450

[XO] Motherboard's Post Codes & Meaning
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2884451#post2884451

[XO] Overclocking (and not only) Glossary
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2884476#post2884476
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    A list of shops, global, where people can get supplies for extreme OC...pots, insulation, electrical modding bits...would be useful?

3 is for "Have FUN!" ;)

Every board maker has different place to get beta BIOSes and LN2 BIOS for OC. That needs to be all put in one place, too.
    FireKillerGR says thanks.
  3. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Yeap everything is useful :)

Cant create that anytime but first lets see if some newbies wanna join the club :D

This is why I added FAQ and How To, in order to help people who want to go to the dark side but they can't understand some points ;)
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yap, basic tools needed, a checklist, would be great.

breakdown is needed too..

OS prep.
    board prep.
    vga prep.
    mem prep.

Extreme-OC-specific POST CODE list. Like, If I post "23" is IMC, "55" is timings, what does that mean? How do you get around things like that? Cold bug...oy, the cold bug.

Tips on binning parts quickly, etc...

I got lots of ideas, but little time to develop them. :-/ and for me right now, time is becoming more and more of a premium item.
  5. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Love the way you are thinking about whole project :D

Can make guides how to tweak OSes and make them tiny and when I mean tiny I mean tiny :D

Everything will be added to first post's list :) thanks for the ideas
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Been thinking about it for years, wanted to put LN2 clocking into my reviews, but that is a bit expensive, and W1zz suggested I not bother. Today, I agree with his suggestion, but I still want to see more LN2 lovin'. :)

But so, I know that there's lots of guys that want to get into LN2 and such, but because there isn't a step-by-step guide, and nowhere to go for real help other than by joining a team(not everyone wants to commit to a team), and lots of "secrets" for getting the most outta clocking, these are huge barriers to jumping in that first time.

I thought long and hard on this subject. As you can maybe tell. :p

lots of info to cover on Extreme OC, you need a Guru to hold your hand, really, if you get what I mean. Figuring all this stuff out on my own was really really hard, let me tell you.
  7. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:

Extreme Overclocking is something I will definitely add to my upcoming reviews.
    I have the gear to do so ;)

Yeap, this is the place where everyone will be able to ask for help and help others. :)
    Also, I agree, I got bored of that silly and outdated guides with really old insulation methods :D

PS. just for the record 23 Post Code error is 100% IMC when 55 can be mem settings (high freq or tight timings) BUT can be IMC aswell ;)
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    cadaveca says thanks.
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My question is this... what cooling methods do you consider to be "Extreme"? My list is:

LN2
    TEC (Including multi-layered)
    Compressive cooling (Including cascade)

Of those three, only the second two really lend to any constant use scenarios.

I consider simple watercooling to be a passive technology, and in all the years I've worked with it, have come to the conclusion it doesn't get you much other than a somewhat cooler CPU, and somewhere on the order of 5%-10% OC over good aircooling.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I have the above concerns but im interested in this in general.
    Im interested but isn't the costs involved high I mean I often have bits lieing around but they are low end tat mostly though might be good for practice.
  10. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Any method is xtreme except air and water (liquid helium, liquid nitrogen, cascade, dry ice, single stage, Tec , etc... BUT even then you can make you air/water cooling method extreme ;) Chilled water for example.

Also no high-end hw is required for example I benched with my asus commando earlier today ;)
  11. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Last winter we had -40C here in the nights for about a week (I live close to this place), that would do for some nice overclocking. Make a cold room in the house and use a KVM so you don't have to be near it. :p
  13. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Yeap even that is an extreme way ;)
    Just think how to do your ordinary air cooling or water cooling systems crazy and extree. Then start overclocking :D
  14. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    I remember when i first joined there used to be a club house for xtreme or real high oc's. Don't know if its still in use at the moment though?
  15. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
  16. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not active really, there was a time when there were quite a few of us trying to stretch the bounderies but i think with the gradual introduction of generally better overclocking platforms/CPU's etc it has quietened down around here over the last 2 or 3 years. Having said that, there are still a number of enthusiasts here who continue to push hardware to it's limits but I think more privately as a hobby than publically sharing here.
  17. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Thought so i certainly remember some form of club house when i first started here, learnt quite a bit reading through. Then i had temporary leave and when i came back lots of things had changed :p
  18. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see this place start something like this. :)

You guys may also want to, once you have some people serious anyway, to create a team at Hwbot.org to post your results and compete with others.

We have step by step guides for insulation one can base theirs off of here... Let me link a couple that are not in our private section.

If not ours, then a simple google finds plenty of methods of insulation among other things. :)
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  19. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Let's keep it alive guys, I think it worths a try.

Anything to suggest?
  20. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not DICE? I used to Dice all my reviews. Pulling 6Ghz+ on a review is still impressive. Dry ice is not volatile like LN2 and easy to handle for 1 person.
  21. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Who said no when it comes to DICE? DICE is awesome :D
    Helped me many times to test insulation and hardware before LN2 ;)

Shall I start creating threads tomorrow? Guides and FAQ?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  22. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:

If TPU is interested. I will keep my Z77 UP7... Lining the board is easy. Just pack the socket with dry eraser. It takes 10 minutes or so.

here is one of my dice runs:

[​IMG]

If I could find someone in the Chicago area to help handle LN2 (pouring while I OC), i would happily do a run for TPU.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    FireKillerGR and HammerON say thanks.
  23. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Some sort of list of clocks reached with specific CPU's(or GPU's) including information about the systems specs (like motherboard, PSU, and cooling used) so people here on the forum can easily view and compare overclocks. Perhaps categorize by type of cooling used.

Furthermore, I suppose building up some sort of database of clocking specifics could lead to some interesting results, like what average voltage is needed for a certain clockspeed. I could see loads of interesting things resulting of putting a bit of effort in that!

Edit: maybe making such a database for analytical purposes is a bit out of this threads scope, but oh well:)
  24. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I would think the absolute fastest binning method would be to see what the highest OS bootable frequency is. It won't tell you everything but it's a lot faster than going up a notch at a time and stress testing. If I had 50 some chips I'd start with that.
  25. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that would be great. I have never gone beyond water (besides extreme Alaska cold winter weather on air) and would be interested in seeing how to accomplish extreme over clocking:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU