1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General Nonsense on front page

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Hawk1, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont know if this is the right place to put this but here goes. Not to sound anal or anything (probably will), but I'd like to suggest to stop having general nonsense posts updating the front page every time and pushing down peoples tech problems etc. (this has not affected me at all, by the way). I mean the nonsense is fun/interesting and all (most of the time), but do I really need to see pizza/farts/someones love life problems on the front page each day. This is supposed to be a tech forum, is it not?

Anyway, just my .02, take it as you will.:toast:

lemonadesoda says thanks.
  2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    you make a very good point there

3. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    you must be refering to the side list of latest forum updates. perfectly fine place for them to be. the MAIN paige has more relevent stuff, and more appropriate amusing stuff (rarety) I dont see any thing that needs changing.

we keep the main full of tech updates, but people are allowed to post, and the general nonsense forum is appropriatly used

4. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    he is suggesting the "Latest Posts" section not include the nonsense forum posts so it shows
    constructive posts only and not bullchit stuff.

the requests for assistance are often quickly burried by nonsense posts so he does have a valid point to make about it.

i have found myself needing to bump my own posts requesting help because of posts like "i cant decide who to ask to the prom" or "is my old pizza ok?" lol. while nonsense is amuzing the posts knocking down requests for help from the highlighted section are counter productive to the expressed purpose of helping people with tech questions.

maybe nonsense posts could replace the "headlines" section since this is only repeating whats on the home page?

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, but this is a community. Part of the community is based on techie stuff and part of it is based on general discussions. With that being said, the latest posts should be from all threads and not just particular sections of it.

6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    so your saying this isnt a tech forum its a chat room?

7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    when you have a problem and your trying to fix it, i hope you can understand why having your breif time on the "latest posts" section go un noticed because it got pushed off the list by posts like "im bored" or "is anybody else drinking Fizzle cola?"

im not saying they arent part of what makes this a great site im just saying it would help people who need help if they stayed on the list longer by not being bumped by "genaral nonsense" posts.

8. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    No I'm saying this is a place with both tech discussions and general discussions. You can't just rule out the entire general discussion forum just because someone doesn't feel like their post is getting "bumped" properly.

9. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    iv got to agree with hawk here, those of us who come here often enought to be posting about week old pizza know where those threads are and we hardly need prompting to post in them but, those who come here seeking help should get the priority in that module on the front page.

its called techpowerup for a reason and the random crap we can talk about somtimes is far from it, yes it is a very good comnunity and the nonsense posts we have only add to that but we dont need to addvertise to the world that assasin cant get laid or that kexx has farted now do we?

keakar says thanks.
  10. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    all i said was it would be more helpfull to people in need if they were put on the list in seperate columns so tech is tech and general stuff is general stuff. i never said get rid of it.

thats why the headlines are in there own column, im just saying doing the same for tech would be nice.

a column for headlines, a column for tech help, and a column for everything else.

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    removed. cant have 3 columns for people wiht limited screen widths

Solaris17, FatForester, Hawk1 and 2 others say thanks.
  12. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wiz, hate to say this, but uhh I don't like it this way. There are good reasons for taking it off of latest posts, but the general nonsense sections aren't like really out of hand or anything. Anyways, they can be a humorous part of TPU and just like a place to unwind. I know this doesn't seem like good reasons to reasons why not to have it show up under latest posts, but I thought it'd be nice for people to have a slight look of what it's like on the other side.

13. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    You have to remember, KW, that we're not eliminating GN altogether. We're merely enhancing our professional appearance by removing such replies as

FFFFRRRRRRRRRRTTTTT

from the front page. A lot of the people scanning the front page are mainly looking for tech-related stuff.

14. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol mmm right right. Is it possible to take of GN from the front page but put it into the latest posts section wiz?

15. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait. So youve edited GN out of the recent posts panel?

Radical.

16. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just come straight to the forums but thats just me.. I take it lol. sometimes I visit the front page when I want to check for new reviews/things (pictures).

I think Wiz has chosen the right move.

17. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  18. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow! I didn't expect such swift action from my post, especially since I am a relatively new member of TPU. I figured it would just stir a couple of peoples point of view and would then be burried/forgotten, as I didn't think it would be that big of an issue. But hey, I guess thats how forums evolve.

Hopefully this benefits any new members/lurkers thinking of joining TPU. Anyone whose been a member more than a couple of weeks(hell a couple of days) should know where to find the GN threads. It could also give future members time to explore other area's of the site before diving into Ketxxx's sploosh or Zeks cat pictures.:p

Anyways, thanks for your attention.:toast:

19. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I said something about this in a thread a couple days ago, but I didn't think anything would really happen about it. Nice job, TPU!

20. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Bah, bad decision in my opinion!

While your at it, go ahead and remove this section, it has nothing to do with tech.

21. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a great move. If I want nonsense I know where to look for it.
    Hopefully all the annoying club stuff is no longer included as well.

22. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes .. the clubs should be removed as well ...

23. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

24. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to see which General Nonsense posts are new all you need to do is scroll down slightly to the general nonsense section. The bold dark blue threads are new, threads you haven't read yet, or contain new posts. The threads which are blue, and not bold, you have read...

I agree.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
    keakar says thanks.
  25. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    2nd'd