1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gentoo!

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by R-T-B, Jan 6, 2013.

1. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    I love Gentoo, and was surprised to not find a thread for it here. I suppose it's the learning curve and lack of GUI out of the box. ;)

I run Gentoo on the following "oddball" machines and love it's ability to optimize everything for the CPU via compile flags. I'll post a make.conf configuration for each of my machines, just for fun:

All use flags are for xfce, BTW.

Fuloong Mini-PC (Bought in China by a friend, runs a Chinese designed MIPS "Loongson" processor, yep Gentoo runs!)

Code:
    CFLAGS="-O3 -Wa,-mfix-loongson2f-nop -march=loongson2f -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    CHOST="mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu"
    MAKEOPTS="-j1"
    USE="alsa cdr dvd -kde"

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz (It's actually for sale right now in the market, but let's keep this on topic. ;) )

Code:
    CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -mcpu=970 -maltivec -mabi=altivec"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    # WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
    # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
    CHOST="powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    USE="qt4 qt gtk dvd alsa cdr -gnome -kde"

I have a pandaboard ARM based box as well, but it's down right now. Will post it's make.conf later. Useful for optimizing.

BTW, -fomit-frame-pointer is not your friend. It will make debugging hell, especially in java land. I only do it on that little fuloong because an 800MHz MIPS CPU needs every drop of speed it can get.

I also have an Core i7 box running gentoo naturally, but it's boring compared to my above "exotic" setups, lol. ;)

Anyone else have a gentoo box? Don't need to post make.confs, I just did for fun. I'm pretty good at setting up gentoo and have been working with it for some time if anyone has any questions. ;)

2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I like Gentoo, but it takes some time to get it installed. I am currently trying to get some extra life into an old pre-Presscott Pentium 4 system (1.7 GHz, 1 GB RAM in a 5000 setries Compaq Presario) but I do not want too spend too much free time on it (and compiling stuff takes long on that box).

I am not near the box now, but I do now that the CFLAGS values are O2,march=pentium4 and pipe. Tonight I might mess around with it a bit and continue to configure X properly (and install Openbox).

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Gentoo is great for learning (like Linux From Scratch but that's even more nitty gritty) as you have much if it you "roll yourself" compile-wise. Also, for optimizing for specific hardware, of course. A really good "hobbyist" distro.