1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Get usb's to activate faster?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by regg187, Feb 13, 2008.

1. regg187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope this is simple, I have an external fingerprint scanner that I use for password security. Is there anyway to get the USB ports to activate quicker when the system is booting up (xp home), cause it gets to the sign in page and is waiting for my fingerprint but the USB ports are not hot yet so the scanner won't work yet, it takes another 15 or 20 sec till it is ready.
    I hate waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance

2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    usb wont work without windows so how do you expect it to start before windows?

just a guess but if it has this feature then set the bios to boot from usb (think you need a new motherboard to have it) and maybe it will save a few seconds by trying to boot from it before windows boots and that may warm it up as you say.

but like i said, im just guessing since you dont give us much to go on like weather or not this a new problem

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is completely wrong.

The USB boot option is to boot FROM a USB storage device.

Everything in your PC has a init order. The USB ports can't be pushed up or down in that order.

Chris

4. regg187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what I thought also, but I was hoping the priority could be changed, because on an earlier install I did not have a problem like this, the scanner was up and waiting when the sign in page came up!

Anybody know for sure???:confused:

5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Bootvis.

regg187 says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. regg187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    WTF is this ,STEEVO, just a little more help than this is required, or are you trying to cheat at scrabble.... "see man, Bootvis is a word, look its right here on this web page! that's 24, triple word score ,like 94 points dude,huh-huh-uh" seriously what did you mean.

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe changing how the device is booted. For example see if you can start it as a service.

regg187 says thanks.
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Beat me to it. lol.

Google is your friend.
    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=bootvis&btnG=Google Search

regg187 says thanks.
  9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL Try ;http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/BootVis-Download-3465.html

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

Google. Bootvis is a Microsoft program that analyzes your boot and then optimizes the boot, it traces driver loads, generates the best boot layout, it generates a report to post if you have a slow loading system so others can pinpoint a driver or system problem and make suggestions.

Most people will benefit from running it and reading the help files.

And yes I play scrabble. :cool:

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes Bootvis is good when it works just over the last year though it don't work no longer for me. So i tied another program called TuneXP 1.5 was the last version i believe and it worked great for me..

12. regg187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    GOTCHA , that did the trick , and actually sped the whole process up, Thanks AsRock and Steevo, hope you didn't mind the scrabble joke, but just 1 more word in your first post woulda cleared this up Faster a word like 'Goggle' Bootvis.

again thanks guys. Regg187

13. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    .......Has anyone else notice that keakar tends to be wrong often.

14. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    yes i did notice that, i'll tell him to stop trying to help people so it wont bother you anymore.

15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont see how he was wrong - he never said it would work, just that it has a chance of speeding things up. his logic was sound, even if it had a low chance of working (I can see he edited the post in question. I do not know the original contents.)

Most likely this has nothing to do with the USB, and all to do with its software/drivers - bootvis may help here, also trying other (newer?) drivers may help.

keakar says thanks.
  16. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    edit was to add this in - "but like i said, im just guessing since you dont give us much to go on like weather or not this a new problem"

17. jurrasstoil New Member

Thanks Received:
    *wonders how he can change BIOS-settings with an USB-Keyboard*

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you could use a USB to PS\2 connector or just pick up a cheap ps\2 keyboard. Make sure you have the port on the rear of your PC though as some don't have them.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Lol people lol. USB keyboards work in the bios. they have for a LONG TIME. They emulate it. To make it work in OS that only supports PS2 (say, DOS for a bios flash) you need to enable "USB keyboard support" aka "legacy USB"

20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't work on mine.... There's a option and all but it don't work..

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    try it harder! :p

This would be a specific issue for your system, as i've never seen it fail. You cant use memtest on a USB keyboard without this, and i certainly use memtest with my USB keyboards.

22. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    USB keyboards have worked forever.

I've been using Apple USB keyboards and here is NO PROBLEM accessing the BIOS screens with them.

To be honest, I hesitated with the swap over, and it was a leap of faith, because i also though there would be problems until the USB drivers were loaded. But no. Most BIOS will work the "legacy devices" automatically without problem.

PS... We have put apple imac aluminium USB keyboards on ALL our PCs. It takes about 2 days to get used to them. Once practiced, they are MUCH easier to use, and less typos, and look great. Big recommendation.

23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I like my IBM for typing here at work, it just works. :D

USB has been BIOS compatable for most major board makers since the late 90's. I have only seen two not work, and those were cheap boards.

The BIOS enabled USB Devices are only for booting, and using USB devices in non plug and play situations, like booting windows for the first time during setup, or a BIOS update etc....

If you have problems with the USB ports not working before boot when enabled in the BIOS check and see if you have anything like the folowing options.

USB Compatability (For older 1.0 and 1.1 devices to be compatable with 2.0 USB ports)
    USB M&KB Enumeration
    USB Input device
    Input device compatability
    Etc...

24. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    yes thumb drives, usb boot drives, keyboards they all work in bios but can you sit there and tell me a usb camera works in bios? or a usb scanner or how about a usb printer?

it depends on which usb device you are talking about as to weather or not it works in bios or only in windows.

not knowing how a fingerprint scanner worked, i assumed it would be like a regular scanner or printer and "need" windows to work.

my response was worded badly and i can see that i should have worded it better but it was meant to only apply to devices that ran off of software.

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    USB needs drivers. DOS comes with keyboard drivers built in, as does the BIOS. USB legacy mode merely translates USB keyboard to PS/2 keyboard.

A USB camera could work in the bios, should someone write a driver for it, same with anything else - no one wants it, so no ones done it.

keakar says thanks.