1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Get Vista over the web

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Although there is little doubt that many people already planned to use the web as a source for Windows Vista, consumers will soon be able to legally download the finished version of the operating system. When the boxed versions of Vista hit the stores on 30th January, users will also have to ability to download it via Microsoft’s Windows Marketplace, although the prices will be the same as it will be in shops. The online purchases will also allow users to upgrade to a more expensive version of Vista, or buy an additional license at a reduced price. Recommend prices for the OS are $199 for Home Basic, $239 for Home Premium, $299 for Business and $399 for Ultimate.

Source: TG Daily

2. killatia New Member

Thanks Received:
    would have been a real good alternative if they lowered the price a bit.

3. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    I guess XP will be on my system until a HUGE pricedrop...

4. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh $239 isn't that bad. Considering how much money I dump on computer hardware that is dated every 6 months.

5. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll:
    And what exactly are you getting for $240 that XP doesn't already offer or "will offer in the future"

6. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    A new operating system, a new interface, DirectX10 , a new driver API. I'm so sick of looking at WindowsXP , this is a welcome change. You'll all cry and whine, call others noobs and in the end.. you'll all have Vista. It's the same scenario every launch of a new MS OS. Everyone bitched and whined about upgrading to XP from 2000, and now you are all using XP.

Finally, what does it matter to you what I do with my money? Am I at the wrong place, I thought this was an enthusiast forum?

7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they should give downloaders like a 20% off premium.

HAHA, that would be killer.

8. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    price should be reduced and lol at EastCoasthandle's post I don't think theres any point in a response to that...

9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! H4x time...

10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    It should also be noted that bittorent has been offering downloadable Vista for a while ;).

11. RickyG512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    operating dont have price drops do they? isnt xp still the same price from when it came out

yea should be reduced if downloading coz we dont the the sexy box and materials,

12. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I buy OEM versions, and I'm not sure if they're easily available to the general public at launch. The prices here in the UK have certainly been gradually dropping for the OEM version of XP, and although I don't doubt my system will use Vista sooner or later, I don't have any plans to get it for another year or so yet. By then all the drivers and software should be running smoothly and all the performance tweaks will be out.

13. prime95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear that no matter what disk you buy, its all in the key you put in...

Anyways though, where I work I'm getting some privileges to come in the night before launch and bring in my pc. I'm going to get to swap videocards and sound cards out play some games on xp/vista just to see what its all about on home and ultimate editions... so it should be a very interesting night... plus i get paid!

14. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont care tbh im gonna be getting a "free" downloadable version anyway :D and will probably dual-boot with xp until a more "stable" version becomes available and im sure i can live without xp, as im sure a lot of people will. :rockout:

15. prime95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what an HP rep had been saying ... who :p HAS NOT :p been running vista for the past 6 months, is that it is a very stable operating system.

16. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    how the fook would he know if hes not been running it ? goddam HP anyway lol like id listen to them :p

17. hotrippr

hotrippr New Member

Thanks Received:
    HP pff! Yeah and the salesman told me that I should purchase the undercoat protection on my car, LOL. I can build a better PC with some bubblegum and a sheet of sheetmetal. Vista is going to have to mature before I DL and install it from the Mule:roll:

18. prime95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well depending on how things go when I take a look at it, I should be able to give a good thumbs up or down to it. I'm going to heavily test it when I get my time.

19. kakazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Systembuilder version are much cheaper, yes.

http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3136

Code:
    Microsoft USA   Alternate.de    Alternate.de
                                            (normal)    (Systembuilder)
    Home Basic
        Full-Version    155 Euro        229 Euro        89 Euro
        Upgrade         78 Euro         119 Euro    
    Home Premium                
        Full-Version    186 Euro        299 Euro        119 Euro
        Upgrade         124 Euro        199 Euro    
    Business                
        Full-Version    233 Euro        369 Euro        144 Euro
        Upgrade         279 Euro        249 Euro    
    Ultimate                
        Full-Version    310 Euro        499 Euro        199 Euro
        Upgrade         200 Euro        329 Euro
    Means it will be even cheaper in the US I'd guess.

20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I could live with the oem prices. I think I'll be looking at Home Premium when it's upgrade time for me. The only benefits I see in Ultimate is the ability to connect to a domain server, full drive encryption, and Ultimate extras. I don't use a domain server, don't want or need full drive encryption, and seriously doubt MS will make any worthwhile extras.

21. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If those OEM prices are true then Home Premium is definately a fair enough price, that's what I'll get when I do make the move.

22. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only issue with OEM, is that all of those changes MS made to the licensing for computer enthusiasts. You aren't going to be able to get away with upgrading to a new PC with an OEM license. You have to purchase a new one. There is a reason OEM licenses are so cheap.

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know. It's a tradeoff. I just can't afford the full price, so I'll just have to buy oem and hope the next best thing is out at upgrade time.

24. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    For me, I can stick by Windows Server 2003... it's actually a pretty decent OS, as is XP imo @ least @ this point/nowadays.

YOU DO HAVE ONE HECK OF A POINT THERE, & I AGREE!

Does seem to be the general trend.

LOL!

APK

P.S.=> I dunno guys...

I think I am going to 'wait out' the bugs shaking outta VISTA personally & other issues folks yell about online regarding it...

I don't like what I see/hear about this "Digital Rights Management" stuff either, anymore than the next guy!

Also I am not exactly "nuts" about the OpenGL vs. DirectX 10 conundrum (OpenGL being 'cut out' of VISTA natively where it's not in 2000/XP/2003 Server etc.), but I DO like what I hear & read about VISTA security...

Mixed bag here.

Still, I do like what AERO GLASS looks like too (along w/ the security improvements in VISTA)... apk

25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I don't imagine I would upgrade for at least 9mo - 1yr. Dual booting a trial of Ultimate right now, and it's just not up to snuff. I'll trial Home Premium after this. Also, I just saw Ultimate OEM on the egg for $199, $119 for Premium. Once I do upgrade, I will be looking for a way around the drm scemes, I just refuse to play ball. If I buy the content, I want to watch it, PERIOD!