1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Get Vista upgrade coupon or just wait for vista?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by KJM, Jan 13, 2007.

1. KJM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok a few questions, I"m going to be building a new computer and after calling newegg and microsoft from what I understand if I buy XP Media center now I can get Vista Home Premium Upgrade by just paying shipping and handling. But Upgrade requires a previous OS and you can't do a clean install, which from what I heard can cause problems. So what would be the best thing to do? Even if I wait, the full version of Vista may be too expensive, would it be possible my college may post it for download also?

2. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Just sell the upgrade coupon to someone you know or here on TPU.:D

3. KJM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, can you or can't you do clean install with the upgrade disk? Microsoft told me now but everyone else has told me yes

4. InfDamarvel New Member

Thanks Received:
    use the upgrade coupon to get vista but dont install vista until the future when dx10 rdy and dx10 games are out.

5. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you can not. It's an upgrade disk. You first have to install an older version of Windows, then use it to upgrade.

6. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I have installed ME and XP Home upgrades with out having to install a previous full version. You put in the Upgade disk, boot off of it, follow the course as normal, when it says it needs a previous full version to complete installation it lets you eject the upgrade, insert the full version, it reads it/varifies it and promts you to put back in the upgrade disk to complete installation. An upgrade disk is a full version, it's just set to install differently, ie: full or upgrade. So yes, you CAN do a clean install with a upgrade disk.The upgrade disk does not ask for a key from the old full disk, it just checks it to make sure it is a full version. I would guess Vista will be the same.

7. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    as in a legit, activated older version of course!

8. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Yes to the legit part ofcourse. I have WIN 98 first edition retail that I use that doesn't use the activation like XP. The ME book kind of explains the fresh install option, the XP Home book doesn't, but it works the same. If you have an upgrade disk and a retail disk of the same Windows OS, explore the contents of the disk, you will see they are the same except for the (at least in the case of XP) setupp.ini file. :rolleyes:

9. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    i read somewhere that vista DOES check that its a valid version youre upgrading from this time, microsoft was well aware that people were using any old disk for validation and have changed the process accordingly

10. KJM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the disk, but now regret it seeing as newegg has Vista for the same price as MC, could have waited a week