1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gettig gdata from an OSX drive, and needing facts.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys,

I just have a few questions before I try this, though I do not believe it will be a huge problem.

My friends iMac I think has a dying Hard Drive. On boot, it just sits at the grey screen, and goes no further. I am not familiar with the BIOS ends of a Mac system. So first thing is first:

I want to take her drive and plug it into my desktop (PC) and just get inside Win7 to read her files, back them up, and at least get that far. I don;t think this will be to bad an issue, seeing I would just be reading the files from that disk to mine, and not doing an OS booting.

From there though, I want to test if there could be any other problems. I know you can hit a key at boot to get into the Bios of a Mac, but which one, ones, to I push. Once I do this, is there anything special with Mac over PC that i should take notice of?

Thanks to anything you can offer,
    -At
  2. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    so your friend's iMac has win 7? or are you using Win 7?

if your friend has OSX and u Windows, you can try using MacDrive you can retrieve the files with it, and do some diagnostic testing to the filesystem. hope it helps
    Atnevon says thanks.
  3. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    I am running Win7. I also have another Hard Drive with Xp on it I could use to boot into. SOrry for the confusion.

Are there certain limitations of the Trial I should know about? I know I dont want to do a full backup of the drive, merely copying say their photos, some music, documents, ect. Not looking to do a full ghosting or anything.
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    you can also try a linux system if you cant get win to pick up the drive..that should read it.
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Macs don't have a BIOS. They use EFI technology. I don't believe there is anything you could really do/change in OpenFirmware anyway.

As far as getting the data off the drive, if you are going to use Windows you will need something like MacDrive to make Windows able to interpret the OS X (HFS+ I believe) file system.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys,

One of the guys at work said if I get a FireWire cable, and hold some keys at Boot, I can turn the iMac into an external Hard Drive then should I hook say a MacBook to it.

Is this possible, and if so, can someone do a quick run down? (yes, Mac issues...god I wish it were as easy as PCs in this case).
  7. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Command-V will allow you to boot in Verbose mode so you can see what kind of errors you are getting. Holding down "T" is used for Target Firewire mode which would allow you to do what the guy at work was telling you.

Every Mac user should have a copy of Diskwarrior. Have you tried running Disk Utility from another drive or bootable CD (The OS install disk) to check the disk?

Here is the complete list of startup key commands.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Before you try any of that, turn on the Mac, then immediately hold Apple+Option+p+r until it reboots on its own, then release the keys.

That does a pram reset, and might bring it back. Pram is kinda like a PC's CMOS, it stores all the hardware settings for the computer.