1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting a Laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, Oct 15, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My uncle has a laptop he wants to get rid of and he said he would sell it to me for real cheap... I took him up on the deal.

Celeron M 530 (1.7GHz Conroe-L)
    2GB DDR2 533 4-4-4-12
    some generic intel graphics

Since most of the time I only use my rig for web browsing, I can use this instead of shutting down F@H when I browse the web. And hey, it's more WCG power... 1.7GHz of Core 2 arch. goodness... Hell, if I end up deciding that I don't want it I could sell it for a massive profit of my own!

Only thing is that it has wireless but I don't have a wireless router. Would be nice...

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Not too shabby. And what do you mean by "cheap"?
    But it seems like all you need now is a wireless router and you are in business with another crunching machine ;)

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    By cheap I mean $150. Hell, if I decide I don't want it I could probably make back double what I paid for it...

It has regular rj45 but... I don't have a solid desk to put the laptop on really. But my switch is really close to me so it's not a big deal... I would just much prefer wireless for the laptop (and my mom's computer as well). Coppermine and Kuma need wired cause I game on Kuma and Coppermine hosts servers (ventrilo and some Quake servers). The laptop and my mom's computer are just internet machines.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm on my laptop right now. It got about 36.5 seconds in SuperPI. I'm running Windows 7 on it. Pretty quick. I'm in the process of getting WCG setup on it right now.

Crunching for Team TPU