1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting a router to handle more connections?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by hat, Nov 8, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have a NETGEAR WGR614 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016) and it's an awesome router, except that it can't handle many connections. When I run utorrent, even when I throttle the upload speed to 20KB/s (the download speed never really goes over 100), internet performance lags. BF2 gets stuttery/jittery and even Internet Explorer can be slow. Is there any way I can get it to handle more connections??

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Simple start. Have you setup port forwarding for the router to specific programs? Have you tweaked utorrent to allow more connections and more connections per download? Is the double firewall on or off?

hat says thanks.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    that could be an ISP issue. have you tried out any other routers? i know a lot of ISPs kill your download bandwidth when you are using even the smallest upload.

hat says thanks.
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Nope, has nothing to do with the ISP. I've never had this problem before but I could try forwarding the BF2 port in the router. I have my utorrent port already forwarded properly.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I have a NETGEAR WNR3500 that seems to be experiencing a similar issue. When I play TF2 for a while (and refresh the master server list that shows maybe 3-4,000 servers), I simply cannot connect to any servers until I pull the power plug. TF2 works fine when connected directly to my apartment's Ethernet connection. It's almost as if the router (maybe the NAT table) overflows and refuses any more connections until the router is power cycled.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    has it always done this with this router or did it just start? how long have you been using this router?

hat says thanks.
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Depending on the version you have, you can try to throw DD-WRT on it.

The other options would be to save your money and buy a better router. I have a D-Link DIR-655, and I can crush it with 3 different machines running multiple torrents giving well over 200 open connections, and I can still surf or play online without problems, aside from a little extra ping. It was worth every penny of it's $100 price tag, not to mention it's a Gb switch for the wired connections instead of 10/100.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    hat says thanks.
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I just got this router recently. Before I was using my pentium 3 computer as my router by rigging it up with Windows Internet Connection Sharing. Much more powerful on the hardware side, yet virtually non-existant on the feature side...

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    What do you need out of the p3 machine? Does it have to run windows? There are linux distros specialized in acting as a router. You would only need a switch.

hat says thanks.
  10. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    bah, i would just return that router and get a different one. in my experience there is no need to hassle with a crappy router. there are tons of crappy routers out there and very few good ones. you may just swap for the same model and it could be great. who knows. but yea, why not install linux on your p3 and get it fired up.

hat says thanks.
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you need to reduce the amount of connections in utorrent, or replace the router with one that can take it.

its usually related to how much ram is inside the routers - they fill up, overflow, and drop connection til they catch up again.

hat says thanks.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i encounter the same problem when my housemate runs utorrent in the background, Trust me Utorrent is a bandwidth hog and should not be run when gaming is occurring unless if you have an internet connection with a bandwidth sustainment capability for both upload and download speeds

hat says thanks.
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If you have a good router, having uTorrent run doesn't hurt your gaming.

hat says thanks.
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its not utorrents BANDWIDTH, its the amount of connections.

a usual person uses 5-10 at any on time, utorrent (with DHT enabled) can use hundreds at any given moment - and routers arent made for it.

get the utorrent uses to cap it at 20 maximum connections, or replace the router.

hat, angelkiller and TheLaughingMan say thanks.
  15. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    even the crappy verizon fios router i have to use runs a billion utorrent connections at once.

hat says thanks.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

thats what i use, however i have a "known good" router for massive connections.

anything above say, 50 connections and things start to get erratic - i still get an average of 50ms ping to my game servers, but the jitter increases and things go a bit strange.

with 40 (or below) i can make VOIP calls perfectly clear with no issues while torrenting at 90% of my max down and upload speeds

hat says thanks.
  17. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I just replaced my WGR614 for the very same reasons a few weeks ago. It used to be okay before I started checking out torrents at which point its performance would drop and it would get hot and lockup often (especially when I lived in Florida). I bought a $22 (shipped) refurbished Netgear WNR2000 and it seems to be a major improvement. Don't forget that the WGR614 came out (V1.0 anyway) long before torrents started to be used.

hat says thanks.
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Mine's version 9

What does DHT do?

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Get a WRT54GL and put a decent firmware on it. They are cheap, and amazing routers with 3rd party firmware(I use tomato).

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    distributed hash tables.

allows you to connect to peers even if the tracker is down, but it makes a lot of connections that arent limited by any settings in the program itself. its an on or off deal.

hat says thanks.
  21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    well he has like the first Gen Linksys Draft N router, and to me they are crap, like the WRT54GS v5 and higher

hat says thanks.
  22. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I had a WRT54GS before. I don't know what version it was, but I do know that it died on me. I wasn't even using the wireless either... I disabled it in the router featues. At that time I was all wired. However I am using wireless on my my mom's computer and on my laptop, and on my P3 as well but it's down right now.

Informative thread.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Version 5 and higher were built cheaply, V4 and lower were very reliable, but after that mess i switched to a Netgear WPN 824 V2 which was very strong, just too bad it doesnt have wireless N otherwise id be using it over the friggin Linksys garbage

hat says thanks.
  24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    To add to this, Linksys still sells the v4 router, they just rebranded it to WRT54GL, which is why I suggested it. My v2 WRT54G is still going strong, and it is well over 5 years old.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    well WRT54G and GL throughout are very Reliable, GS v5 and higher are crap.

hat says thanks.