1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting around ONE specified DMZ IP?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by hat, Jul 27, 2009.

1. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Whatup networking gurus of TPU...

I'm hosting a Quake server, and if I ever get a chance at a second computer I would like to move the server over to that one becuase IMO hosting a server on a PC I use all the time is a big pain in the ass. However, my router (Linksys WRT54GS) only allows me to specify ONE IP for DMZ, and Quake servers need to have all the ports open to work, but I want my PC to be on the DMZ as well... so that's 2 IPs but only one gets to be on the DMZ. I would prefer to refrain from tearing down the security in the router all togeather, or using UPNP.

Possible solutions?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    that doesn't make any sense, you cant pipe all the ports from 1 ip address to 2 computers.
    you CAN get 2 ip addresses, or you could get a better router that can reliably forward individual ports without performance or stability issues.[i would suggest that, since its the cheapest solution]
    or you could try to forward ports individually on whatever your using now
    quake servers would only need to be set to DMZ if they needed ICMP or something like that, if they just need to be pingable you could just make the router pingable and that should be good enough [plus all the ports forwarded that its gonna need]

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It is impossible to put more than one computer in DMZ mode. You can not forward the same port to more than one computer, and DMZ forwards all ports to whatever computer you specify(excluding any ports you manually forward to another computer).

And depending on what version of the WRT54GS you have, you shouldn't have problems forwarding single ports reliably and stablely. I'd throw some better firmware on it though, if possible.

And which quake are you talking about?

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Port Forward--only DMZ if Port Forward doesn't work. You can use Wire Shark to figure out what ports Quake is using.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I might end up enabling UPNP and putting a better firewall on my mom's pc then, thanks

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just google for the port it uses, and forward it.

IMO, you should never, ever use DMZ unless you're trying to figure out if an issue is port related.

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, and AFAIK no version of Quake requires all the port to be open. Which is why I asked what version he is using.

8. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i think maybe some quake related stuff might want the router to be pingable for showing lag or something maybe tho.