1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting Naked!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by AsphyxiA, Jul 21, 2006.

1. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i was wondering how does one actually take the processor heatsink off of their CPU? I know I know blasphemy, but Ive never done it before, too scared!
  2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Are you talking about the heatsink, or the integrated heatspreader? The heatsink is usually a matter of just unclipping it. The IHS is another matter, which involves a thiin razor blade and much patience (and some balls too). Here is a tutoial from DFI Street on IHS removal:

http://files.filefront.com/IHS_removalwmv/;4763073;;/fileinfo.html
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. dduummyy New Member

Thanks Received:
    depends on what processor/motherboard you have. If its a older amd athlon it just gets held on by a wire clip, youll find a slot for a flathead screwdriver to fit in on one side, apply just enough pressure to unlatch the clip from the tips. If its a pentium 4 youll find 2 latches tht are down, just raise them up and twist. Tell us what you have and we can give you a accurate understanding. I also found all my info doing a google search.
  4. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is more advantageous gettign a better cooler than getting naked CPU. But both will also do.
  5. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm mines a P4 and i have 4 philip screws holding it down...:wtf:

Anyway, don't be scared!! I was scared when I took my first heatsink off/ back on. It's easier than you think, just dont tear it off your mobo or throw it out a window and expect it to be ok. Once you've done it a few times it will be nothing to you.
  6. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have an awsome cooler but i want even cooler temps, overkill i guess :laugh:
    sorry for the confusion though i ment the IHS
  7. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just watched that video and that seems really easy! thanks for the link, now about getting my heatsink to fit on top of the core
  8. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

If you are unfamiliar with hardware modding such as Vmodding, cap modding, etc, and are very new, I WOULD NOT SUGGEST THIS!

It will probably provide at most 1-3C if done *properly* using an accurate tempurature probe and correct remounting pressure.

It is not extremely beneficial, especially for a light air overclock, and puts your CPU in great risk of being killed.

I would actually suggest obtaining a dead CPU (p4 or A64) and de IHS it first so you get the feel for how it handles and make sure you are wary of any SMD's that are under the IHS. (Use an uncapped picture of the same CPU for a guide).

Also, use a foam over the pins (the little black foam newegg sends CPU's in works GREAT) to prevent pin bending, or you'll be spending a few hours fixing those aswell.
  9. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    i made sure to read up on it myself and watch the video...and then decided to try it..i just broke open an old razor and use that blade(really thin) and was very very careful and slow doing it...but ive done it on both my cpus and got an 8 to 10c drop on both was even able to get my atlhon 64 2800+ to go up to 2.5gig where as i could only get it to go to 2.3 from 1.8gig with the ihs on...all in all just be very carefull
  10. BIOHazard87

BIOHazard87 New Member

Thanks Received:
    On intel Prescott cores and newer, its impossible since the IHS is epoxied to the core, so when you remove the IHS, you're going to rip apart the core :D
  11. Zebbo Mushkin Tech Rep

Thanks Received:
    It is possible to take the IHS off of the Prescotts ;) And I mean without messing up the core :)
  12. BIOHazard87

BIOHazard87 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It must be extremely hard then
  13. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    with the skt775 proccies, would the core be lower than the edges of the socket if you remove the IHS?
  14. Zebbo Mushkin Tech Rep

Thanks Received:
    Cant say its "extremely hard" but its not as easy to do as with A64s.

First you have to take the processor itself and IHS apart of the edges, using exact same method as on A64, but then it gets more difficult. You need to have something that allows you to heat up the IHS up to 70-80c which makes the epox giving up :)

It is definately not easy but its totally possible :cool:
  15. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    The socket? Definatly not as the core lies on the PCB itself which is on top of the socket ;)

However, socket 775 you may not be able to clamp it down properly...
  16. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the top plate that clamps down on the cpu is above the pcb. So the die would probably be either level with the top plate or slightly below, which would make getting a good contact with the HS difficult without some modification.
  17. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I got my Pentium D 920 naked, and put on an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, am I going to be facing happy days? Cos I lag in BF2 a fair bit. I reckon it's CPU.
  18. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    wont' be that cpu making you lag ;)

Try uninstalling the catalyst drivers, and cleaning up with driver cleaner pro... restart and install 6.4/6.5.

I'm running on a single core 640 and it's definatly not a bottleneck.
  19. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it's the CPU that is causing lag on BF2, that PD930 is pretty good
  20. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    As far as what heatsinks would work, anything that bolts down should be OK. If it uses clips, etc, you probably will have trouble unless you use some kind of spacer.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I dunno what's making me lag, but my processor really is crap on BF2. In the loading screens, I only just beat an Athlon XP 2.2GHz by a few seconds, and SOMETIMES, it beats me. Everytone in my clan is always in before me, and some have worse processors, and it pisses me off. Do you reckon more ram could actually STOP the lag, when I play BF2, I normally have about 5-600MB free. That chinese airstrip on wake island, I get SERIOUS slowdown.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  22. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    in bf2 i was always last to connect when i had 512 mb ram, now that i upgraded to 1 gig i am first to connect, if that helps. also fps increased much. but you seem to have a gig, so i can't say
  23. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmmmmmmm, I dunno what is causing it either. People are saying my PSU is not suitable for an X850XT, but it runs stable. Can bad PSU cause actual lag or performance drop?
  24. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    AMD at its finest ;-)
    meybe upgrade ALL you drivers? :)
  25. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have all latest drivers and BIOS