1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting parts from garbage

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MohawkAngel, Apr 25, 2010.

1. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    So sweden dont let people get parts and at same time cleaning the planet ;) Good to know ;)
  2. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Found again another rig ...

Pentium 733mhz Coppermine
    3 X 128megs PC133
    32megs AGP Nvidia GeForce MX200
    10/100mbps
    Onboard sound
    Maxtor Diamond Plus 8 40gigs
    LG CD reader
    LG cd burner
    1.44 floppy drive

cleaned everything and got a used generic 360w psu for 10$

Now fully working !
  3. kyle2020 Guest

Its illegal to do that here, too . . . If you go to a tip (dump to you american guys) you can usually buy odd bits for next to nothing, for example my girlfriends mother purchased an immaculate freezer from their local tip for £10 and gave it to a young couple starting in a new home - all it needed was a clean inside and a new fuse. Saves the mess of disposing of it and helps out a needy couple - double win if you ask me.

Seems like getting some older systems and selling them on to the less priveliged for next to nothing could be a good thing to do. Ill have to keep my eyes open next time we go!
  4. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    these rigs your finding happen to be inside peoples houses...:pimp:? just saying, i live in a giant neighborhood....and have never once came across a computer being discarded
  5. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I'm on a somewhat scavenged pc Now...I combined the parts I had (PSU Case) with parts from rebuilds I've done for a few people plus A new free motherboard from Microcenter for buying a AII x4 630 for a build I did for somebody that wanted an AM3 setup with DDR3
    I also got 4gb of super talent DDR2 pc2-6400 from another build and a Athlon 4400+ AM2 cpu from another rebuild Only problem with this system is I only got a 80gb IDE HDD that's so slow it ain't fast enough to check in when I first start up...I have to reset the PC so the hard drive will be ready with the rest of the system...

With everything I got connected you would think it would load XP up fairly quick but it takes 10 minutes to get online cause the HDD is so slow
  6. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know where you live but im in a somewhat wealthy neighborhood with houses and kids are growing so going to college parents dumps old computers and buy them new ones. Theres no question for me to steal anything and I know some cops in my town i'm a good citizen who just care about our planet and dont wanna let it end up in a dump the friday when the dump truck pass. I helped many people by selling them real cheap computers and by doing my part for the planet.

JMCSLOB maybe your problem are the IDE cables. change it for newer ones who can transfer more data faster believe me it helps a lot on older computers.
    Be sure also to put the HDD in Master mode single on the IDE-1 slot on mobo and the optical readers on the second one the n setup up the bios to read the HDD first and the n after the optical drives. You start computer with good cables and reading first the HDD.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just read what I said and real full post before asking stupid questions.

When have you ever seen people putting their garbage in their own houses with computers in it ?
    You must have a big ass trash can in your kitchen to do it lol
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It's like heaven in the US for it :). Were like living in the UK you don't see it as people have to pay and when they take the stuff to the dumps you have people who look for stuff but you have to be carefull as your only allowed to dump and not salvage.

But here OMG all ya need to know is what time your area dumps the stuff outside :).
  9. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Ive got 60+ Celeron, 512mb DDR2, 40GB HDD systems sat here if anyone wants them :roll:

I think you will find he was joking with you. Insinuating that you are breaking into peoples homes and stealing these 'found' PCs :) Sarcasm, google it lol :)
  10. {Sniping}Waste

Thanks Received:
    About a month ago. Here in Dallas TX at the computer fair thats one time a month I picked up a Intel E6300 used for $5 and works great. Some times theres not much there but some times your be shocked what your find too for just $1 to $10 each.
  11. Perseid New Member

Thanks Received:
    My best find was like 20+ years ago. A woman was setting an old Commodore monitor out to the curb so my mom stopped her and asked if we could take it. She said it didn't work but we could have it.

This monitor was for the C-64/C-128, and had a 40 column mode and a monochrome 80 column mode, each of which had separate hookups, and there was a switch on the front to flip between the two. It was set to 80 column mode and the woman had a 40 column hookup. All we had to do was flip the switch and it worked. Still works now I believe. :)
  12. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to do that at my old school (I left years ago) and I asked them what they did with the old ones, the bastards sell them on to refurb companies to make extra money... instead of give them to awesome people like me :|
  13. HUSKIE

HUSKIE New Member

Thanks Received:
    while ago i got office chair(from the skip) beside sainbury's store i cleaned it up and it's fine everythings working. i went to curry's i asked how much the office chair?(similar i had found) i was really shock it's 40 quid... now im so happy!!!! i just waiting to dry my chair i think it's been from wet....
  14. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    7 years ago I found a fairly new pentium 4 rig in the trash
  15. warup89

Thanks Received:
    I knew someone that used to work for Adaptec, he told me that they would trow out/recycle/crush fully working hardware due to space limitations, and such. Well one night i went to their dumpster and I found 5 120gb IDE drives,a naked x1800xtx and some RAID controllers. I literally dumpster dived for a couple of nights until they started locking the dumpster :p...this was back in around 05.

-so for best luck, dumpster dive on tech companies =]
  16. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sucks ...big companies prefer to trash the cash instead of giving it ....thats what I call pure fuc**** capitalist greed.
  17. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I went dumpster diving on the local regional council electronic trash storage. It helps that a good buddy of mine is responsible for all of their government computer systems, so he let me in.

I pull out a ton of 40GB HDDs, DDR1 RAM and old Compaq mATX cases which are built to survive a nuclear bomb or something. They are frakkin' heavy.

I also have first picks from whatever the local comp store wants to throw out. Usually it is systems of people who upgraded theirs by buying a new one and left the old one in the store since they "have nothing to do with it".

I rebuilt quite a few of them and sold them at 100$ per box to fund my i7 975 about a year and a bit ago.
  18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm totally a junk freak. I have cleared out quite a bit though, so i'm low on hardware now. you have to do that when you live in a 1 room appartment. :laugh:

Anyway, I mostly get the harddrives. 256MB SDR-sticks or more can be a nice boost, but anything older than socket 370 doesn't have much use in it (unless you want it as a printer server or firewall/router or something, but thinking about power usage you'd be better off to buy a proper one instead. :p). Hard drives have magnets in them. I like magnets. :)
  19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I accidentally threw away a Core 2 Extreme QX6700, maybe one of you guys will find it.;)
  20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

Follow up: How on earth did you do that??
  21. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Took it out of an older 775 system, and kept it in as paper towel on my desk, i kept it there for a couple of days and i forgot it was there. Now that i look for it, its not there, chances are i thought it was trash and threw it out.

Man do i feel stupid.:shadedshu
  22. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    It happens..........not often, but crazy shit like that does happen :D How much were they worth at the time?
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  23. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    In my neighborhood we have "bulky trash pickup" where you can put whatever you want on the curb and it gets picked up. Starting when I was around 12 I went around and walked the streets looking for computers, grabbing what I could, usually 1 PC. Not that I have a car I can grab like 3 or 4. I generally just pull parts and leave the rest on the curb though.
  24. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Since most people own a brand PC, you're lucky if you find a pre-assembled...

Branded PCs require complicated installation repair technicians and original software.

Those are R.E.A.L garbage pc's.
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    stuff like RAM and hard drives are always re-usable