1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting Ready for Water Cooling - Please Advise

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by swistak92, Aug 3, 2010.

1. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,
    So to make it short, I'm getting tired of my stock cooling on the cpu and would like to overlock the gpu a bit more but heat is my problem.

So I decided to go water cooling and I would like the loop to include the gpu and cpu.
    It would be good if you guys could look into this website http://pccasegear.com/ and tell me which components I should get, I'm looking to spend 300 more or less.... so kinda on a budget so don't go over board :p reason why I'm asking for advice is because I know jack... about water cooling, no idea which brands are at the top so please help.

Thanks in advance :D
  2. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So far I'm considering:

Pump:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11767

Radiator:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13021

CPU Block:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13867

VGA Block:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12795

I'm really clueless if this is the good stuff so please help me out... also I noticed in the gpus block, in the description it says It's for reference cards... I thought non reference cards just differ by the cooler on it and voltage control... will I be able to use this block on my powercolor pcs+ 5850?
  3. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the pump, I would go with a 355, with an after market top. the ek top is a good one, but all of them have the same performance.. the CPU block is great. and for the rad, i rather take the swiftech, as it proven to be a good budget rad.

Now the 5850 top will not fit any of the non reference PCB's. So keep that in mind. I would suggest you go over to the EK home page and check for compatibility. But it looks like they dont have anything else in stock.
  4. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    First things first, look for a less expensive shop... :eek:

For your pump, have you considered this? It's not as sexy looking as the 655 but it's a very strong performer, probably on par or even better than the 655. Either one you choose, change the pump top. i.e.: for the 355. With built-in res is even better :rockout:

For the 655. Either way, you deffinitely need a reservoir, just running a T-line will make getting rid of air bubbles a PITA :shadedshu

Your cpu block selection is dead-on :toast:. I wouldn't change that at all. Then again I may be a little biased (check my specs) :p

For your video card, the EK-FC 5850 you chose will only fit refefrence cards and not yours. EK does not currently make a full cover block for the non reference 5850.

Hopefully some TPU members living in your area can guide you to a less expensive shop :ohwell:

Good luck and have fun :toast:

EDIT: Damn, I gotta learn to type faster...
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean by changing the top? :eek:

EDIT: Nvm got it now lol
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. Rakesh95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Trust me man, I live in Melbourne (Where PCCG lives too) I buy my stuff from them, they are pretty much the cheapest around melbourne if not Australia. Even if they are a bit expensive, there service is the best of any shop.

Im no WC expert my self, but one piece of advice I can give to you is to make sure you buy the correct set of barbs and tubing. Don't overlook small details, thats the trick, and ask Rob ( I think thats his name ) to check it for you just in case.

Another suggestion for ya is maybe you can go to koolance.com, I think they ship to Oz.
  8. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
  9. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    should I go with 2x 120mm or 3x 120mm rad?
  10. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so a little summary so far:

pump + res:
    Swiftech MCP355 Pump
    EK-DDC X-RES 100 Acetal

cpu block:
    EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper

Fittings and tubing:
    Bitspower G1/4 Black Diamond 1/2 Fitting
    Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2 ID

Still unsure about the rad...

and as of now there is no vga blocks available for my gpu right?
  11. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which case are you using?

The swiftech is just a little more so I will go with that and try and get a 3x120 so that you can add a gpu block later.
  12. Rakesh95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there any reason why you cant use 2 separate rads? like a 2x120 on th top and 120 on the back or on the bottom?
  13. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i suggest compression fittings if you can get them so much cleaner looking over all compared to using clamps etc
  15. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes I thought about getting the compression fittings... however are they as leak proof as clamps?
  16. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well i know alot of ppl around here using compression fittings and i had no issues when i used them to test my pump (couldnt push through my rad but when the rad was removed in a closed loop with the res it never leaked) that said id ask around and see what ppl think
  17. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    You should get for good cooling a swiftech 3x120 if you want even better than that you will need 2 of them . the small 120mm ones suck ( I had one trust me suck city ) the 2x120 rads are fine I like mine and added it to my loop with the 3x120 and I get some nice cool temps now .
  18. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I sometimes had issues with the early compression fittings but now with BP or Fesser, leaks usually only happen if I screw up the installation
  19. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would not use compression fittings . I like a nice hose clamp fitting screw type . I use 1/2 hose as well . more flow you have the cooler you can keep it .
    Keep it simple and you should have no leaks .
  20. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks to all of you for the compressions feedback, really appricated

Yes I would love to go with 3x but my case can only fit either 2x or 1x inside of it... otherwise I would have to go outside.. and it doesnt look too attactive... so is there really that much in perfomance drop when it comes to 2x and 1x?
  21. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well IMHO there is a bit of a cooling difference any time you ADD more surface are or in this case more volume then you can and do get better temps . then just get two 2x120s and hook them into the loop the more the better .
  22. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so I actually decided to buy a single 2x 120mm rad for now... and at later time when I add in gpu into the loop ill get another stack able 2 x 120mm rad
  23. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that is going to cool your hardware really good .
  24. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received: