1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting the SSD itch, what is good?? and what is BAD??

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Melvis, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ok im starting to ge the itch for a new HDD, a SSD this time, and this would be my first SSD and this is to replace my near 5 year old WD Raptor as my OS drive.

So ive heard good things about Intel SSD's and bad things about Corsair SSD's with bad Firmware? and to be honest i havent heard much else about other SSD's, so whats good? and what is bad?

Im after a 120/8GB SSD just as a OS drive, no games will be installed on it, just OS and Programs. Also looking for one that has a good 5yr warranty, fast of course, but most importantly one thats going to last a long time with out problems, rock solid.

Im more interested in the BAD things people have had with there SSD's not so much the good stuff, as i want to eliminate all the bad ones etc.

I was thinking going a Kingston Hyper x series? what does everyone else think?

Tell me all!! :toast:
  2. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    Melvis says thanks.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    The good and bad with SSDs is relative. There will always be some unhappy people with the products that they buy. Reliability is what you are looking for if I'm correct. Any SSD will be a HUGE jump in speed so it will be noticeable no matter which one you get. Firmware has come a long way, especially with Sandforce-driven SSDs.

What your after is the company that has great customer service and one that is a reliable/stable SSD. My Corsair hasn't given me any problems really, I mean nothing that couldn't be solved through talking it out here or on Corsair's very own forums. Samsung's 840 pro series are fantastic as well, IMO I would go with a 128 Samsung 840 pro. It would seem perfect for your needs. Intel's SSDs is also very reliable, but has always been more expensive than other SSDs in their size range.
    Melvis says thanks.
  4. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea that is true, and its hard as SSD's havent been around long enough to know what is good and what isnt. Yep im after reliability more then anything else, speed isnt realy a big deal as any SSD will be faster then what i use now.

I seem to lean towards brands that actually DO memory as you would think these brands would know alot more about how it works, whats best to use etc, then say a company that has nothing to do with memory at all. Just my logic.

Ill look mor einto the Samsungs, never a huge fan of there stuff apart from Monitors, but ill look into it more, and intel well i have played with one intel before, the drive worked fine but the quality of the drive its self was poor.
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    Vertex 4 is shit,OCZ Vector is another story....I would go for anything modern Corsair,OCZ VEctor or the Samsung 840 Pro ( NOT the TLC version)
    Melvis says thanks.
  6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 of the 840 Pro series, the firmware on them makes them a bit slower than the reviews, but at least they don't die now.

My overall impression is they are good, but not worth the money unless you are going for absolute worst case scenario performance. Sandforce based drives are great for the money, and if you are going to SSD I would encourage you to use a mechanical hard disk for your media as the cost per GB is reasonable, and use the SSD to boot and run temp, swap and programs from.
    Melvis says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yep thats what i intend to do with the SSD as i said above^ just as a OS drive, for programs, thats about it, no games, no realy important stuff, just the basic's, just want reliability and quality. 5year warranty be a must i think.
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Everyone seems to think that the SSD is fragile and going to break and die.

Quit it.

Use and abuse it, you will perhaps wear out one set of blocks with temp, swap, and programs on it in 5 years, by which time you will have upgraded again so the point is moot. I have had my two Vertex 3 in RAID for a while now and no degradation of performance, Only the blocks being written and erased constantly will be used hard, and the controller will move the physical location around to "wear level", so 5-7 years of use for the normal user before bad blocks start showing up is more than enough.
    okidna says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Have you considered the Plextor M5S/M5P drives?
    Both models are getting good reviews and the Pro drives come with that 5 year warranty you're after.
    I'm happy with my M5P, although their claimed firmware improvements didn't really deliver in the first update, but it wasn't as if the drive was slow in the first place.
  10. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    No one said there fragile and going to die, its just like normal HDD's but there are twice as many brands doing them which makes it alot harder to determine what one is better then the other.

If im parking out $$$ for a SSD i dont care what brand it is, i expect it to last 5yrs+, my WD have done just that. Also having a drive with 5yr warranty on them is a good peace of mind also, knowing if in 4.5yrs and it shits its self i can still get it replaced, and im after a drive thats going to last 5yrs at the least as no i dont intend to upgrade again unless the prices are crazy cheap like mechanical drives are now.

Also once i know what is good this can then be used to flow down to my customers to say yep this is good and reliable and fast then such and such drive, its important.

Ive never heard of them to be honest, so i wouldnt know where to start with that brand to be honest, sorry. But my supplier do have these in stock.
  11. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I've looking at the Sandisk Extreme series or the Samsung 840 series...not pro
    I could care less about not having an extra 200mb/s write speed as long as the read speed is high...that and 240 mb/s write speed average isn't bad imo

The Sandisk Extreme series 128gb 490r/350w costs about $100 and the 240gb 550r/520w costs about $170 and then they also have a Ultra Plus line out that has slightly slower write speeds for the same price...not sure whats up with that....and they have a 3 year warranty

EDIT: Ultra Plus is designed for noteboos...
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Melvis says thanks.
  12. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I'm surprised. It's a Japanese company and they've been one of the top manufacturers of optical drives for many, many years.
    They moved into SSD's a few years back and so far have a very good reliability track record.
    Here's a link to a review of the M5 and M3 series of drives http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/plextor-m5-pro-m5s.html
    Melvis says thanks.
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I have a friend who will be going with sandisk and i can understand why> I think ill let him go with the sandisk and ill go with a different brand and see which one has the less issues.

Also i can get the sandisk SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB $119.00 AUS

Hmm ok fair enough, i just havent heard of them till i saw there SSD's at the online shop. Ok well that is good to hear, and thanks for the link i will indeed look into them :toast:

Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB SSD $119.00
  14. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I can not say I have had any problems with my Samsung 830 128GB SSD.
    Melvis says thanks.
  15. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    running 2 Corsairs Force GTs 120GB on 990FX chipset in Raid 0

my results:
    [​IMG]
    better cables can bring more (stock MB/ 3rd party)

i luv em :)
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Melvis says thanks.
  16. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I have always had my eye on Corsair SSD's, always been a fan and impressed by Corsairs quality, but ever since my LAN friend had so many issues with firmware it turned me right off them, but if that has all been fixed since then? (2yrs ago or so now) then i would be happy to give Corsair ago?
    n0tiert says thanks.
  17. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    as far as i can remember, all Sandforce SF-22xx based chips from that Ara had the Issues..
    Melvis says thanks.
  18. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Melvis, jmcslob and n0tiert say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ive been looking into Plextor since you mentioned them and i must admit from what ive been reading they do look realy good and full of new features and components that others just don't have.

You might have me sold on one of these :toast:
  20. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

Says who? OCZ has updated the firmware with their SSD's and the perform quite well.