1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

getting this laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by strick94u, Dec 19, 2007.

1. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    I decided that battery run time is more important than speed so I am getting an acer aspire 5929 6470 which ia a tuned down 5920 and at 700 bucks is a bargin. 2.5 hours charge time is what people that own them say they get. My old laptop run great it just gets about 45 minutes on battery and my wife can use it as a desk top.

specs:
    Mid-size laptop: The Acer Aspire AS5920-6470 is a mid-size laptop, with more than enough processing power and everything you will need for basic computing, entertainment and online communication.

Dual core/64-bit processing: The 1.5GHz Core 2 Duo T5250 has two processing engines that work in tandem, providing much faster results than standard 1.5GHz processors. This processor is also capable of processing 64 bits of information at once, double the ability of standard 32-bit processors. Intel Centrino technology enhances mobile performance and extends battery life.

This laptop features 2GB of DDR2 system memory—perfect for all but the most demanding users, gamers and multimedia professionals. DDR2 is slightly faster than DDR, the previous standard in system memory.
    Data travels to the processor along the frontside bus. The faster data travels, the faster everything works. This laptop features a 667MHz frontside bus.
    Processors search for the same data over and over. L2 caches keep this data neat, organized, and nearby so it can be retrieved more quickly. This 2MB L2 cache is large, providing a potentially significant boost in performance.

Hard drive: This hard drive features a 200GB capacity—perfect for a robust collection of music, movies and multimedia. This drive’s data disks spin at 5400rpm. The faster they spin, the faster the data is read and written.

Blazing-fast wireless N: Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN lets you take advantage of the speed of the latest and fastest networks, as well as networks using the most popular standards.

DVD SuperMulti drive: Use this drive to burn DVDs and CDs to share your files, music mixes or home movies. You can even burn DVD-RAM discs—specially-formatted discs that let you drag and drop, or write and rewrite your files up to 100,000 times.

Widescreen display: This laptop features a gorgeous 15.4" high-definition widescreen display with CrystalBrite technology and 1280 x 800 pixel (WXGA) resolution. Your documents and movies have never looked better.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium: Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for homes with advanced computer needs. And Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface. You’ll be able to use your laptop more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiences—all with the benefit of added security and reliability.

Audio/video: This laptop features integrated graphics and 358MB of shared video memory, which is drawn from the main system memory. This video memory is perfect for everyday activities like casual movie watching or gaming. The built-in Dolby-certified surround sound stereo speakers and subwoofer give your multimedia some extra kick.

Media card reader: Seamlessly transfer images from your digital camera or camcorder. This 5-in-1 reader is compatible with Secure Digital, xD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and MultiMedia Card.

ExpressCard/54 slot: This laptop supports ExpressCard, an emerging standard in smaller, faster PC card solutions. This slot is compatible with ExpressCard/54 as well as ExpressCard/34—use it to add memory, graphics upgrades, security devices and more.

Built-in webcam: Turn your next instant message into a live video chat with the integrated 1.3 megapixel webcam, omni-directional microphone and Windows Messenger. Or take still photos and short video clips that you can edit and email.

Software bundle:
    Acer Empowering Technology, Arcade, Crystal Eye, GridVista, Launch Manager, Video Conference Manager
    Norton Internet Security (90-day trial)
    Adobe Acrobat Reader
    CyberLink PowerProducer (OEM version)
    NTI CD-Maker (OEM version)

only problem is vista but it has listed xp drivers on acers site:rolleyes:
  2. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well got it and so far its great right now I am seeing how long the battery will last while I surf the interweb and do some other things like transfer mp3 from my player and charge it.
    looks like about 3 hours. It is not a gamer but I knew that going in 1.5 ghz centrion with intel gma 3100 graphics that are indeed DX10 but i don't have to worry about running dx10 games :laugh: and thats not what I wanted my old laptop with a new battery would not make an hour run time.My wife is going to use the old laptop as her desk top and why not its a nice pc amd 3400 nvidia mx440 graphics dvd burner. This acer is their new gemstone line and looks great and is lite considering its size. It will let you watch movies in a scaled down version of xp that uses very little power, but its OS is vista home premium and thats taking me some time to get used to :confused:

all in all neat pc so far
  3. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    whats the graphics on the laptop like?
  4. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    They look great has a ultra bright screen 15.4 not real powerful though about like the nvidia 5300 it says it shares 548 megs of ram video play back is excellent and it runs old games great
    like ut2004 so.....