1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

getting too much BSOD !? whats causing it ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Master, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    Hello All .
    recently one of my friends faced multiple BSODs, periodically ! he describes it as sth like this :
    he said:
    any way what is the cause , and how can i help him ?
    is his harddisk drive faulty?
    Thank you all in advance
    savis says thanks.
  2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I'd grab UBCD, burn iso to CD, and test the ram and HD.
    savis and Master say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    i forgot to mention this , he checked the hard disk using HDTUNE to see if there is any kind of bad sector ,
    and i just talked to him on the phone , he said that : 24 hours after he scanned his friends hard-disk drive , his system hanged completely and he had to restart physically(pushing the reset button on the case!) , after that since he was afraid of virus infection , he reformatted the drive C and installed a fresh copy of windows , installed everything he needed and updated his security softwares !
    it was fine for the past week! till today , and the rest of the story happened!
    -and one more thing , he said that he hot plugged his sata hdd , could this cause this problem ?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    savis says thanks.
  4. lindy New Member

Thanks Received:
    De-cyphering the hex from the bluescreen would go a long way toward fixing the problem.
    Example:
    [​IMG]

Your friend can use a program like Bluescreenview to read the dump.
    savis says thanks.
  5. commission3r

commission3r

Thanks Received:
    generally if a hard drive is ticking away its letting u know its getting 2 old for the job
    a loud ticking sound is different from the ticking sound when its reading data
    when its loud the sound is constant and generally at 1 point on the drive and can cause a bsod or cause the system to hang and reboot if its on the c drive
    testing with various software for bad sectors does not always report the problem
    if its happening constantly then consider a replacement
    formatting can correct the problem but usually its a temporary solution
    when data is written to that particular sector and it needs to be read u will experience the same conditions u have encountered already
    i have experienced many drive failures and there's no common cause like life it happens
    a notice from the drive that its days are numbered is a audible tick much like the sound of the second hand moving on a clock except its stopping at the same place repeatedly causing a lock up
    good luck 2 ur friend and suspecting its a virus is premature although not unlikely
    savis says thanks.