1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GFs laptop HELP needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lZKoce, Jul 29, 2014.

1. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I am desperate. So here's the deal. My fiancee's laptop is Dell Inspirion N5110/ i3+HD3000+ GT525 1GB DDR3/ mechanical HDD/ 6GB 1333mhz RAM (1x4gb+2GB- it came this way from the shop).

She complained to me, that she can't watch her movies. So I took a peak. And she was right. I can't open ANY video format with ANY player. As soon as the player is about to play the file is says: "Program has stopped working". Some of the players and formats I tried: MPHC, GOM player, BS player, WMP, K-Lite codec pack, mp4, mkv, avi.

So I decided to make a fresh install, because I am running a VL key. Today I installed fresh Windows 8.1+update included: MSDN download. Guess what: I still can't play any video. What I noticed ALSO, is that I can't make skype calls- video or audio only- as soon as I try to call somebody- skype hangs, I can only chat to people.

One thing to note: I didn't use both GPU's Dell drivers, but the latest one's from Intel and nVidia websites repsectively. Everything else is recognized from windows. No yellow question marks. I haven't put chipset drivers, but it seems to be ok.

I ran integrity check with sfc /SCANNOW - everything is good 100%.

Please help, I am kinda angry at the fact I can't really help her.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Run Speccy, see what hardware it thinks is actually installed and working. Sounds like any form of video acceleration isn't working, dependant upon what hardware it's trying to do it from.

lZKoce says thanks.
  3. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    It sounds possibly like you really should install the chipset driver. It might help the various codecs you tried to work.

lZKoce says thanks.
  4. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    I installed Speccy - nifty program, although I usually use HWInfo64. But Speccy is pretty cool too. Anyway, problem solved- I unistalled the newest drivers and put on Dell one's- everything runs like butter now, and Skype doesn't hang anymore. It took me two weeks of anger management before I try reverting the drivers. (facepalm)

Edit: to moderators: u can close/delete the topic if you wish.

Constantine Yevseyev says thanks.
  5. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    First, you should definitely check your Device Manager applet (it's called "Диспечера на устройства" in Bulgarian version, just press Windows + X and you'll see it). You're looking for "Display adapters" category. Make sure that there are two devices present, they should be called "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" and "NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M" respectively. If any of those two looks at least something different (say, the NVIDIA's one got "WDDM" in its name), you should update your graphics software immediately. The packages Dell provide are fairly outdated, so you might want to grab these:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23764/a08/win64_152822.exe
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/340.52/340.52-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

There are no "chipset drivers" for Intel platform (at least if we're talking about Sandy Bridge). The "Chipset Device Software" thing is just a bunch of text files that are being used as a dictionary of some sort in order to provide operating system (and software developers) with proper names of the devices they need to have control over during debugging process; the hardware itself (SM bus, PCI-E hosts and so on) is already up and running once you see a login screen. It always used to be this way (at least ever since 800 Series, which got its first Intel INF software package 10 years ago).

lZKoce and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    While the issue of drivers might be worth investigating, it might be worth also trying VLC since it has its codecs baked in rather than relying on third-party codecs. Might solve the video/audio playing issues.

Crunching for Team TPU