1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gfx card dying ? Help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saltystew, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Saltystew

Saltystew

Thanks Received:
    Well I recently upgraded my computer put new ram mobo cpu and gfx card into my computer and everything was going fine I played skyrim maxed out over 90 mods for two and a half days, then I went on a two week long trip and come back and I jump on skyrim play for about 10 minutes till my friends wanted me to voice chat with them, I never installed the drivers for my Logitech G35 so I go look it up and download it and half through the install my computer restarts and looks like this [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have no idea what happened I uninstalled that Logitech driver and nothing changed then I searched on some forums and some said to check the status of the gfx card in device manager so I did and it said "windows has disabled this device. (code 43)" code 43 means something like the drivers aren't compatible with the gfx card, couldn't find much on the meaning, I tried doing a clean install of nvidia drivers by using this http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers#post15432476, and then re-installed the latest driver but it just happened again like in those pictures at the moment I have my card set to standard vga graphics adapter my normal resolution is 1920 by 1080 but with out the drivers i can only go up to 1280 by 1024 but that looks odd on my screen so i put it at 1280 by 800 and I'm posting this here because i know every one is helpful and nice. So please someone give me a hand I need my skyrim lol...

pc specs

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB...
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Qua...
    Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM...
    graphics card: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB...

thanks in advance.

sorry for the long post!

2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Do a system restore to before the day you installed that and you will be back up and running.

3. Saltystew

Saltystew

Thanks Received:
    Thats another thing I remember making restore points after I built it all but my computer says I have none. :/ first thing I tried

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    You can try a system restore as mentioned above, but I'm pretty sure Windows doesn't have real video drivers loaded on the splash screen where it is artifacting like crazy. Also, try installing the drivers manually via Device Manager and finding the driver .inf file in the C:\NVIDIA folder (don't have the exact path handy, sorry). If nothing ends up working, yank out the card and try your processor's integrated graphics.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Saltystew

Saltystew

Thanks Received:
    well I know it has to do with the gfx card because it only goes nuts like when I have a nvidia driver loaded in. but ill try that cpu thing

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Boot up in safe mode, uninstall the logitech and nvidia drivers.

Reinstall the nvidia drivers. DO NOT INSTALL THE LOGITECH

Reboot and see if that fixed it.

If that doesn't work I'd just do a fresh windows install. It saves all ur old stuff in a windows.old folder and should fix any deep seated driver issues.

7. Saltystew

Saltystew

Thanks Received:
    ive already uninstalled logitech drivers and yes not reinstalled them and then uninstalled nvidia drivers and installed the latest one like i said but i didnt do it in safe mode would that make a difference ?

btw I'm tying not to reformat at all costs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  8. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Artifacts while booting as the first photo shows points to video card, pcie slot or PSU failure or overheating. No software or driver involved.

itsakjt says thanks.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It reads the drivers in that process, so if the pictures are taken after that point it could be drivers.

So, does it ALWAYS look like that? Even while, for instance, in BIOS? How about safe mode?

10. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I thought they were read after it when the monitor flashes before login screen. Anyway I think the video card or something GFX related is the issue.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You still get some seconds of Starting Windows. I think anyway. Could be wrong tho.

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Does it artifact on the initial boot screen or in the bios? I'm inclined to agree with Derek and think it might be the video card.

Like said, yank the card and try it with the onboard video.

13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully you have a spare hard drive to install just the windows OS and GPU drivers to see if the same problem occurs.

It's does seem very strange the Logitech drivers could have this affect on the display.

14. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    yap, could sound like a gfx, and if it don't well then it's the motherboard.

but either way try to test the gfx in another machine, to see if it artifacts there too.

15. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the same with it being a bum card.. but it started when he tried to install unrelated drivers which makes it sound like he corrupted something.

I still say do a windows reinstall and see if it fixes it. If not than the card is KIA.

16. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    card is gone, one of the memory chips on the card is corrupt. nothing you can do but RMA it

17. mandis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had 2 ASUS EN9800GTs do the exact same thing after being pushed for extended periods of time. Both developed hardware issues. It appears that these things are not built to last very long...

18. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    you could try to clean your drivers then install older ones, wouldn't expect much though.

19. Saltystew

Saltystew

Thanks Received:
    It would look fine in the BIOS and in safe mode

I have taken out the 550 ti and put back in my old 9800 and everything seems to be working fine but would that mean its the gfx card it self meaning if i say go buy another 550 ti or a 560 would i be ok ?

20. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I think you should be fine with a new card if the 9800 GT (same power requirements) works completely fine. I'd recommend at least a GTX 650 (matches your 550 Ti) or greater because the 500 series cards are obsolete. A GTX 760 is roughly 3x more powerful and it's only twice the cost of a 650.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    Saltystew says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. speedpc

speedpc

Thanks Received:
    True statement :( The price we pay for these things and then they die right after warranty expires, I have a 4870x2 and a gtx580 that does the exact same thing, My cards were never OC'd and had plenty of cooling and one day BAM everything was corrupt on the screen just like yours. Hey a least I have some cool paper weights :(

22. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    i had an 8800gt do this (that i found in a dumpster). so I stuck it in the oven @350F for 20min. It still works to this day. Of course its in storage now that i'm using my 7850. waiting to use it as a physx card later.

make sure the card is seated all the way. had a 3DFX VooDoo III do this too when it wasn't in the slot just right.

More than 25k PPD
  23. Saltystew

Saltystew

Thanks Received:
    Well called my uncle because hes extremely smart in this kinda stuff and he messed around with it for awhile and it came down to the fact that if it were the nvidia drivers my 9800 would be messing up the same way the 550 ti is so he said its the card alone and to replace it and it makes sense so i went with what Jstn7477 said and got the 650 ti

MSI N650TI-1GD5/V1 GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit ...

24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    The 650 Ti should be fine with gaming on your resolution.
    might have to reduce the graphics a bit on some games.

25. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Exactly this.

@OP- Anyways you may try to bake it in the oven and see what happens.