1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte 8600GT overclocking

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by VitasiA, Jun 2, 2007.

1. VitasiA

VitasiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I OC the video card some games stuck.
    It happens when I OC the memory. I tried OCing just the 3d core and everything is fine (current core clock is 684mhz). I gotta say that the temperatures are fine even with the memory overlocked.

Does that mean I won't be able to OC the memory?

thanks in advance :)

2. VitasiA

VitasiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    To be precise, games stuck when there is a big distance to draw. Like when you climb up to a high point in GTA san andreas the video card draws the whole city.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    By "stuck", I assume you mean "lock".

I suggest you get some heatsinks to stick on your RAM, or just get a better VGA cooler that actually bothers to cool the GPU/RAM/VRM's.

Or you can just point a fan at your video card. That works too, and it's much cheaper than 5 pounds of copper :p.

4. thrazt New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi there...i also have a 8600GT...used to have this prob until i adjusted my core and mem properly...my core is only at 635 and my mem is at 860...no prob whatsoever...and 3D mark 06 score was like 6200+ frm a 5700+....i use ATI tools to OC it...

u wan to try looking under my thread...its name...Overclocking 8600GT...lotsa help there...

good luck with ur OC...lower ur core...but dun push ur mem too high...nt over 900...with a stock cooler...which is what i am using..until i get the zalman cooler.. =)

VitasiA says thanks.
  5. VitasiA

VitasiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've selected auto-optimize option in Vtuner3 and it works fine. The core clock is 684 and 804 mem.

6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :D So my advice worked for you nicely then! good overclock! well done.

7. Beelzebub_can New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got my XFX 8600GT XXX with a spare zalman VF700-Cu heatsink on it, from stock 620/800 to 755/944.. So it kicks the 8600GTS's ass before any volt mods..

:nutkick:

Perfect card for under 2 bills

8. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Very nice! but my neighbour has a Galaxy 8600GTS with a custom waterblock on it, voltmodded and he is running it at 835 on the core ans 2320 on memory! In 3D Mark 2005/6 he can match and beat a 1950XTX!!!!

9. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    One word: CRIKEY!:eek:

10. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    My thoughts, was kind of hoping I could talk him into doing one for me but he had all the parts from old rigs/setups, the waterblock etc looks aweful but performs well, he idles at around 44C and 65C full load even at those speeds! He hardly games however and I am sure he only does this to make me jelous!! :nutkick:

11. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5010

Galaxy makes their cards from well-picked parts sometimes. I bet a 1950XTX will kill that card in real world gaming in high res though. Even at 2ghz+ the 8600GTS wont have the same memory bandwidth as the 1950.

12. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, I would quite like to try the Gainward 512MB 8600GTS, it comes with 1.0Ns memory, If i could only talk him into voltmodding and cusomer water on it I think with the extra memory it would be awesome but I agree, at the end of the day the 128 bandwidth is going to hold them back.

13. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    The 128 bit is the only thing stopping these cards from being 8800 quality.

14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i tried 680/800 but i started getting artifacts i clocked my core down to 660 and it runs fine weird thing is when it was at 680 and i started 3dmark i left ati tool open and when i got artifacts i aborted and my temp was only 66ºC WTF? i dont get it any help?

15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps it wants more voltage.

16. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    how do you go about a voltage mod? i dont know the pin or solder points to make the bump or how much each bump will do. or how much i need.

17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Sorry Solaris, can't help you there. I was under the impression that you could tweak voltages with software. Have you given RivaTuner a shot?

Solaris17 says thanks.
  18. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    no i havent tried riva tuner yet i think ill do that when i get home thnx dude i totally forgot aout that program. maybe theirs a fan option to i tired looking with ati tool but w1zz hasnt programed it yet.

19. thrazt New Member

Thanks Received:
    do u guy be volt modding it..it could run better...and what does it mean by volt modding, feeding the card with more voltage than its alr been feed? as you can see from the XFX...they are OC to a high value..mem something around 1k if i'm not wrong...( i also wan mine to be like that!!) since i'm currently running 635//860...hope i can push it further...

i think the both of us need alot of help here..

=)

i'm thinking of OC to about 700+//1k...but just cant push it beyond what i am now...still gettin artifacts if i do...is the temp. affecting how much we can OC? or is some other factors that are playing, that we dun know of?

20. thrazt New Member

Thanks Received:
    ooh yeah...forgot...imo, i think its easier to OC with ATI tools and push fan speed with rivatuner...i have a hard time trying to figure out how to OC with Riva...

21. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    From looking at the guide, a voltmod does not seem too difficult, I once did an old 7900GT and had the core running faster than the GTX!

For you guys that are interested or just plain inquisitive, a mod guide is here:

http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4875&s=2

It shows some spectacular results.....near 1Gig on the core!! :eek: Just make sure that anyone considering this is either:

1. Mad
    2. Courageous
    3. Rich
    4. Mad, Courageous and rich

Preferably number 4, please remember warranties are not just void...they are laughable and get that cooling ready! (I think it's called Antartica :) )

Hope it at least informs.

22. Beelzebub_can New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a crazy overclock! but if you can get the 8600GT to the levels (on Air) shown in the link below then why spend $70CDN+Tax more for a GTS. I found this for anyone wanting to do voltmods to a 8600GT.. http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4925&s=5

NUTS!

23. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I agree but the thing is, whilst the cores are the same, the only way a GT is going to match a GTS is by a voltmod, same cores = less voltage to core on GT = Slower, and also you have to remember, the GT's memory will likely be infirior, again with lower volts hence why the GTS can acheive such high memory speeds, most GTS's come with 1.1ns memory....some like the gainward with 1.0ns memory, thats asgood as it gets on any GDDR3 card on the planet basically, if a GT only comes with 1.2-1.4ns memory, no matter how much voltage you put through it it is not going to compete with the GTS.

The secret is therefore, buy a GT but shop around for one with 1.1ns memory chips, there must be some out there, if you can find it and coupled with a voltmod then you may be getting near a voltmodded GTS....make sense?