1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Dual-BIOS update problem

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Black Hades, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Black Hades

Black Hades

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to update my GA-EX38-DS5 bios, bought it in feb 2008, the board came with F1 original bios, flashed it succesfully to F2 version using the @Bios utillity (from Windows XP SP3).

Meanwhile Gigabyte rolled out it's D.E.S. Advanced that allows for power saving schemes even while overclocking, to use those features though I need to flash my bios to F4 (F3 version was shortlived as it had a flaw with Intel RAID-0, it was up for a week or so before being removed and replaced on the site with F4).

I installed @Bios on Vista 32-bit, turned off all apps, and my Antivir residend shield, and used the offline bios update. After hitting the "flash bios" button in 3 seconds or less, hell broke loose, I was flooded with "kernel memory failure" errors and I had to reset as the system was non responsive. Bios was corrupt, and my dual bios kicked in repairing the bad flash.

I wasnt very nervous the 1st time I updated to F2, because I never had a bad flash before. Now I kind of hesitate to try again and see what happens... I know that updating BIOS is very risky, but I had confidence in my dual bios.

I am curios about what I may have done wrong? Is it because I flashed from Vista? And most importantly, what would be the safest way to try again?

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    You really need to flash in dos,using a boot disc with the flash utility and bios on it,or if your bios allows load the bios to a floppy and use your bios's utility.

Format a floppy and select copy system files or try http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Dont worry,the duel bios will save you again if things go tits up. :)

3. Black Hades

Black Hades

Thanks Received:
    Havent used a floppy drive in 4 years, dont have any lying around, none that are working that is.. and I dont know where I could get a diskette these days.:)

Yes I know the dual bios will probably kick in, but here's the thing... I probably understood the whole mechainsm wrong: I thought that the backup bios would restore the F1 original bios, but it didnt, it restored my F2 with overclock settings and all. So I guess that means that it realy keeps the last working config, I thought that the backup bios would be the fool proof ROM F1.

Cant I update from a flash drive with Qflash? Floppy diskettes make me nervous, I wouldnt trust them with a redundant spreadsheet let alone my bios :p

So.. QFlash just as bad as @Bios?

4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Your bios may support updating from usb,have a look. :)

5. wolf2009 Guest

Thats nice to know what happened to you. I was afraid to update my EX-38 DS4 to latest F5 bios . But now that i know dual bios kicks in I'll update it to F5 .

6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My p5q-e has duel bios,and they are socketed now,i love you asus.

Duel bios ftw:rockout:

7. Black Hades

Black Hades

Thanks Received:
    Yes, my Qflash supports usb flash memory.

A few minutes ago I tried to back-up my current bios on it and all the data on the stick "dissapeared" till Vista recovered the data. the 1Gb usb flash pen appeared to be blank, however a auto-scan detected the data and recovered it all, including the bios I saved. Dont know if it was saved properly though, wouldnt try a restore from it after such an error.