1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Pictured

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 13, 2010.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte's upcoming extreme high-end motherboard that made news for being the foundation of some world-record overclocking feats based on the Core i7 980X EE processor, the GA-X58A-UD9, has finally faced the lens. The picture reveals a beastly-looking socket LGA-1366 motherboard featuring a very strong VRM and full-on PCI-Express connectivity. The CPU is powered by what appears to be a 24-phase VRM, which draws power from two 8-pin connectors. It is wired to six DDR3 DIMM slots for triple-channel memory.

The heatsinks over the CPU VRM are connected to the those over the chipset with heatpipes, the heatsink over the X58 chipset has a fusion cooler which can provide water-cooling, as well as attach to a Silent Pipe heatsink block. The heatsink over the ICH10R southbridge is about as big as the ones on the UD5, Extreme, and UD7 models. We expect there to be one or two nForce 200 bridge chips over the two x16 links from the X58 chipset, giving out a total of four x16 links. All 7 expansion slots are PCI-Express x16, looking at the three blocks of external PCI-E lane switches, there indeed are three x16 links split between six slots, and the 7th being a full x16 slot. So the electrical configuration could be x16/x8, x8, x16/x8, x8, x16/x8, x8, x16, for the seven slots.

[​IMG]

Connectivity features include six SATA 3 Gb/s from the ICH10R, two additional controllers giving out four additional SATA ports (color-coded white), of which at least two are 6 Gb/s, an IDE connector, 8+2 channel audio, two gigabit Ethernet interfaces, FireWire, USB 3.0, and a number of USB 2.0 ports. Since the GA-X58A-UD9 is already available with some professional overclockers, market availability doesn't look far away.

Source: XtremeSystems Forums

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Rakesh95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG nice!!, they choose not to use the blue orange colour scheme
    Wait the pictures in black and white, how come?

3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    This looks like a winner, I think it would be good for GB to actually try new color schemes though. The blue and white is getting old to me. The pic in B&W shows that board could look good blacked out :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    because they can

5. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I was getting excited at the prospect of the colour scheme being black and grey then.

*Sigh*

More pastel colours?

6. uber_cookie

uber_cookie

Thanks Received:
    6xSATA 3Gbs, insn't that backwards...? it should of been 6xSATA 6Gbs 2xSATA 3Gbs

Thats not right ;)

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    intel ICH10R doesnt come with SATA 3 6Gb. so no, its not backwards.

8. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    That looks badass, but only if it looks the same in colour as it does in that black and white photo.

9. Laykun

Laykun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seen one of these in person. It was truely a beautiful sight to behold. The extra power molex at the bottom of the board for powering the extra video cards is sort of retarded though, as a dual slot card cannot be fit in with the molex populated, and I'd think even a single slot card would have difficulty.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte = rubbish
    For some reason i don't have any confidence in them even if their PCB is made of 1cm solid copper, packed with 100 phases and uses diamond made capacitors.

11. Andrew New Member

Thanks Received:
    This means we can have something like this?

slot 1 - x16/x8 = GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper @x16
    slot 2 - x8 = Raid Card @x8
    slot 3 - x16/x8 = GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper @x16
    slot 4 - x8 = Killer Xeno NIC card @x1
    slot 5 - x16/x8 = GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper @x16
    slot 6 - x8 = Sound Card @x1
    slot 7 - x16= GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper @x16

12. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    it's become boring, an UDx version everyday without real improvement from older UDx version in cooling, i like gigabyte products but the fact is this thing become for trade only, i still remember first ultra durable release not things become shifting, the old UD become UD3 now or UD4, now the UD9 it's same like UD7 but with black PCB, which is the UD7 was an UD5 before a year

13. caleb

Thanks Received:
    There wont be any totally black and white motherboard because light goes faster on bright colour boards and companies rather get more performance.

14. Ipatinga

Thanks Received:
    UD9 What?

1 - A black design :respect: would be nice (out with the blue :eek: )

2 - Why gigabyte does not give us a northbridge waterblock with G1/4 :rockout: threads? Why the hell impose a 3/8" :banghead: connection on high end? Jezzzz.

15. nopower09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never saw black battery

16. ACEkombatkiwi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like its XL-ATX form factor as well meaning case selection will be limited just like the EVGA 4way SLI, which isn't all bad by any means I just hope case manufacturers will catch on hint hint Silverstone I want a new TJ07 revision

17. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm currently running the UD7, and that's badass. I can't imagine what the UD9 will be like to work with. Gigabyte rules the x58 world, and they just keep bringing it.

18. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Rules? Really? Are you basing this on personal experience because most review sites pick the EVGA and ASUS X58 boards over Gigabyte.

19. EarlZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    You do understand how review sites work right ?

@Topic

Is there really any substantial differences between a UD5/UD7/UD9 in terms of overclocking performance on a non extreme level , I seriously believe not but someone please prove me wrong.

20. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope not unless your running SUBZERO, I have a UD3 and run it @ 200 blk 24/7 no dramas there.

21. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Sure, they're not always reliable but that doesnt answer the question. Theres a lot of customer reports of squealing Gigabyte X58 boards and i havent heard of Gigabyte boards performing better in any test over EVGA or Asus. Just wondered what his reasons were.

Anyway here is the full color pics:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Gallery/171976,gigabyte-x58a-ud9-motherboard.aspx

99% of X58 board will do 4ghz especially wth a DO chip

22. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL. I've owned nearly every Gigabyte x58 motherboard thats been available, and a total of 14 different x58 motherboards in total. I've tested them all extensively. The ONLY board that MAY be better than the Gigabyte UD5, Extreme and UD7 is the EVGA Classified, and that is debateable. All of them have been incredibly stable, and the build quality of Gigabytes x58 boards is simply unmatched.

I have no bias to any particular brand. I just found that Gigabyte is just better for the x58 platform, much like I found Asus to be the overall best with s775.

23. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Because its in a blue orange colour scheme

24. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
  25. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the rampage and premium boards? Anyway thats fine if its just your opinion.

If you put into Google "squealing X58" you'll see just about every post related to Gigabyte boards and i know people personally who have RMAd because of squealing UD3/UD5 boards.

Too risky for me cos i hate noisy PCs.