1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 260

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by fango, May 16, 2010.

1. fango New Member

Thanks Received:
    .. for some unknown reason gigabyte gtx 260 fan is far more noisy as before, when PC is idle that noise is louder, it looks like "buzzing" sound with lower/higher peek, like the fan is rotating faster then slower with some difficulties .. msi afterburner helps me in a way to hear fan rotating just fine on a max or min setting, but that sound in the background is still there, could it be something with fan's bearings? .. also, fan is clean (no dust) as a new one

GPU-Z

GPU temp. 52C
    PCB temp. 43C
    GPU temp. 44.5C
    PCB temp. 43.5C
    Fan speed 40%
    Fan speed 1447-1449 rpm

thanks!
  2. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it have the reference fan? temps seems to be about right.
  3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    If this is your idle temperature then either - your have plus 30 C in your room, or your need to clean the radiator. My GPU is 43 C @ 22 C. How many miles does the card have to its name? Mine is ½ year old but have been running 60-70 % fan speed 24/7 since day one and the bearings are still fine. Try the cleaning and see if it helps. You will be surpriced how much dust is in there. Be prepaired to clean the GPU and the radiator if you take them apart and add new thermal compound.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. fango New Member

Thanks Received:

well, card is about 5 months old, works 12/7 roughly .. sure, I could clean fan and other parts more, even it looks clean enough to me, so the temperature is not right? .. or like boogah says it is?
  5. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    PCB temp are fine. The GPU is OK, just higher then it could be if you clean it. There is no way that you can judge the state of the radiator by looking at the fan. My fan looked OK, but I removed enough stuff from the radiator to nit a sweater....

Unless you have been very unlucky I'm sure that your fan bearing has 2-3 more years in them. Have your tried to run the fan at a fixed speed, not in auto?
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. fango New Member

Thanks Received:
    .. fixed speed? .. I can use afterburner to do this or?
  7. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found with my evga model if the s-video output is enabled the card idles around 51c, with it disabled it idles around 43c too, perhaps the op has this enabled
  8. fango New Member

Thanks Received:

.. where to check that in windows 7?
  9. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    Another reason for it could be coil/capacitor whine.