1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 560ti issues

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Mboorman, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Mboorman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, my Gigabyte GTX 560ti drops its frequency down to 405 core and 324 mem randomly during gameplay. The only way to bring it back up to 900 core 1000 mem is to restart the PC. The problem persists sometimes 1 min into games or up to 30 mins. I havent overclocked the card at all and I use MSI Afterburner to monitor clocks / temps. Temps never go above 55 deg celcius. Drivers are 266.66. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Bloo

Bloo New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats unstability for sure. It happen to my 460 when i overclock the video ram too far.

Try lowering the clocks a little or wait for a new driver release

Sorry for my bad english
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it happens to all my GTX400 cards when I overclock them just past being stable. I think it is the driver going into safe mode when it crashes.

Since you card is at stock, I'd RMA it, because it shouldn't be unstable at stock speeds.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    That shouldn't be happening, but you're not using the card heavily. I'd see about RMA/returning it for another one.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    He states in the OP that he doesn't overclock his card. It's most likely a driver issue.
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    try a diff driver 260.99 is my fav so far
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about the driver on the package, does it act the same
  8. Domestic_ginger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would do something on my old 260 when OCing. Its a failed OC imo and you should seek to replace it. Stock is 820? so this is a factory OC?
  9. Mboorman New Member

Thanks Received:
    The driver that came with the card I have not tried. The card is a factory overclocked Gigabyte (not the SOC). However I reinstalled the 266.66 again and it works fine for a while then slows right down, black screens for a bit, and then is working again all in about 3-5 secs. Seems that the drivers crashing then recovering and it does this about every 20ish minutes or so. The fact that reinstalling the drivers changed (not fixed) the problem leads me to believe that it may not be the card, hopefully. The card worked perfectly for the first week and only started this yesterday. Would it be worth running it at nvidia stock speeds to see if it changes? Thanks for the help.
  10. Mboorman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, ran at stock Nvidia speeds, same fault. Installed 266.44 drivers from supplied disc. Played for last 2 hrs and so far so good. Hope it was as simple as that but I wont hold my breathe.
  11. mupet0000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey man, I have the same card on 266.66 drivers with the exact same problem! I have not tried downgrading my drivers, how is it going?

I need to know if this can be fixed or if these Gigabyte cards are screwed and I need to RMA.

There is also a thread going on at the official nVidia forums here where a lot of users have the same issue with the Gigabyte card.
  12. Mboorman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Mupet, Ive seen several forums now with the same faults on all brands, stock and oc cards. It seems to be an issue with the voltage and clock setting changing and only seems to be prevelant on the 266.66 drivers. I installed the 266.44 drivers and it hasnt done it again since but the weekend will be the true test as mine only started after continuous usage. Hopefully the next driver set will rectify this issue. Hope this helps mate.
  13. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Back when I had a Gigabyte ATI 5850 I noticed that they make custom firmware (call it bios) and have no clue.
    Apart from that, it could be an auto-protection when heat is too much: bad cooling or bad thermal compund...

Does it slow down when benching with, say Unique or Kombuster ?

Edit: Forget the above if it is solved with drivers :)
  14. Cratzky New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this issue appears when:
    1.You have Adaptive selected in the nvidia control panel
    2.having the web browser in the background because its mostly hardware accelerated by your graphic card (2d clocks)

Try change the Power Management Mode in the nvidia control panel from Adaptive to Prefer maximum performance, and then restart the computer and do some gaming.
  15. mupet0000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright I am on the 266.44 drivers and am experiencing the exact same black screen crash. I have GPU-Z open and while it crashes the clock speed does go down, sometimes to 405mhz, sometimes to 50mhz, then it goes right back up to 900mhz but the game is either frozen or crashed by then.

I have performance selected not adaptive, so it's not that Cratzky. I think these cards are just broken.

Strangely enough it runs fine through furmark (Kombuster) without any problem. I did hear that nVidia limited the performance on apps like this.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011