• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX570 OC Issues [Game Freezes]

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 Rev2
Cooling OCZ Vendetta w/Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000RPM Fan
Memory 8 gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 9-9-9-27
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2
Storage 3x Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Display(s) 22" Samsung LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX-620 620W
Software Windows 7
Hi everyone,

I've currently got a GTX570 OC (factory OC) which has been having problems for a while now.

Previously, what would happen is that the screen would go black and come back on again with an error, "Display driver nVIDIA windows kernel mode driver version (I can't remember what it was, 307 or 8 I think) stopped responding". It didn't matter if I had nothing running, just the desktop. Now, this has happened with older drivers as well (I've religiously updated the drivers hoping it'd fix it), it doesn't happen all that often so I just let it go.

Recently however, I have had a different issue that has manifested itself in the past couple of months. I first noticed this while playing Borderlands 2.

What would happen is that the game would freeze but the sound would play. I could holy trinity it (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and the computer would be fine outside of the game. Funnily enough, after about 30 seconds, I can bring up the game window again and it'd be back to normal.

I've tested this issue on other games as well. Red Faction, Saints Row, Guild Wars 2, and it happens to them as well.

I've tried upping the voltage to 1.010V as was suggested (apparently they're undervolted) and also underclocked it to 10% below stock and it still happens.

The PSU I'm using is a Corsair TX620.

Any ideas what the problem might be?