1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE GV-R587OC-1GD Video Playback

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by hajabooja, Jan 29, 2011.

1. hajabooja New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a friend with the GIGABYTE GV-R587OC-1GD (GIGABYTE GV-R587OC-1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit ...). He put it in and started up some games, everything ran fine. No problems at all! When he goes to play any type of streaming videos (youtube, gametrailers, etc..) he gets a blue screen or the computer freezes. From what I have been able to find online, the card needs a bios update. However, when we go to the Gigabyte website and find that card, there is no update for it. There is an update for the non-overclocked version the GIGABYTE GV-R587UD-1GD (GIGABYTE GV-R587UD-1GD Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT)...). Is it possible to flash the GV-R587UD-1GD bios to the GV-R587OC-1GD card? The bios he currently has on the card is a much older version. Thank you

2. MrPerFecTioN2k4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am the friend he is talking about.
    I submitted a support ticket at Gigabyte.com, but i'm sure I can get an answer here faster.

Last night I played Black ops and Bad Company 2 for several hours with no problems. Then as soon as I get off and play a YouTube clip or Gametrailer, my computer will completely freeze, screen will go black, and then everything comes back. I usually get a message telling me that the "Catalyst drivers have stopped responding and have recovered". Typically if I keep trying to watch a video it will freeze again or give me a blue screen.

From what I have read, the BIOS update for the Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD will fix these problems for THAT card. The only difference I can see between these cards is that mine has a core clock speed of 870MHz. Now... are these cards similar enough that I can just use that BIOS update to fix my card? There is no BIOS update for my card (GV-R587OC-1GD).

p.s. I just formatted and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All drivers are up to date and I have the most recent Catalyst drivers.

3. MrPerFecTioN2k4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Welp. Guess no one has a clue about this. And Gigabyte won't answer... Wonderful...