1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Question!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Melvis, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    The question is does Gigabyte still make there motherboards in Taiwan? reason why I am asking is because Just last week I had a customer call me and have his 1 week old Gigabyte motherboard die on him and that's the first for me seeing a gigabyte mobo die that fast. Only ever had one other die on me before and that was socket AM2 after 1.5yrs of use. Anyway I noticed that in the last three years, well at least from socket AM3 that the motherboards are all made in china, and ive had some old china motherboards before sent directly from china and the quality was terrible compared to the Taiwanese made boards. Now I am not saying that these latest boards are terrible quality, they actually look pretty good, but I have always found that the Taiwanese made motherboards to be better all round. So do they still manufacture boards in Taiwan? or is it all from China now? or is it just that Australia only now get China made motherboards because there cheaper? I like to know as I like to have good quality parts or continue that to my customers.

Let me know :toast:

2. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Anyone? :ohwell:

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Which one comes first: Taiwanese motherboards appear to be better because they only make good ones in Taiwan and outsource poorer designs to China, or Taiwanese boards are inherently better than China due to quality of workers? I personally think its the former, best things are usually kept inhouse while cheaper designs are outsourced to a foreign factory.

As for whether Gigabyte still making motherboards in Taiwan, I am not sure. What I am sure is that Gigabyte's boards are still very good in terms of quality and I have no problems recommending them to anyone, regardless of where they are made.

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    I dunno but many comes from china, but from wherever its if it has good brand you can rely on that like for warranty as example and quality control.
    Personally i believe good brand wont give you bad stuff

5. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Every brand can have a lemon.

Law-II says thanks.
  6. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    funny about product origins, maybe not always countries but certainly factories get reps.. I would never get a vw assembled outside Europe for instance... its not prejudice its statistics...
    I wounder about the GB technologists and wether they are doing statistical analysis of board failure rates in china vs their china?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Melvis says thanks.
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Probably made by Foxconn in China.

8. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't read anything into it, it doesn't matter where its from, sometimes you just get a lemon, nor would I base quality of a company based on 1 bad experience, I have used Gigabyte, Asrock, Asus, Foxconn, MSI, they all have lemons at 1 time or another.

9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Some people can kill a board fairly quickly

10. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thats true, Just never got an Gigabyte boards from a retailer here that where made in China before 2010.

Hope not :ohwell:

Well Ive noticed in older AM2 boards that was made in China where horrible compared to Taiwan made boards, all the plastic used for the PCI, PCI-E and RAM slots where dull and weak in plastic construction compared to the Taiwanese made boards. You can just tell from looking at the two there was a clear difference. But these Designed in Taipei boards look pretty good over all, almost as good as the Taiwan made boards. Time will tell i guess.

To true, he did screw up a few things while he was building it so he might of damaged it by mistake.

11. sno.lcn

sno.lcn

Thanks Received:
    They were making boards when I visited the Gigabyte factory in Taiwan 3 years ago.

Melvis says thanks.
  12. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I totally misread the " some poeple can kill a board" into a comment about MESSAGE BOARDS! LMAO

13. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    My comment about VW stems from the high rate of door and other failures from VW mexico...
    Im not saying it about a country, only that some plants are horrid, even in the same country.
    In 07 I bought a big monitor, before they where cheaper and in vogue.. oops but I got it on black friday super deal waiting outside a big box store! So, the ACER monitor I was buying had 4 different "series" of id strings showing factory origin. Be a good shopper I looked all this up, yep Google is my friend, and fond one better than the other three.... .. so I felt better and it is a statistical truth that there are variances based on origin of parts..